Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
while you are waiting for replies have a look through some of the 48000+ posts we have on the forum. I think I can safely say, as the second most busy forum on HT, that members will recommend Goa :lol: Some good info threads can be found in the stickies at the top of the forum. I've made a new one since you posted of the do's and don'ts which all newcomers will find interesting. I've topped the TRIPs thread to help you.
Weather- as you are looking at going at this time of year, have a look at the weather sticky where some longstayers keep us up to date. However, if you want to totally avoid rain then you won't want to go in October or right at the beginning of November.
Just read the various trip reports on this forum they will tell you everything you need to know.

On the other hand just go, you will love it and it would be better going not knowing to much about the place as your first experience will be so much better.

I have been 6 times and just love the place I'm sure you will to if you give it a try.

Went on a trip called "Tusks & Tigers" which takes you by train mostly, to Karnataka to see elephants & tigers, great trip and the train journey is great to.
great suggestion re the trip reports Datsun- never thought to put that in my post :oops:
Should have added Goa is one of the safest places in the world to visit, you can wander around anywhere and you will be safe.

You will get some hassle, but I have been to Egypt and it is not as forceful as there. It can be fun and if you do not want it usually a firm "no" will make them move on.
I took my daughter who was only 2, the first time we went , if anything the locals were excellent, nothing too much trouble. Last year she was 5 and we went to the dugadascar waterfalls, she loved it feeding the monkeys that come to you. There is loads to do as in go karting, trips if you are feeling energetic. Or if you want to chill out loads lovely beaches. Best of all is the prices over there.
Just go!!

You will get hassled a bit - especially when you first get there and you're still pale. They always ask you, "First time in Goa?" so they can inflate the prices because you won't have adjusted to the low prices over there. Always say, " Been many times" and they back off a bit.

But the hassle is more friendly and non aggressive and sometimes even humourous. It's not a problem and I've had much more intimidating hassle in America and parts of Spain.

You say you want somewhere hot to chill - Goa is a gold medalist in chillin'! :D
Just go!

http://img20.imageshack.us/img20/2094/n513349145262005659ek5.jpg
Amazing variety and delicious food!

http://img265.imageshack.us/img265/8324/n513349145118248799pa1.jpg
Jaw dropping views

http://img248.imageshack.us/img248/620/n5478251121448761279gc4.jpg
Out of the ordinary wild life!

http://img340.imageshack.us/img340/4409/n517863720288401919cd9.jpg
Great times and beautiful people :) (thats me on the far right white top)

Sorry about image quality they're my camera phone pics.
I'll second the great food, and such variety

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y271/sauceboat000/DSC00024.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y271/sauceboat000/DSC00025.jpg
Ah thats better for the food. I could only find one picture.

Where are yours from? Mine was East Meets West.
Hi Mardon, mine were from I95, absolutely delicious
I would never, ever recommend Goa to anyone.

Lots of people ask me if I'd recommend it and I always say 'WE absolutely love it (been 6 times and going in Nov 2007 & Feb 2008), but YOU might not'.

The OP says her other half didn't like the hassle in Egypt, some people do say that they find the hassle in Goa off-putting.
A lot of people find the beggars, dust and rubbish a problem, too.

Joeuk
I'd do lots of reading about the culture, resorts, weather etc and decide if it's the right place for you.

Regards
Polly
My friend who I would describe as SUPER westernised loved it. I was expecting him to hate it. You have to go knowing that its going to be a completely different experience than any of the holidays you'll take in the western world.

That's why I love it so much. Its not the norm, its never boring and you really feel like you've taken a trip.
  • Edited by mardon 2007-11-08 16:41:06
Totally agree Mardon, I wasn't sure what my boyf would make of it - I had a pretty good idea of Goa as I had done so much research! But we both loved it, going back for 3 weeks next year!!
I havent been able to get back to Goa for two years due to my 11 year old having travel sickness. Still been going to Europe though but i can honestly say everytime we go somewhere we come home really disappointed. Absolutely nowhere else compares to Goa for either of us. As soon as she feels able to travel long distance again we will go straight back. I dont think the hassle of traders or beggers is anywhere near as bad as Eygpt or Turkey. We want to try Russia and China in a few years but after that im not going to waste my money anywhere else it will be Goa or nothing. I wish i could send everyone i know to Goa just for the expereience. I know this probably dosent help much so hope you dont find it hard to make a decision after reading all the pages on Goa :lol:
not going to go into any great detail, just tell you when i first got there, i wondered where on earth i had come to!!! after a couple of days i was in love with the place. you want something different?? well goa is pretty diverse!!!
i am going for my 7th time in 22 days time, and i can't wait.
that must say it all!!!!
BOB :glynis :sun :pele
this year will be our 4th in goa,can,t wait to get there,the people are lovely,food great and there is plenty to see and do ,take a chance ,bet you,ll love it just like all of us on here do.
WOW!!! thank you so much for all the replies and the pics, am going to have a good look at the posts and plot. Thanks xxxxx
We can not persuade you to go to Goa
But once you actually make the decision to Go,Then it is up to you,we all love the place we have been to a lot of places and Goa beats them all :sun try it, it is wonderful
Pat and Andy :glynis :glynis
Just do it, you will not regret it :wink: Of all the places I have visited, it's the ONLY one I came back from and wanted to go back to again, 7th time in March :D
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.