DIY Holidays

Discussion relating to DIY holidays
new to d.i.y
15 Posts
Decide on where you want to go, and then book the low-cost flights as soon as they come out (e.g. Ryanair, bmiBaby, easyJet). You will get them at the best price that way, and it will leave you plenty of time to concentrate on accommodation. Where were you thinking of going?
Wendy
If you use the travel directory at the top of the page you,ll find some useful sites there. It depends whaere you want to go. I,ve found once you,ve picked your destination going on to the forums here will give you lots of info. Travelsupermarket is good for flight prices and comparasons. Enjoy diy it,s the best.

:D Alexa
You could also try http://www.skyscanner.co.uk.

I'd certainly agree with Emilysnana, get your flights sorted first, as theres definately no shortage of companies offering accommodation.

Jazz.
We have our accomodation already sorted out a year in advance so we won't have the hassle of finding accomodation on a yearly basis.

Get your flights booked as soon as they come out (friends bought 4 Easyjet tickets when they came out and it cost in region of £250 for all 4 - right now you're looking at £1339). Definitely pays to book early.

We booked our flights thru' Jet2.com about 3/4 weeks ago as they were cheaper than Easyjet for us and already £150 more expensive than what we paid!

Travel insurance for a family of 5 cost us £36 from Esure.
diy
I booked my flights in dec to palma for 111 pounds for 3 of us with thomsons fly from donny hotel alinclusive 500 pounds in calla millor .And benidorm for oct 127 pounds for 3 of us return and hotel cristal park alinclusive 346 puonds for all of us the earlyer you book the cheaper it is sandi
diy
when do flights first come out.
we want to anywhere within approx 4 hour flight,proberly september time.
thanks for all the replies.
Try: http://www.ryanair.com they fly from Liverpool which should suit you. Karen
if you want to go away in the summer it is always best to book in december time i did for 31.07.05 for 10 nights for 4 adults and it is costing £1166.00 for us all to alcudia majorca i used easyjet for flights and http://www.broadwaytravel.com for accommodation as broadway travel are abta and atol bonded this includes insurance through http://www.travel-insurance-web.com and transfers through elynch@telefonica.net
i always do d.i.y hols now,usually booking flights with easyjet or ryainair as they go from liverpool or manchester and just see what deals they have and go to the cheapest nicest place poss!we're about to go to spain next,early june,the flights cost 150 for all 3 of us for a week,the accommodation in Nerja is looking at £450 for a small villa with tiny pool,add the 90 for a car for the week and thats less than 700 for all three of us,if we'd have gone with a travel agents we'd have had a tiny room in a hotel with 1 bedroom and sofabed and no hire car,i know which i'd prefer!

always check out sites like ownersdirect,holidaylets.net,holiday-rentals.com,daltonsholidays and search and research (i spend far far too much time doing this tho!)
I am exactly the same. My husband wanders how anyone can spend so much time looking at holiday things, but he knows how much we have saved doing DIY and now so many of his work mates and friends as well as mine are asking me to look for holidays for them its no wonder. If only I got paid for it I could give up my part-time job. Karen
I too spend loads of time searching and researching before booking anything. I check all the review sites (I even do this if I book a package) and then weigh up the pros and cons. My husband reckons I should start my own travel business!!!

Pippa
Funnily enough so did mine. Maybe a few of us should get together and do just that? Karen
It's worth noting though that DIY doesn't always work out cheaper. I tend to check both options before i book. As tour operators manage to negotiate such low rates for accommodation they can 'sometimes' offer a better price.

If considering DIY add it all up: Flights, accommodation, transfers to and from the airport and insurance. Then check with a few travel agents, not the brochure, for their best price as they often have substantial discounts.

I've booked both types of holiday over the years and will continue to do so but i always make sure i'm getting the best possible price. :D
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.