Greece and other Greek Island Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Greece and other Greek Islands.
passport
13 Posts
How long are you staying? If you are just going for a couple of weeks and have a return ticket you shouldn't have any problems.
I would check passport information very carefully. Phone the Passport Office, or check online.

In two greek holiday brochures that I have it states:-

Passports and visas

Every international passenger requires a valid passport issued by the government authority of their country. At the time of going to press the following requirements apply to British citizens. please note that all children under 16 years must have their own passport. This applies to new passports issued.

1. For British citizens, a standard ten year British passport is required which must be valid for at least six months after the date of arrival back in the UK.

2. A visa is not required for stays in Greece of up to three months duration.

Important changes to E111 (Medical treatment form for European countries)
Form E111 should be valid until December 2005, if your E111 was issued before Aug 19 2004 you will need a new form. (available from Post Office)
Hope I didn't give you any misleading info. I have travelled to Greece with only 3 & 5 months left on my passport without problems but it is often up to the discretion of the Greek employees at the passport desk. Since 2001 most countries have been much stricter following regulations, so as Carolr states it is probably better to ring the Passport Office. If you apply for a new passport you will be given credit for the remaining months.
The actual guidelines are that you should have THREE months after your return date left on your passport
http://www.ukpa.gov.uk click on travel advice

INVALID URL click on travel advice, then click on passport/visas

Both of these government sites say 6 months valid after return.
Hi,

I used to be a travel agent and i was always told, it doesn't matter where you travel, you must have a minimum of 6months validity from the date of return.

Thanks,
Donna (DEEDEE1). :wave
I asked this question of the Greek Embassy last year (I was holidaying in October and my passport ran out in February) - the reply was that provided my passport was valid for the duration of my stay, this was fine! I would e-mail them and checkk that this is still the case.
Sorry! E-mail address: consulategeneral@greekembassy.org.uk
I e-mailed the Greek Consulate on Monday and received a reply today. I'm impressed :D

I have less than three months to run on my passport and am due to go out to Rhodes late in May.

The Consulate say that as long as your UK passport is valid for the duration of your holiday and that a return flight is booked then there will not be a problem. Their exact words were that even if the passport runs out the day after you are due back in the UK, then that is OK.
thank you for all your replys

damon
Magster - make sure you do what I did - take a copy of the e-mail!! Just in case you get an official who's having a bad day!
We travelled to Crete a few years ago when our eldest son was only 2 weeks away from his 16th birthday on our date of return and would need his own passport (he was still on his dad's) I checked with the Greek Embassy who said "no problem" and there wasn't.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.