Spain - Canary Islands - Fuerteventura Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Fuerteventura.
Welcome to the forum! :wave:

I'm no Fuert expert having only been once, several years ago, but there are plenty here who'll be able to advise! :tup
Money The best way of getting money is to get yourself a pre-loaded payment card, the cheapest one to use is FairFX CLICK HERE. It gives a better exchange rate than most other methods, there is no fee to use the card for purchases (it works as a standard Mastercard and is accepted anywhere where Mastercard is accepted, including restaurants) and if you use the card to withdraw cash from an ATM there is just a 1.50€ fee. There is a card issue fee of £9.95 but this is waived if your initial top-up is greater than £500 (or if you click the link from Martin Lewis' site or the Matalan site.)

Trips/Excursions There is a Last Minute Travel agency on the main "bar street" in Corralejo. I picked up one of their leaflets when we went up there for the day at Easter (we stayed in Caleta). I will have a look for it tomorrow and update you with trips and prices from Corralejo :wink:

Can't tell you much about eating/drinking out in Corralejo because we have only been to Caleta, but I can say we had a great time there, took advantage of all the happy hours and set meals and although it wasn't much cheaper than going out at home, we didn't spend a ridiculous amount of money and didn't feel "ripped off" as some people seem to complain... :roll:
I found the leaflet from Last Minute in Corralejo:

• Fuerteventura Grand Tour: 35€ Adult, 16€ Child
  • Lanzarote Grand Tour (including ferry crossing): 68€ Adult, 34€ Child
  • Lanzarote Short South Tour: 47€ Adult, 23€ Child
  • Oasis Park (including Camel Safari & lunch): 46€ Adult, 23€ Child
  • Lobos Island Glass Bottom Boat: 16€ Adult, 8€ Child

There are various other trips which you would have to ask in the agency to find out more.
Hi John

Just returned yesterday from Corralejo.
Looks like you have got your money stuff sorted already. Didn't really take a lot of notice on that one myself because we use Nationwide Flex a/c debit card which is free. Incidentally we used cash machine twice getting €1.164 and €1.172 to the pound. The ATMs though ask you if you want to be charged in Sterling or Euro. I gather it is cheaper to be charged in Euro so watch our for that. My husband made a purchase with the card and looking at the receipt I can see he has been charged in Sterling without realising. We were aware this would happen at the car hire place so he told them he wanted to pay in Euro - just look out.

You can get local beer for €2 there are a few happy hours about. In general I think a large draught beer was around €3. There are just tons of bars, depends what kind you want really. Soz I am not an expert, Rock Island does it for us.

Eating out we thought was good value on the whole. It's no good going on about the exchange rate. You can get a set menu at some places for €10 for 3 courses e.g. El Patio on the Waterfront. Apparently Hemingways is very good €8.50 for set menu, near Hiperdino. Sorry didn't try the aforementioned. Tried Chinese Buffet in Plaza at 8.20 p.m. - dried up, €8.95.

Our favourite is Mirando Al Sur, the Argentinian Steakhouse in Calle Sebastian Elcano. Only go there if you love meat! It's a smallish menu but delicious steaks. You also get a complimentary bowl of meaty canarian stew, the bread is free. We just ordered a portion of sausages to share for starters - delicious. Don't know if they do anything for kids, sorry. The house wine is only €7 and is the same as other restaurants charge a lot more for. The steaks are from €9.50 to about €12.50.
I think on the whole you probalby get what you pay for. We went to Las Playitas, on the waterfront. The table linen was really nice and we thought it was good value - the pork steaks were served on sizzling plates. Think they were €9.50.

Also thought the two restaurants next to Marquesina on the waterfront were good value. A few places are doing deals on tapas.

Cheers, Jean
The best way to get money is to use a Nationwide VISA debit card in the ATMs, best exchange rate and no charges.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.