EX-Pats and Owners Abroad

Discussions for EX-Pats and owners abroad or those who are considering this idea.
Danzacurt is obviously speaking from experience - very good advice.

Another point I would like to mention is that until you live in the country, only then will you know which area you prefer to live. Most people have a dream to live looking at the sea. In reality during summer months, first line beach apartments can be noisy, heavy tourist and traffic can become tiresome.

Re. NIE - If you buy a property in Spain you have to have an NIE number. A good Solicitor would apply for this on your behalf and the cost would be included in the fees.

You can also go along to the local police station with a copy of your passport, 2 passport size photos and apply for this yourself. There are no costs involved. Some Agents/Gestorias will offer to do this for you but of course they will charge you.

Try to go first thing in the morning to avoid horrendous queues.
Re the NIE number! Yes, you do have to have the number, what I am asking for clarification on is that I have been told that the card is no longer being issued?
Regarding NIE certificates, please anyone correct me if I am wrong but I was led to believe that you have to actually go to the police station in person now and that you cannot give power of atterney to anyone for this
Not so. Power of attorney can still obtain the NIE cert on your behalf after you have filled in the form.

what I am asking for clarification on is that I have been told that the card is no longer being issued?
True. All you get is an A4 sheet of paper with your NIE number on and an official stamp.

Most people have a dream to live looking at the sea. In reality during summer months, first line beach apartments can be noisy, heavy tourist and traffic can become tiresome.
You don't have to be "front line" to have a sea view. Most areas in the south overlook the sea. I live in Torviscas Alto. A good 20 min walk to the "front line" sea front, however my view overlooks Torviscas Bajo and across the sea to La gomera. From my elevated position I get unrestricted stunning views inc breathtaking sunsets and every firework display for miles around, all in complete serene silence!

Re. NIE - If you buy a property in Spain you have to have an NIE number. A good Solicitor would apply for this on your behalf and the cost would be included in the fees.
As would a good agent. (and even the bad ones!)

You can also go along to the local police station with a copy of your passport, 2 passport size photos and apply for this yourself. There are no costs involved
But it wont be processed there and then while you wait. you will have to return a few weeks later to collect it. if its not collected with a certain time frame it is rescinded. Hence the need to have someone with power of attorney if your returning to the UK in the meantime.

Try to go first thing in the morning to avoid horrendous queues
... at about 7am as they start to queue from this time. The police station in PDLA does this now so no need to trek up to Santa cruz. Make sure that you get in the "EU citizens" queue and not the line with all the Africans in! Oh and be prepared to queue twice if your a DIY applicant. they will give you a form to fill in, then you have to re-join the queue to hand it in! My recomendation is early afternoon once all the "Me first" brigade has left :wink:
I Agree with Mukum 110. At the moment the NIE desk is open Mon - Fri from 09:00 until 1:30. I would suggest going around 1 ish as the queues are generally smaller.
Just to say thanks for all the good advice you folks have given.

We contacted a number of agents before flying over for a couple of weeks this January. With a hired car and a Spanish SIM card in my phone, it was relatively painless to view a number of properties, and by the end of the first week we had a decision. In the end, we used Astliz, who were honest and helpful. With a SolBank account set up, and our NIE application underway via our Swiss solicitor, the 2nd week was a holiday.

Our new townhouse is in Los Menores, just after the end of the TF1 and has an unspoilable view to die for, whilst being high enough to catch the cooling breezes.

We looked at a few Fincas, but all within our price-range looked, well - shabby and overpriced. As it is, our new neighbours will be mostly Spanish, with a few Ex-Pats.

I love the location, with Adeje next door, a Supermaket and Hypermarket a short busride away, and a choice of Fanabe/Costa Adeje or Playa San Juan as 'local' seaside towns.

We'll be residentia by spring/summer as soon as our UK house sale completes.

This forum has been really useful, and once again I thank you all.
Hi folks
Can any one tell me is the Makro in Adeji any good? We are looking to set up home shortly and will need the complete home. But we dont want a package.
Dave & Trish
well done and congrats torrenter

how about posting some pics of the new house???
Did not find it as big as the one at home, but what they did have was cheap. There are a few stores near it to get all you need to set up home. Carole
Hello Carolthatch,

Will our British Makro card be OK for the Tenerife store?

Thank you.
not sure if anyone knows the answer to this...
When you complete on a purchase in tenerife whats the procedure for paying the taxes, stamp duty,land registry fees etc.?
Our Lawyer requested the money (for expenses, taxes fees etc and the balance of the price) before completion but does he pay the expenses on our behalf? He's suggested that the money is paid directly by the bank with whom we have the mortgage but that doesn't seem right when we've paid him the money
Does anyone know what the usual procedure is or have any experience of the process? - it just seems to be very very different from the UK!
Rpollins

Our taxes were paid direct by our bank when we completed on our apt.

Our bank manager assured us this was normal
Our bank paid ours also.
With regards to your makro card, you will need your U.K. card and your passport. Carole
Thank you Carolthatch!

All being well will soon join 'the great bargain hunt'.

Margaretta 8)
well done and congrats torrenter

how about posting some pics of the new house???

I was only able to take a couple of shots during the viewing, but Here's a view from the roof terrace. You can just just see La Gomera on the right.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.