Spain - Costa Dorada Discussion Forums

Discussions regarding holidays in the Costa Dorada.
pickpockets
20 Posts
Hi - we certainly never had any problems with pickpockets when we were in Salou last year and never heard of any occurances. I am sure there are some but obviously not on a large scale. Probably keeping your money in one of those belt bags round your waist is best as quite secure and no danger of putting it down unlike a handbag.
thanks for your reply aparrently barcelona is rife with pick pockets did you enjoy salou
I believe Barcelona is bad, but having just come back from Salou, i had difficulty seeing a person let alone a pickpocket!!! :shock:
HI - yes have heard that Barcelona is quite bad for pickpockets. But my brother and his family went there for a few days last October and had no problems. We were in Salou last October. We stayed in El Paso Hotel which is one of the Theme Park Hotels so located just outside Salou. We had a great time and would definitely go back. We did go into Salou on a couple of the days. Beaches were good and seemed to be plenty going on. We didn't sample nightlife as have two young kids. When are you planning to go. It does seem very seasonal with most things closing down/quieting off towards the end of October until Spring.
The 1st time we went to Salou my hubby was pick pocketed whilst getting on a bus. We have been numerous times since and have had no problems. I dont think that its any worse or better than any other holiday destination.

Loulou
going to salou in july
Definitely won't be quiet then !! Lots to do - theme park brilliant fun - you will have a blast :D We are hoping to go back some time next year too - the kids haven't stopped talking about it.
hi we have just got back on oct 25th,i took some advice from my sister in law who goes to florida every year,and bought a bum bag.worn across the waist at the front.not very trendy,but was worth it for peace of mind. :) mo
Stayed in Salou end Aug start of September at El Paso didn't see or hear of any problems with pickpocketing even though it was pretty busy still. Probably best not to carry everything around just enough for the day and leave the rest in the hotel safe. You could be vunerable queing up for the rides at the theme park.
Had a brain wave on day trip to Barcelona not to take much cash, passports etc as I had heard all the horror stories(needless to say never saw anything).
Just took 100 euros for lunch, tube etc and a credit card for the shops. BIG mistake, none of the shops would accept my card due to having no ID with me i.e passport or similar. Four of us in Barcelona all day with only 100Euros between us, all those lovely shops and no way to spend. :bawl :bawl :bawl :bawl
Bestfriend, don't be put off by pick pocket stories in Barcelona. We have recently returned from a holiday where we ventured into Barcelona for several days. We were staying north of the city. We didn't have any problems and didn't see anyone else having problems.

If you practice all the tips that are given then there really shouldn't be any problems. Leave passports and valuables in the safety deposit box at where you are staying. Keep any cards and cash in a bag around your waist with loose clothing over the top. Wear any back packs on the front rather than the back. Don't walk around with your camera or camcorder dangling. Keep them packed away and take them out only when you need/want to use them. When sitting in a restaurant/cafe/bar, loop any bags around your leg or the leg of a chair or table. Don't wear expensive jewellery or anything that has sentimental value, just in case! Above all if you are attacked, hand it over without question.

We took all these precautions which were not a bother and felt perfectly safe whilst we were in Barcelona.
hi
thanks to you all for your advice on the bum bags i would have thought they would be easey for pickpockets as the clip is at the back they could clip it off and grab and even with clip at back they could get easy access to your money any one else tried any other methods of carrying your money apart from in your shoes :lol:
The point about bum bags is that you wear them underneath loose fitting clothing so that if anyone did try anything you would feel what was happening straight away. Plus you pull the strap so that it doesn't 'hang'.The other thing is that if they are underneath loose fitting clothing, they cannot be seen!
this money this is giving me a headache :lol: when i am abroad i usually wear small strap tops that are not loose fitting as is is to hot last year i had a large bag with strap which made me feel under constant pressure all the time holding on to it so i guess my only other option is a bum bag with larger t shirts :lol:
thanks again :D
Buy a bumbag with the clip right next to the bag part, I bought one and its great. Dont worry too much about it too much enjoy your hols.

Marion
I'd say the best thing to do is take a couple of cash cards and put them on different parts of your body! One in either pocket would be good. Then only if you need to buy anything just go to the cash point!
Hi ..There was a problem a good few years ago with pick pockets in Salou. We were warned about the gypsies beggars with babies asking for moneyto feed the baby. There seemed a lot of these type of people on the main road in Salou. The last few years there has been no sign of the beggars or hawkers on the main street. I think the authotities have moved them on as it was bad for business. I was pestered by a hawker with his things in a big bag on one of the back streets. He stopped mid stream and fled . When I turned round there was a police car coming down the road
See my bit of info on "family things to do in Salou" on this forum
I have a flat bum bag type purse that is flat in a nylon material it is ideal even if you have a skimpy top on you can wear it round your waste under shorts without it being noticed
You may a laugh at what I do but if you are really worried about carrying your money I'll spill the beans.... I get a plastic coin bag (the ones you get in the bank) I put my large notes in it and using a good strong safety pin I pin it onto the inside of a nice fitting pair of panties. (no good if you wear bikini briefs or thongs).I only leave what I will use over a short spell in my purse or bag. The cash I do leave in my bag I split between a zipped inside pocket and my purse. When your running out of readies pop into the ladies and only take out what you need.
think i have worked out the money thing at last :lol: got this amazing pair of shorts got two pair in fact they have so many zipped pockets hubby got to also my buggy has a zipped pocket on the back of the hood so no purse worries this year
:lol:
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.