UK and Ireland Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the UK and Ireland.
NORFOLK BROADS
16 Posts
Hi Hilda!

I've done a lot of narrow boating in the UK, including Scotland last summer, but have never been on the Broads.

On British Waterways canals, water is free, and a pump out is about £5-£10 a time. Fuel is usually charged as part of the boat hire - and the capacity of the tank is copious so you shouldn't need to refuel during your holiday. I believe that the Broads often have paid mooring, but have never had this on the canals, even in Glasgow or Edinburgh.

Might be worth looking in a good bookshop at Nicholson's Guide to the Inland Waterways - I believe it is multi volume depending on the area -and see what it says about the Broads. It certainly makes sense to plan your route, because you will probably need to fill up with water daily, even if not everyone on board is taking a shower, if you like hot water for washing up!

Wicked hint - get someone to shower whilst you are taking on water, so that you get a clean person, and a full tank at the same time!!! (Assuming that there isn't a queue for the water point of course!)
Havent been for about 5 years but spent many enjoyable holidays on the Broads. Pump out is normaly included at the end of your break or midway and the end if on a forthight. Never had to pay for water but there used to be the odd contribution box. All this info should be in the brochures.
We are thinking of boating this year as part of our holiday in Ireland.
Tip always book the biggest boat you can afford ie if 4 in party look at 6 berth boats and if posible dont rely on having to use convertible lounge areas for sleeping. gives you a bit more space for storage etc.
Hi I live in Norfolk and I can tell you that the Norfolk Broads can be cold this time of year but with the spring activity and the low number of tourists it will be well worth it. Have a great time and let us know how you get on. If you would like any local knowledge please ask and I'll try to help ;)
hilda wrote:
Any one been recently, i mean in the last 12 months,,,,,,,, ive come into a bit of money and i was looking at boating, now i went years ago with parents, twice with hubby pre kids,., and this money will pay for a week there,,,,,,,,,so, apart from it being expensive,,,,,, ive found a boat, and wondered what hidden costs they are,,,,, i konw some places charge mooring fees per night, and fuel and damage waiver is in the price but my sister tells me you have to pay for water now,,,,and toilet pump outs,,,???
any advise
cheers
hilda,,

Not been recently
BUT on the Broads boats are hired out
A/ with a full tank of diesel you paay for what you've used on return
B/ pump out is included at the end of the holiday and unless you're going for more than 2 weeks you won't need it
C/ most villages and pubs have staithes that offer free mooring OR you pay then get free drinks in the pub to the price of the fee
D/ Damage waiver is totally dependant on which boat you pick /which insurance company they use so it's different for every boat - -very useful if you've never been
E Water Now that's a new one and none of my contacts havetold me about it thoughnormally you can go for at least a week without filling up if you are conservative
Hi, We go to the Broads every year either in a cottage on the river or a boat. when booking a boat we have always used hoseasons as you know up front how much it is going to cost. Mooring prices vary but we always manage to find ones that are free, but have never been charged more than £5 a night. You are charged a set price for fuel, but they check the tank on your return and they pay you back for any you haven't used. You will have a fantastic time and we can't wait to go again.
thanks all,
i am thinking of goiing,,,,, end july beginning august,,,,, main expensive hols,, o well,,
still trying to convince hub to actually GO on holiday, as he wants another car>>

i keep looking and by the time i book all the best ones will have gone,,,,
i didnt know if there were any hidden costs that are not mentioned
what about cottage with day boat,?
We booked our cottage for this year with a company called Riverside Rentals, but have also used Hoseasons. We then arrange for a small boat to be moored in front of the property for the duration of the holiday. We like to stay at Wroxham or Horning, but the best cottages get booked up early so you will have to decide quickly.
yep,, the best ones have gone,, only one does pets,
oh well keep looking,
going on our track record.we will probably end up in ireland or wales,,,,,,?
hilda wrote:
yep,, the best ones have gone,, only one does pets,
oh well keep looking,
going on our track record.we will probably end up in ireland or wales,,,,,,?

What about France
the Canal Du Midi is beautiful around Beziers / Agde spent a 2 week period on a campsite in Portiragnes which is halfway between the two cities
hub "dont do " camp sites,,,,,,,,its cottages or a boat ,,,,,,butll ill look at france,,,,,,,thanks
hilda wrote:
hub "dont do " camp sites,,,,,,,,its cottages or a boat ,,,,,,butll ill look at france,,,,,,,thanks

they do boat hire on the canal through Hoseasons I think
right o, gonna look,.. he also dosent want to drive millions of miles,,,,,,,,hes a very hard to please chap,
Ok not like me then got 2500 miles planned for France and Spain next month
BUT you can fly
probably to Beziers or

Hoseasons
France afloat
A tad after the original posting, however just to clear up some misinformation about the Norfolk Broads:

A) Most hirers will take a fuel deposit (around £80) and will charge for the fuel you use, but a few include fuel in the holiday price
B) Unless you are in dire need of Senokot, or just go onshore you will need to get a pumpout every few days, particularly if you are up to capacity.
C) Free mooring is available in most places, with the exception of Yacht Stations (Yarmouth and Norwich £12 for overnight, Beccles and Oulton Broad about £6 overnight). However with pubs, the story is mixed, occasionally free (e.g. Berney Arms), some will charge and then discount food, but some will charge and not discount food.
D) Damage Waiver is necessary and obligatory in most cases, (but beware of the Personal Insurance policy which may well be superfluous if you have similar cover elsewhere e.g. Home Insurance). Not having this would be a huge gamble (£100k plus to replace a boat gamble)
E) Water can be free, there is sometimes an honesty box and sometimes a small fee. You will need to top up most days as most boats do not have a gauge for the water tank. There is no chance of going all week without filling up unless you don't use showers, heads, taps.
F) Diver Insurance is an extra option which you can take when you get to the yard. £5-£10 covers you in case the prop gets fouled and a diver needs to come out to free it. I always take it as the diver would cost a lot more and it is one less thing to worry about.

Anything else you need to know?
thanks for that, and no it wasnt to late, very informative,
but as you may have seen farther down im goin somewhere else a tad cheaper due to finding out my job is being reduced in grading and takint a nice £700 a year off my already meagre wage,
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.