Spain - All Other Costas, Inland Areas Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding all Spanish areas not covered.
I think that if your friend is open to alternatives then she should consider getting married in Gibraltar instead.

There are plenty of sites that advise on the mountain of paperwork that is required for Spain, and they will also tell you that these requirements can vary from region to region.

Gibraltar offers far less hassle.
Thanks for your prompt input :)
Yes they are definetly open to new ideas, i think what they would like is anywhere abroad, but a very short flight to keep costs down, with only a few guests (close family etc).

I think they even discussed France at one point, as she thought that the south of France would be nice for their honeymoon.

I will find some information regarding Gibraltar, but i think they would like somewhere with cheap flights.

thanks again
as Spain is a catholic country it sounds a grand idea, as she wishes to be away from the main touristy area then why not look at something completely different [no i don't mean Monte pythons flying circus], but san sebastion in northern Spain [bay of Biscay] and to make it a little more interesting instead of flying you can take the overnight ferry to Bilbao just along the coast

wizard
I replied to your question as I know of British 2 couples that also wanted to marry in Spain. Both had lived here for several years, and both couples decided (after months of bureaucracy) that it simply wasn't worth the hassle and went to Gibraltar to get married.

A partner from one couple had previously been married in the U.K. which only added to the Spanish bureaucracy.

From what I remember, all marriages in Spain take place in the equivalent of what you would know as a Registry Office setting. After the legalities have been done then a couple are free to go and have the wedding blessed in a church of their choice (if that's what they want).

The requirements for foreigners to actually get married here are horrendous, so my advice would be to get it done elsewhere. Gibraltar came to mind as the legalities are the same as the U.K., but in your friends position I would get a cheap deal done in a Registry Office in the U.K., and then have a blessing ceremony done here in a Spanish church where friends and family can attend.

When shopping around for a church in Spain, remind your friend to ask if the U.K. Marriage Certificate needs a certified Spanish translation.
Hello, thanks for your advice.

I believe you are actually quite right Oly Daze, i forwarded the information to my friends and they said it looks like they will need to jump through hoops in order to marry in spain as neither of them are from Spain.

They have decided on Rome, and are planning on combining a honeymoon in the same country.

Thanks again

Nicola
I hope that your friend enjoys her day.
¡Brindis del corazón!

Or when in Rome....... Molta fortuna!

Suerte.
Just to set things straight: If you do marry in Spain, catholic churches marry you; ie you do not have to have a civil wedding first - this only applies to the catholic church though.
I got married here last year in a civil ceremony, it was a real pain, and very expensive doing all the legal paperwork.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.