Egypt Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Egypt.
poorly...
9 Posts
That'll be this story.
Bit odd - Legionella outbreaks are usually caused by water droplets (air cooling systems, showers etc) because of bacteria in the storage tanks and tend to occur in several people at once, plus the article says he was ill during the holiday whilst the disease typically has a two week incubation period.
No one would suggest Sharm is the most hygienic place on earth, but there must be a chance he was carrying the infection when he left home...
Guess it could have been caused by a dodgy airconditioning system out there :think aircon systems have occasionaly been found to carry legionnaires in the past. Perhaps one that wasn't functioning 100%, what bad luck, must have been a one in a million chance. Lets hope he makes a full recovery.
We came back from a Greek island a few years ago and around a week or so later my son was very ill, and they said it was due to the aircon, as we kept it on overnight, and cant remember exactly what was wrong but it was to do with his lungs and pretty nasty. He took a wee while to get over it, and now never leave the aircon on all night long.
Hi just read in the Sunday Mirror that he passed away. : (
Christ! the poor guy and his family, i am up to date with all my injections, but not sure what injection it is for legionaires, is this an isolated incident does anyone know, i like protection for everything.

My thoughts are with the family at this time:)

Michelle x
How tragic. I've got an awful feeling Michelle that there is no innoculation for legionaires, it's probably very much an 'In the lap of the Gods' type illness. His poor family. I know aircon isn't the only thing to carry it, but as Ellie says if you can manage without it being on some nights it might be best not to use it if you are a worrier.
personally i would think they would be wanting to pull in EVERYONE on that return flight for a check up ,the air in the plane is re-cycled as well
Yes that's true BF, i went with VIRGIN to Florida and within a day i was in agony with my ears, neck and had an awful cough, my legs felt sore and like lead. I didnt go to the Doctors in florida, but by the time i got to board the plane, i could hardly move it hurt so much. I found out when i got back, visited the doctors and caught strep A and something else but cannot remember the name. I went into a travel agents where i booked the holiday and told a woman in there of my agony, and said the Drs said it had come from the air conditioning. The lady in question caught the same thing and half the plane coming home when they went with virgin to the same place. I remember writing to them about the air in their planes as its recycled. We always ask for seats at the front of the plane as its fresher than the back (well we think? it is), No response from the letter.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.