Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
bellybally wrote:

What is the turkish dishes like? (we dont eat burgers pizzas etc...) we like to eat at the local restaurants and try different foods. We absolutely love greek food - esp the tiziki and pitta bread- is the food similar- and what dishes are recommended. ?

You'll find that food is varied and from most corners of the world. Marmaris isn't my favourite place in Turkey, I much prefer Icmeler just up the road, but you'll find food to tickle your taste buds, I wouldn't worry about that. There's long lines or restaurants serving lots of different things.

Also any other recomendations would be great- any hints or tips?

The boat trips are pretty good and good value. They'll take you out of the bay, up the coast line stopping off for swimming and snorkelling in the many bays. The mud baths up at Dalyan is a good day out. You won't go wrong for shopping in the bazaar, just remember a lot of the good are 'genuine fakes'!

Darren
Hi belly :wave:
I will be completely honest- turkey is a place i have never fancied going to- ( i cannot pin point the reason- its just never appealed- i know some folk will be thinking- "don,t knock it, until you'v tried it- and i agree!!!),

Now we had never fancied Turkey either, heard all the stories etc and then 2 years ago for no particular reason I much to Mrs. Kilties concern booked a holiday in Dalyan.

We too love Greece but I decided on a change and Turkey it was.

We were both surprised and delighted when we arrived, the locals are not in the least the way they are portrayed and they couldn't have been nicer or friendlier. No hassle and genuinely a welcoming and friendly people and we found them to be honest (well do be wary of the market traders :D ) and very trusting.

We enjoyed Dalyan so much we went back to the Central Park Hotel this year again and the owner Kudret is so nice that we are going back again next year.

You will find that the Turkish food shares a lot with Greek food and as Darren mentions you have a huge choice to pick from.

I can't really comment on Marmaris as we have only spent a few hours there, it was much bigger and busier than Dalyan which wasn't my cup of apple tea.

Go and enjoy and I am sure you will have a great time :tup

Graham
hey guys!

thanks so much for your replies!

I think maybe we should have booked maybe a quieter resort- but where we are staying its a couple of miles away in a peaceful location- which we do prefer.

Im looking forward to going now- 8 years ago we were talked into going to corfu with some friends (again I always said i never fancied Greece- and we have been going every year since - before it was always spain. Since going to greece we have never been back to spain for our mains hols- (except a few days with the girls). So it shows how wrong you can be!!

Thanks again for your replies

belly x
Lots of people dont fancy Turkey but once they have been they return.
We have been going for 23 years along with other places but always return to Turkey at least once a year.
My friend got a deal earlier this year to the Hibiscus Gardens and loved it.
When you are there take the Dolmus(mini bus) to Icmeler which is quieter resort which is set on a scenic bay and has a better beach just in case you want to return. :tup
hi belly we both love turkey but like kiltman we love the smaller resorts like dalyan/alyana/olu deniz and not realy liked the blackpool in the sun resorts of marmaris and ishmella..turkey has got a small reputation of men pestering single ladies as we found out when we took our daughter and grandkids one year. a firm not interested go away should do if not a swift kick may do it ))
don't be put off turkey is a lovely place with nice people try it and next time try dalyan on the riverbank its magical..
next time try dalyan on the riverbank its magical..

It is indeed a lovely little resort set on the river with boat trips up on to the lake or a trip down river to the superb beach :tup
Again thanks you for taking time out to reply.

Jay - thats exactly what i had in mind visiting icmeler and daylan and if we do enjoy would probably go back to a quieter resort.

Just one final question guys - are the mosquetoes (sp??) are they as bad in turkey as they are in greece (corfu)?- Or is there none there? (she asks with fingers crossed- :)

belly x
bellybally,

Mozzies are around, but I've never been bothered by them. They're in low numbers usually. It's hot and dry in September normally (although you can get odd showers / storms setting in towards the end of the month) so they shouldn't be anything to worry about.

Darren
The council usually come round early morning and spray in the gutters where there may be pools of water and I have never been bitten in Marmaris or Icmeler.
There is a repellent called Off that is available in all the local shops.
Hi Bellybally

I'm sure you will love Turkey when you get there. Lots of people don't seem to fancy it but then end up loving it when they get there. Marmaris isn't my favourite place but if you are a couple of miles out it should be quieter. Buses are great in Turkey, it is so easy to get round so you can see other places too.

Turkish food is similar to Greek, you will get bread like pitta, it is called pide in Turkish and it is fatter. They also have pide with meat or cheese which is lovely. Souvlaki are kebaps, you get many of the same meze dishes like tzatsiki, in Turkey you get cacik or haydari. Borek is the same too. Keftede are kofte in Turkish. So I'm sure you will fidn loads you will love to eat. And of course they have baklava :)
Turkish people are very friendly and they will stop to chat with you all the time. Turkish men are a bit more forward than Greek men but as long as you show you are not interested they will leave usually you alone. Do as the Turkish girls do and ignore them if they start ;)
Unfortunatley there are mozzies there too so get some repellent in case. Lemon cologne is also good for keeping them away, you can buy it in all the little shops and it is cool and refreshing too.
I'm sure you'll have a good holiday. Some parts of Marmaris are not where we would choose to go, but it does have its good points, like around the harbour area, where you can wander around looking at all the amazing boats from all over the world. If you walk right to the end there are some pretty classy, upmarket shops.
You can get water taxis very easily from Marmaris to Icmeler and also on to Turunc, which is a much smaller village resort in a beautilful bay. As someone else mentioned the organised boat trips are a great day out usually very good value for money, and give you a chance to take in the beautiful scenery all along the coast
I'm sure if you choose where you eat you won't be disappointed with the food! Marmaris is a resort that caters for the mass market UK tourist industry, but you'll still find lovely Turkish food which is wonderful,.chicken, lamb, steak and fish are all available in abundance, and cooked in some delicious sauces. Every meal is accompanied by fresh vegetables, salad or rice. In some restaurants you can see the bread being made and then baked in open ovens.You can also experience the typically Turkish Meze, which are small dishes consisting of aubergine, tomatoes, beans, courgettes often with yoghurt, garlic, chillies,pepper and fresh herbs. Hot meze are also available and are usually small parcels of filo pastry containing meat or cheese. Meze can be eaten as a starter or maybe as a light lunch.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Apartment rental in beautiful area of Turkey, perfect location for a wonderful holiday http://www.turuncapartment.com
hi all

thanks again for replies, and sorry for delay in replying- been off work with flu!

The food sounds lovely, glad the mozzies not as bad as in greece.

Some great advice tips and recommendations- thanks for all for taking time out to reply

belly x
A bit no one has mentioned Ephesus as a trip for a newbie.
I know it is a long trip from Marmaris but is well worth the effort...if you are into ruins that is.
You can also get to Rhodes from Marmaris. If you are there when it is on, go to the weekly market in Icmeler. If you should fall in love with Turkey and you are into ruins, then you could take your next Turkish holiday in Kusadasi which is a Dolmus ride away from Ephesus.

Les
Hi bellybally.I got a good deal last May with thomascook also for the Hibiscus Gardens,our first stay there,they are in the Armutalan area,not a noisy part.The apartments are a bit dated but large and kept very clean,the staff were very friendly and not at all pushy asking you to eat there,their food was very good.Some nice restaurants very close and also the dolmus that will take you to the centre and marina,a 24hr minimarket is right opposite the entrance,we enjoyed our stay there and wouldnt hesitate going back. :)
Hi bellybally. Another thing - kebabs come in many guises. Could be on a skewer, in a wrap or as a casserole.If in doubt just ask.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.