EX-Pats and Owners Abroad

Discussions for EX-Pats and owners abroad or those who are considering this idea.
need a NIE
6 Posts
The requirements for obtaining an NIE change from time to time. You will obviously need an aplication form which can be found here http://www.spainexpat.com/images/uploads/NIE.pdf , a handful of passport photos, and a great deal of paitience.

You will have to go to a National Police Station, the smaller, local ones will not be able to help you.

Why not get your solicitor to do it all for you?
thanks, we are still looking for "Our place" and want to get the NIE straight away so that it is in place, then get involved with the legal people once we have found a property. We will be in Albir for 4 weeks and I have heard that the NIE can take up to 4 weeks to get through, so we want to start it up as soon as we get there. Do we need that to open a Bank account aswell, thanks again, :cheers, Norma
I can understand your enthusiasm for moving here, but the Solicitor that you choose to handle your property purchase will also be well trained in the process of obtaining NIE numbers. He will either make the application on your behalf, or at the very least, arrange for you to obtain it at the time it is actually needed. They can be got on the same day if urgently required.

You do not need a bank account for an NIE number, but you will of course need it for your purchase.
My advice is also to use a solicitor..I bought in May 2007 but was unable to go over just before to complete, I gave the power of attourney to my solicitor and he sorted everything; NIE numbers, direct debits for community charges, water, utilities etc...I never moved a muscle and it wasn't that expensive either, and far less hassle. :)

Good luck.
Hi, we bought an appartment in Tenerife last year. We found a very good estate agent who did everything for us, even befor we bought a property. She made the appointment at the Police Station the first day we arrived and had the forms already completed. Take plenty of colour photocopies of your passport. We then collected the NIE certificate the following week. We had already opened a spanish bank account before we left home. Most UK banks have arrangements with spanish banks. We went with Solbank, (check out English web-site, they also have a London office). We transfer funds before we left home. We also arranged a Spanish mortage, fixed for the full term. We chose our property on the second day, and completed within the 2 week holiday. We even left things in the appartment for our return. The answer is to do plenty of research before you go. Find an estate agent your get on with, and trust. Make sure they know you are serious and they are the only one. We had great service, with no problems, and now both the estate agent and bank manager are friends. Come back if you want more help.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.