Spain - All Other Costas, Inland Areas Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding all Spanish areas not covered.
OK so not a popular idea - how about sailing between the two, couldn't think of anything better .........
You must be able to hire a car in Spain and take it across the border to Portugal and vice versa as I know people who have done just that but I would think it would be a hell of a drive from Almeria.

I've no real idea but I'm thinking it would be around 6 hours as it's 3 hours from our house near Cadiz to the Algarve and we're just over 2 hours from Malaga.

I'm not sure whether it will be possible to do a one way rental if you're picking up a car in Spain and dropping off in Portugal. It maybe - at a price!

Why specifically Almeria?

If you opted for the Costa de la Luz, you could fly into and out of Seville which is accessible from both the areas.
The reason for the trip is to do both friend's wedding in Almeria (never been before) and check apartment in the Algarve which has previously been rented. Having travelled UK to Portugal usually in the winter, though never on my own before, I'm not daunted by the 6/7 hour journey. The company I'd prefer to use don't have the facility to hire cars between countries although I am checking nearest drop-off point near border.

Appreciate your comments Jan, thanks
If the driving doesn't bother you, would it not be possible to fly home from Seville rather than Faro?

That way you would still be returning the car in Spain and Seville is probably less than 2 hours driving time from the Algarve?
You can drive Ayamonte (right on the Spanish border with Portugal) to Seville in about 1 1/4 hours. Good roads and direct through to airport.
Excellent suggestions, driven to Ayamonte a few times for days out and Seville en route from UK. Will check on flights.

Many thanks to Jan & Scoya
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.