Greece - Crete Discussion Forums

Discussions regarding holidays in Crete.
Plakias
10 Posts
Robad,
I can't comment on hotels in Plakias but we have stayed in Sellia, which is one of mountain villages above the bay. Plakias is o.k. for a family holiday with quite a few aminities. The Libyian Sea is a bit cooler than the Cretan Sea, the water is really clear. I recommend going to one of the beaches just outside of Plakias, we found the water quality just that little bit better. I have heard that most of the places on the south coast are a bit cheaper than the North. There are also some nice mountain villages around Plakias that are well worth a visit. (Look out for the little train.) Especially Rodakino has a place in history as a resistance stronghold during WWII. Sellia has a small taverna with a terrific view of the bay, but the food is ok, too. A drive through the gorge on the way to Rethymnon is also a must in my opinion.
Schnubbel
Hi Robad, I am due to go to the Apollon Studios on Aug 30th for 1 week I will let you know what they are like when I get back if you are still interested. I had a very brief visit to Plakias way back in 1990 and was struck by the beautiful beach and the few facilities they had then I gather it is now more geared up for tourists I just hope they havent spoilt it
robad, we are going to the apollon studios on 16th august,will post you details when we get back ,probably 30th/31st. haven't heard any bad reports so far so hopefully will be just what we are looking for (relaxing, chilled out fortnight).
The studios and apartments Apollon are on the edge of the center of the nice holiday resort Plakias. Nice clean rooms with AC and a quiet garden and swimming pool, with a poolbar. Breakfast and dinners are served in the family taverna, specialties: Cretan food. In your area Anso travel for good cars and a diving center to discover the under water world around Plakias. If you like an all over tan, than Plakias has some good nude beaches. For people on this forum considering winter holidays to Crete, remember the slogan from Plakias " the place where the summer never ends"
Plakias is great for relaxing, had 2 week there in July and could have stayed longer, beach to west of the port is great for children & snorkeling, warm clear water protected by rocks and plenty of sea life.
Main beach area is bland and murky with the sand stirred up by the waves.
Can't remember where the apollon is but everywhere is within easy walking of the port and town centre :D
Does anyone know if the Apollon apartments have iron and ironing table. Also do they have hairdryers and kettles? It will help me a great deal if they do......thanks
It's nearly 20 years since last in Plakias (on the south of the island), but would love to go back. Anyone any news on what it's like nowadays. Back then the beach was brilliant with a nudist section up by the headland and a taverna with a grumpy owner just before that section, and there was a fantastic jazz-type bar in the town. Is it really built up now or still the quiet little haven it was back then?

Thanks in advance.
Bit late in posting this, but I thoroughly enjoyed the Apollon Apartments, rooms are very basic, but spacious and airy, they are quiet, we were on the ground floor and although people were walking past our window as we were the main route to the town, we rarely heard any noise. The pool is a good size, and kept very clean, the pool bar supplied snacks which were very nice, and the staff were great.

Our rooms were cleaned every day and towels changed every 3 days, sheets every week. The beach was just a few minutes away, Plakias can be quite windy in September, however it is still hot, we used to just walk along to a small bay approx 15 minutes walk from the Apollon, and we were sheltered from the wind, I have to say not every day was windy temperatures reached the high 70's low 80's every day.

This year we are off to Northern Crete for a change to Anissaras near Hersonnissos, for those wanting a quiet holiday I would recommend Plakias, very much.
well andrew711 it's 26 years since i first went to plakias and then it was a hippy colony. Went back for a day last year......there's a town there now!!! and loads of tourists!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.