Greece and other Greek Island Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Greece and other Greek Islands.
you might get a better response if you posted this under the Greek Islands forum heading.
Topic transferred from 'Other Destinations'

David :wave
Depends what you're after. We loved Mykonos, stayed in Ornos which is very quiet, superb beach, a few tavernas which were good, one on the beach (voile draped all over the place) was exceptionally good, short bus ride into Mykonos town where you will find lots of good restaurants, great for people and pelican watching!
You can book trips to other islands from the town, if you like historical sights go to Delos.
Would say prices are a bit higher than other Greek islands.
We're going back at the end of Sept and can't wait!
Comparing Mykonos and Paxos is a bit like comparing chalk and cheese.

I've never been to Mykonos, but have the impression of a busy, cosmopolitan island with plenty of shops and nightlife and lots of very trendy, fashion-conscious visitors.

I've been to Paxos 13 times now, having just returned from 3 weeks there in July and it's a very quiet, laid-back island, where the most exciting thing that happens most days is when someone parks their car along the narrow roads and the bus driver has to beep his horn until they move it so that he can get past and where you could happily live in the same clothes for a fortnight without anyone caring. There aren't really any resorts on Paxos, just 3 coastal villages, the smallest and most beautiful (imho) of which is Loggos. The beaches on Paxos are mostly shingle and rarely get crowded, but are wonderful for snorkelling because the pebbly bottom helps to keep the water crystal clear and if you need sunbeds, umbrellas and a constant supply of cold drinks, I'm afraid that you'll probably have to take your own because, with a very few exceptions, the beaches are completely untouched and undeveloped.

If you want total relaxation amongst gorgeous natural scenery, with saphire and turquoise seas and olive-clad hills, then Paxos is definitely the place to go. I've posted some of the photos I took this year at http://uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/xenosinloggos/my_photos

If you're looking for good nightlife and more man-made attractions, then Mykonos would probably suit you better.

If you decide Paxos sounds like what you're looking for, I'd be happy to give you more information about prices, accommodation, etc.
Lakka is my favourite, I was enjoying a beer when the loudest most violent storm I have ever experienced came over from Corfu...

We all headed under cover as the lightning and rain lashed down and food was served under golf umbrellas from the taverna kitchen.

Just over the road a guy was playing backgammon with the local priest in the shelter of the doorway of the apothecary - neither flinched or took any notice of dantes inferno overhead ...

Never have I returned so chilled out from holiday or so rested...
PAxos is one of the more expensive islands, but from what I understand Mykonos (along with Santorini and Hydra) isw THE expensive island.

Both times I've been to Paxos, I've come away muttering darkly about the cost of it all....but it's now 15 months since my last visit and I'mm plotting a return at some time...

Go Paxos!! You know it makes sense!
Helen! Is the siren's call finally getting to you? :wink:

Actually, as far as prices on Paxos are concerned, we didn't think it was that expensive this year. Whether that's because we've become used to the prices, or because they have really reduced their margins, I'm not sure, but we averaged around 35 euros a night for 2 people, with starters, mains and a litre of house wine and only managed to go above 40 euros once in 3 weeks. And that included Nassos Taverna's superb fillet steaks on several evenings, so we weren't exactly trying to keep to a tight budget.
Blimey - that HAS come down a bit - the only place that came in that cheaply in Lakka was Nionio's....

I've got 2006 already booked.....but who knows 2007?
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.