EX-Pats and Owners Abroad

Discussions for EX-Pats and owners abroad or those who are considering this idea.
What sort of a move are you hoping to make? Permanent? Until retirement? After retirement? Will you need to find work that pays well to live there? If you have children, what arrangements are you thinking of making for their schooling?

It sounds as though I'm trying to get out of making suggestions ;) but I think you'll need to give us a bit more information about what you want from your life out there.

You'll have to investigate your tax position as regards the UK, and whether or not you want to contribute to a UK pension when you retire by paying Class 3 Voluntary National Insurance Contributions for a start.

Also looking up residency rules for non-Turkish nationals would be a start .... try the Turkish Embassy initially, and START LEARNING THE LANGUAGE!!
thank you for your reply and yes i am starting to learn the language. tessekur ederim lol. i have no children to worry about as my sons are grown up now youngest 19. yes it is permanent. i am a counsellor, hypnotherapist, stress manager reflexologist this isnt a job for me it is a vocation it is my purpose in life, so yes i will be working i love my work but will need to give myself time to learn the language to do this in turkey so will be working online from turkey..
what i want out of my life in turkey is better weather and to appreciate everything that a new country and culture has to offer.
i know there are other countries which have better weather but turkey is the place which has stole my heart and soul.
i am not under any illusions that life and projects do have their ups and downs i expect a few bumps and pebbles even bolders on my path lol. this is a 10 year dream that is now possible since my children have grown.
and thank you for the suggestions you have already made i will be making appointment with tax office get that step taken. your suggestions are very much appreciated. thank you for taking the time
thank you for the help and really good advice i have received up to now xx much appreciated and accepted
I don't know what Alsacienne has told you but here's a few tips from our experience. Don't buy direct from a builder, don't buy off plan, don't buy a plot of land and don't buy from an Estate Agent who isn't licensed eg:- in Altinkum there are over 300 Estate Agents, only 60 of these hold a license !! The magic word to buying in Turkey is RESEARCH, you can't do enough of it. Two websites that have been very helpful to us are Turkey Villa and Turkish Living Forums.

Les
hi les thank you for taking the time out to rerply and all information is greatfully received. i am doing a lot of research. I am planning to buy direct from the owners of properties and bypass the estate agent i have a few friends there but want to go into things with my eyes wide open and with the knowledge i need to make sure everything goes as well as it can i will definately check out the sites you have directed me too and once again thank you very much for your time babs
My pm related to living abroad in general. Unfortunately I couldn't give any Turkey specifics ... and said so clearly, so I'm most grateful to other members of the forum who can help here.
Babs, although you've got friends out there, if you are still unsure about something then don't hesitate to pm me and I will help all I can.

Les
hi les thank you it is sayiing i do not have the facilities to pm you although i can reply to yours. can you pm me there is a few things that i would like to ask kind regards babs
Well for one, you will find it very difficult - almost impossible - to work over there. A work permit will be required and for foreigners, these are as rare as hen's teeth!! You would need to do some research about working online in Turkey. Check out the Turkey Central forum as there has been some discussion on this previously.

Also if you want to stay there permanently, you will need to get a residency visa - the old 90-day visa which you could renew by nipping over to a Greek island for the day is due to come to an end some time this year. The residency visa currently costs £370 per year. You will also have to factor in health insurance.

As to buying in Turkey, we did it almost three years ago and have never regretted it - but it is not without its pitfalls. As has already been said, don't buy off -plan. There are thousands of unfinished builds around Turkey. If you are buying a completed building, you must ensure that there is a Tapu and Habitation Certificate in place. The Tapu should be marked Kat Mulkiyeti and not Kat Irtifaki.

If you are intent on living in Turkey full-time, it might be a good idea to rent somewhere first before taking the plunge and buying. This would give you a feel for the place and to see how you like it.

We are in the lucky position of being able to live six months in Turkey and six months in the UK so haven't had to make that final decision to fully uproot. It's a massive decision and living in Turkey is much different than just visiting. Having said that, I absolutely adore the country - even with its strange ways (and there are certainly some to get your head around!!).

If I can help any more just ask.

Jak xx
hi jac and thank you am gaining so much information and help from this sight it has been enlightening and very useful. i am going for one month to plan for a year stay.
i am taking baby steps and employment laws was the next thing i was going to check out when i have researched all the information on properties. thats step 2 again thank you very much for your reply it is most helpful and appreciated babs
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.