Eastern Europe Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Eastern Europe
Tallin??
16 Posts
Tallinn is a really nice place. The old buildings are very similar to the ones in Prague, and there are numerous bars (the best being the Beerhouse) and restaurants. Beer is about £1 - £1.50 a pint and you can eat large amounts for £5. I was out there in June this year and there was only 2 hours of darkness - and I was told it is the opposite in winter. The new part of the city is just like any city in Europe.
There are lots of sights to go and see and lots of organised walks. The hotels are quite pricey for the location - but the cheaper ones looked a bit rundown.
Hi all! We've just returned from a 4 day break to Tallinn Estonia. What a beautiful place. The Old Town was full of cobbled alleyways amongst which were hidden some really stylish boutiqes. The restaurants were fantastic- everyone dressed in medieval costumes and most were in the basements of buildings. It also had a huge shopping complex in the new part of town. From the port you could catch a ferry to Helsinki for a day trip. Not the place to go for stag or hen do's but a definite hit for couples looking for nice walks fabulous food and in search of relaxation.
I'm not sure when you went to Tallinn but things were certainly more exoensive at Easter Stephen. A pint at the beer house was around £1.70 and the only places that did cheap (cold) food were the Irish bars which were full of lager louts and smoke. At the nicer restaurants a 2 course meal for 2 with a bottle of wine was around £35 - £50. We thought that Tallinn was very much restaurant based and the all single parties we met were disappointed with the lack of pubs & music bars etc.
Anyone got an update on Tallinn? Going there for the first time in August and staying around the old town. Any changes in prices?

Plan is also to take a day trip by sea to Helsinki which could be fun.

Any up date on Tallinn, eating houses and bars would be appreciated.

Nivsy
We are going to Tallinn as well in august. Flying from Stansted and staying at the Reval Inn near the port.
My experience with Tallin is very good.
Although I have to say it's more expensvie than Riga or Vilnius. I's much closer to Scandinavia - with prices and with culture as well. Anyway, I really recommend the place to visit. It's calm and beautiful city. Very nice walks, warm atmosphere. Day trip to Helsinki would be another attraction.
Michal
have booked day trip to helsinki as well. taking fast boat out and slow big boat back (baltic princess or something) which takes a couple of hours plus. sounds like a nice trip.

nivsy
nivsy - We'd have loved to do that, but we didn't know about the trip until our last day - shame. Never mind, I'm sure we'll go back some day and we'll do it then.
Helen,

Will let you know how it goes. Girlfriend made me buy the buffet dinner on board coming back as well so shall see what the food is like to. Makes a nice change from aeroplanes in my opinion.

Nivsy
Does any one know the best way to the town centre from the airport? I see that it is only 4kms away from the airport yet the taxi fares on line seem ......well ridiculously expensive. Are the taxis at the ranks ok?

Nivsy
go to the 'proper' taxi rank at the airport, there you will be charged about 100 EEK into the edges of the old town, this is about £5
There was noproblems at all getting a taxi from the airport to Tallinn old town. Cost was 140 EEKS. Stayed in the St Olav hotel and must say thoroughly enjoyed our stay in this very central hotel. The old town was wonderful and we thought the food particulary good and reasonable. It was also nice to see service with a smile. The Tallinn card appears good value and the three lines that operate the hop on and hop off buses were very interesting and informative.

Overall I think the town is well worth a visit and with good food and beer top marks Tallinn.

Nivsy
Just returned from Tallinn last Thursday( 12th march) and found it not only a big let down but quite expensive. We booked what our travel agent calls a 5* hotel ( the Three Sisters ) but from my experience of 5* hotels I would class this as 3* It refers to itself as a "boutique" hotel (read twee) with narrow passages and steep spiral type staircases. The rooms (ours) were no more than ordinary. On the whole a waste of hard earned cash!!!
So sorry you were disappointed with your trip. We really enjoyed there. We paid for a 3* hotel & that was what we got. Also, we didn't find it expensive for the quality of food & service that we got. I suppose everyone looks for different things from a holiday & this one obviously didn't suit you. It wouldn't do for us all to be the same would it?
I like tallinn, it´s cheaper than here in Helsinki.
I go there a few times a year, cruises are a nice way to go :)
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.