Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
It's good that they are looking at security- we should expect that.
To be honest, if I were in Goa I would not go near a market just now. I would also avoid any large gathering on New Years Eve.
We did that in Bangkok last New Year. We went knowing that there was a possibility of trouble after the bombs the year before. We made the decision to have a good New Year in a great bar away from the possible target areas. Of course, absolutely nothing happened and we still had a brilliant time so did not regret staying away from the large parties. That was our decision and one we felt happy with. We all must do what we feel happy with.
For up to date travel advice keep an eye on the FCO India travel advice. Note that Goa has a section on its own further down the page. At the time of posting this there are no new warnings. If there were any specific threats to Goa then you would find them there.Best to check on a daily basis.
so no ingos or wednesday market at all ,is this going to be the same in january?
i reay hope not im looking forward to going to them, thats one of the reasons why im coming back,
i do understand the security reason though...

adele
The position will be revied in January. I cant see how the likes of Anjuna will be able to meet the criteria, passing through metal scanners etc, as its paddy fields all around, and you can walk in off the beach, when you come by boat, or over the hill path from Baga. Alan
I Google 'News' articles on Goa regularly, there seems to be more info' than FCO gives.

Rather than do a standard Google search, search Google NEWS. An alarming amount of current info' on terrorism related to Goa.

Will the markets ever open again?
Neil
if it was current information and not just speculation then it would be reflected in the FO advice. However, the FO does say that there is a high threat from terrorism throughout India.
The Saturday night markets are places I wouldn't visit during these times of increased security but I can't see any way they (especially they!!) can secure Anjuna.
They would never be able to secure any place properly as there are to many places bad people could get into any of these areas and to be honest they could do it at any time and not be noticed, security is only visable on the day of the event not any other time, no sniffer dogs etc patroling areas there just isnt the man power here to do it or the common sense!!!! sorry but security guards just do the basic things like going to sleep on duty (well most of them).
Think its going to be a tough job controlling the domestic crowds at christmas/new year let alone looking out for the FN tourists, think that will have to be up to the indiviual to be aware all the time and if you think theres a potential risk move away.
They will never be able to stop the shacks opertating at the thousands of people on the beaches.
I for one will stay at home and put some honeybee and a samosas out for santa see if i get lucky
:rofl :rofl or he does one of the two :rofl
Someone I work with said she knows someone who has just come back from a two week holiday in Goa, they were told to pretend they were Italian and not English (very difficult with a broad Yorkshire accent) and they were advised not to leave the hotel. I thought this was a bit extreme, hope so. I will carry on as normal and enjoy my holiday, can't let these people run your life otherwise they have won.
Never heard that one before and it was i think the hotel trying to keep their custom by telling them that rubbish. I know of a couple a few years ago being told it wasnt safe to walk about so they stayed in the hotel for a month and never got to see anything really extreme the hotel made a fortune!!
The saturday market has been asked to provide fencing all around the market and a back entrance for emergency service vehicles plus a few other additional safety precautions wonder if they comply with them!!!!
Mackies Market had increased security the last couple of years, making you walk through a metal detector (whether or not it was functioning is something else). With the boundary there being the lakes do you think that they are more likely to be given approval than either the old Ingos or Anjuna?
I think it highly unlikely as there are so many fields and the river surrounding mackies for a start anyone could access through these, and the road access is terrible its always been a problem with the amount of traffic there is on market night, at christmas and new year they block off the bridge one way at Baga and its hell on earth going anywhere, god forbid if there was an incident no one would be able to move either way
No Mackies is not running and is unlikely to be as they will not give him a license, to my knowledge only the monday market in Margo is on and wednesday in Anjuna, went there this wednesday and people be warned they are trying to bump up the prices heavily, my friend brought a dress in calangute for 99rps and exactly the same dress (quality etc) one stall owner wanted 500rps they are desparate for trade there and will try anything.
we asked about ingos and were told it wont be on at all for he forseeable future, if at all this season..
Yes. every weds from 10 till sunset. best to go after lunch, its not so hot weatherwise. and you can stay in anjuna for sunset. lots of great beach restaurants/bars. its a must once a week. theres not much else going on this season if u like to shop and soak up some atmosphere. enjoy
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.