Holiday Complaints

Do you have a holiday complaint? For help and advice post in here.
i would be inclined to go to one of the travel firms who book you accommodation and flight [transfers if required] it normally works out cheaper than the package companies

wizard
Sorry Wizard, don't quite know what you mean by 'travel firms'? She is trying to book via Portland - also had the same problem trying to book via Thompson, which is part of Portland group.
firms such as A1 travel,Hayes travel,Fleetway travel [ and other independents] they will book a room flights and if required transfers separate, these are called built holidays and do not have the cover of a package holiday but if you pay by credit card you will be covered for cancellation etc by the credit card act, and a good travel insurance will cover the rest.

wizard
Portland Holidays may well have a very small allocation of single rooms. Although they come under the TUI umbrella they are a lot smaller than the likes of their sister company Thomson.

Also they could be popular hotels and therefore be booked really early.

Kath x
Portland usually provide a double room and you pay from £10 - £15 per night extra if you want to use the room just for one person. She has done this many times in past years, but this year and next year they tell her no single rooms available, even though they are advertised in the brochure. Thanks for the tip about travel firms Wizard, I'll pass the information on to my friend.
Hi there
I have travelled on my own a few times,( to have time to myself, and it is very difficult to book a single. I have found most travel companies when you wish to do a package it is like this. You put in the details, one person, comes up, not available. Then I have put in the same details except the next time I put in two persons, and by magic the holidays are available. If you manage to get availability its those rotten supplements they add on it really bumps up the price. What annoys me is if you get a single room, its for one person, and yet you still have to pay supplements. I have booked a lot with hotel companies like sol melia they seem better for lone travellers. I am going away in September for another break and have booked diy and booked with Travel Republic.

Dawnie-Rob :wave
Thanks to you too Dawnie-Rob. I will pass your info on to my friend too. I really think some of these larger travel firms rip off single travellers.
I would also not discount Thomas Cook as they do have single holidays available.
Worth checking out price difference etc.
I just checked with sunshine.co.uk for 1 week (accommodation only) from 8 July 2010 and they have single rooms in Bugibba, Malta.

How about Mercury Direct (complete packages only I believe) as they tend to cater for singles?
Thanks everyone. Will pass all your helpful hints over to my friend. Cheers.
I know the feeling about single room rip offs. Tried to book with Mercury Direct. Supposed to be no single room supplemets on certain dates. So I tried to book but no luck. Surprise, surprise . Mercury Direct Says there are no rooms left. If two or more go then yes there are rooms available and plenty of them . There are other sites on the web that give a better deal than these so called Well known company's.
I can't speak for any other operators but since the merger between First Choice and Thomson/Tui there seems to be very little in the way of single rooms with any of the now TUI companies. In my experience, First Choice used to shy away from adults and single travellers and concentrate on families. This policy seems to be creeping in as a group wide strategy. Every holiday I have priced up will only offer single rooms in the 1-2* properties- no thanks! I don't live like that so certainly don't want to holiday like that!!
If you go on the Thomson website and book a hotel first and then add the flights on and transfers it will let you do some hotels that way, not sure if it will be all hotels though.

Another option is to book diy holidays, if you use someone like Travel Republic or Alpha Rooms you can do transfers as well.

Good luck
Hi,

I work for the BBC and am currently developing a segment for a consumer affairs show about single supplements for the lone traveller. I would be keen to talk to anyone who has experienced the extra charges and was not happy about them!

If you would like to chat about it more, please drop me a line at the contact details below.

Many thanks

Glenn
glenn.swift@bbc.co.uk
0161 244 4114
well i go ibiza and have stayed in two hotels that have single rooms at no extra chagre.infact one hotel you either get two beds or a double and a single bed.now wether its just me because they know me well i am not sure.changed hotels this year.first hols in may i booked with thomascook.worked out cheaper than diy.i got a single room not extras at all.this sept i go again this time diy.cheaper than package.again i will not get charged any axtra for begin on my own.

like said the rooms are there if you book direct with hotel.but in busy months tour ops don;t what single people.and if you can get a room.its extra on top.i know i talk to people.and they say how did you get it cheap.its just finding the right sites and going diy is best for me.i can do adeal with hotel on price.with ne staying for 15/16 or even 18 days.its just getting a good deal on flight really that helps.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.