Eastern Europe Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Eastern Europe
Porec in 2 weeks
14 Posts
Hi Flower041
I was in Porec for a couple of weeks in June 2010.
I stayed at the Mediteran Hotel just along the coast from the town.
Be aware - it's NOT a beach resort in the normal European sense - the whole coast is rocky with rock bathing areas.
However it's very beautiful, and the coastal cycle trail goes for miles and is superb for early morning or evening walks - or you can hire bikes at low cost.

I found Croatia really wonderful - the people are great. And there's lots to enjoy just wandering the streets of old Porec town.
Porec town centre seems to have some sort of celebration at least every two weeks. While I was there, there was a huge competition for majorettes going on in the streets - lots of colour and music - I really enjoyed it.
And spend some evenings in the town centre - the pavement cafes and street entertainment are fun.

Excursions - the best I did was the Hydrofoil across to Venice for the day.
A super day out, though eating out in Venice can be expensive - instead, I followed the locals, and just bought an excellent pizza and beer in a local bakery shop..

I also caught the local bus down to Rovinj - which is a lovely photogenic town. Great places to eat all over the place.
One word of warning - do not be at the top of the old bell tower at 12 noon. You will not hear anything else again for 24 hours.
:)
Lots of one day boat excursions are sold along the waterfront in Porec town - and these are excellent also, with low prices and most include a good grilled fish lunch. Just walk along the front and choose the boat you most like the look of.

I went down to Pula for a day - again using the local buses.
I'd not recommend this - Pula isn't a really attractive town in my opinion, too much industry, and graffiti.

Hope you have as good a time in Croatia as I did - I will certainly return there soon.
Many thanks for info, we are really looking forward to going :) Will deffo do Venice i presume we can book in porec town waterfront!!

thanks again :)

Angela
Flower - Can I ask who you booked with please as we've got Croatia on our list for next year. UKbill - We have friends who have stayed at Porec and Rovinj - albeit a few years sgo now. When I asked them which they prefered to stay at, they couldn't decide. What resort did you prefer?
Hiya, we have booked with Thomson.
When I asked them which they prefered to stay at, they couldn't decide. What resort did you prefer

Hi HelenT,
To be honest - I don't know either!
They are both lovely. Maybe Rovinj is slightly more expensive than Porec, and Porec might be considered more developed than Rovinj. Just about anything you point a camera at along the sea front at Rovinj comes out as a wonderful picture - it is so photogenic.
The Basilica at Porec is stunning.
But it only takes an hour on the excellent local bus service to go between the two towns - and it's very inexpensive to do so.
Croatia seems overall really clean, the locals recognise tourism is important to them, and they go out of their way to make you very welcome.
I'd be happy to stay in either.
Thanks for taking the time to reply. Croatia has been on hubby's destination list for a few years now, but I can't make my mind up whether I'd like a 2 week holiday there, or prefer to go for a long weekend to somewhere like Dubrovnik or Split :que
Hi I also love Croatia and have been many times, stayed at Rovinj in the hotels Eden and also on Red island at the Istra. Stayed at Umag At the hotel Aurora and also Porec at the hotels Albatros (that was many years ago), Zorna, Meditaran, Pical,..
My thoughts on the best between Porec and Rovinj...I like them both very much but have to say Rovinj is my favourite as you are an easy walking (or boat ride) distance from Rovinj centre. Depending where you are staying in Porec you can be a good hours walk away from the centre or use the little noddy trains they are good fun but get crowded at times. I can honestly say though that wherever I have stayed in Croatia I have been very happy.
All I can say is enjoy its pretty and relaxing and I cant wait for June for my next trip to Croatia.. :sun2
We stayed at the Park Hotel Rovinj 5 years ago and it was excellent. The resort was very hot in peak season.

A few pointers for flower 041.
If you go on a trip to Venice 1.You need Euros for money. 2. Wear comfy shoes, the harbour is miles from St Mark's Square. 3. take a book to read on the hydrofoil, it was 3 hours from Rovinj. But it's worth it. :)

re boat trips, I'm not sure if the deepish water will be a bit chilly in May but take your swimming togs on the boat trip as there will probably be a swimming stop.

For the "beach" you will need little beach shoes, and something soft to sit on, they are all sold locally, we got some inflatable cushions and a foam mat.

Pula - there is a huge Roman amphitheatre there which is worth seeing if you like that sort of thing.

Hope you have a great time
It's a long time since we were in Porec, but we went 3 years in a row.

I agree with the hydrofoil to Venice. It really is worth seeing.

We also took a day trip to Trieste.

I don't know if they are still available, but two of our favourite excursions were to the Postonja Caves, which knock spots off the Caves of Drach in Majorca, and the Lipizzaner horses.

luci :wave
Wow!!! many thanks for replies :)
We will have a busy week exploring, cant wait to go now :)
Found pictures of Plitvice Lakes they look a tad too far for a day trip, good excuse to book another holiday thou :tup
Just ordered kuna's & Euro's roll on next tuesday :D

thanks again everyone

Ange
Many thanks for all the advice, had a fab holiday, weather was nice and hot, did lots of trips, only down fall was too many jellies in sea :-? want to go again and stay in Rovinj.
Welcome home. Glad to hear you had a nice holiday. :tup If you get a chance, would you post a review for us in the "Hotel review" section?
It would certaily help others who might be looking at Croatia as a holiday destination.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.