Greece and other Greek Island Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Greece and other Greek Islands.
Naxos
8 Posts
hi, we went to naxos a few years ago with first choice , but i think they may have dropped it , kosmar are going there 2007 we have been to paros with them and the transfers are quite nice naxos/paros share the the same transfer boat. hope you find some where. kev
Thanks for the replies: found Greeksun VERY expensive, Kosmar not too bad, I`m suprised that some of the larger operators don`t cover more of the smaller greek islands, even diy works out quite expensieve, may have to have a re think about this. :roll:
It's the ferry transfers the big boys don't like, and the smaller companies have to cost in the staff to put you on the ferry, meet you at the other end and allow for delays due to winds etc etc.

If you're reasonably fit, active and adventurous I'd recommend DIY, especially if you're accessible to Heathrow. BA do three flights a day to Athens. The overnight one is usually only about £75 one way booked at this time of the year. The bus from airport to Piraieus is about 90 minutes, and last year there were two ferries a day to Naxos and Paros. Alternatively, you can fly into Ios or Mykonos by charter and then short ferry, but those ferries were less predictable - the meltemi winds. Which is what the big boys didn't like.

I think you can through book with BA onto Olympic to reach Naxos by air, but Olympic do tend to be a rule unto themselves.

Lovely island - lots of variety, especially with older children. Worth a try.

JimB
http://www.jimbaerselman.f2s.com/
Contains quite a lot of Greek stuff
It's no problem at all to get to Naxos. It is easiest to fly to Athens and then a ferry, or fly to Santorini and then ferry. The ferries on this route are large and reliable with several per day. It is easy peasy to get to Naxos independently and cheaper than the package operators.
The package operators shoot themselves in the foot by using a small ferry from Mykonos to Paros/Naxos.
We stayed at the Galaxy hotel just outside Naxos town and found the hotel and location perfect. It is one of the easier islands to get to but as Ouzo says avoid the smaller ferries from Mykonos. The hi speed cats are excellent although the seas in this area can be notoriously unpleasant. Greek Sun do package Naxos via Athens, as you say not cheap. We have tried on several occasions to arrange independent travel but packages are hard to beat especially if things go wrong. Travel via Mykonos /Paros is easy but be prepared to spend a night or two there if the ferries are cancelled. Do make the effort Naxos is a great island.
Greek sun are considerably more expensive than Kosmar but their prices are based on scheduled flights to Athens and then onto the Islands. You can also pretty much choose any day you like as long as there is availability.

They've arranged 2 fab holidays for us and provide an excellent service.

If they're too pricey, Naxos is still worth a visit but the beach next to the main town gets VERY busy in the summer. Paros is worth a day trip too.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.