Far East

Discussions regarding holidays in the Far East.
Thanks for the tip. We will keep our options open and maybe hop into Thailand earlier than expected if we do not like it.

Papa

we went up to Kampot which was nice,but only for a few days. Cambodia was starnge, a country very much in transition from war to tourism, but not doing it right in snooky thats for sure. Lots of big Chinese and Korean developers have moved in and building at a ferocious rate, with no thought for the infrastructure. Having been a regular to Goa for nearly 10 years, we had heard that Snooky was how it used to be also, but were sadly disappointed when we arrived. lots of sex tourists aswell, although they tend to stay up weather station hill area
Where did you stay Martin?? We stayed at Reef Resort. Turn lRIGHT and straight down the slope onto the beach. Yes we liked Otres Beach.

Edit... :rofl don't know me left from me right LOL!
;) Papa ...if you're thinking of moving across to Thailand its relatively easy enough to go across to Koh Chang..its on Cambodian Border. We were there last year..and Koh Mak. You'll love it!

When we 'did' Cambodia year before last...stayed at Bopha Angkor in Siem Reap for about four days - temples ..floating village etc.....then flew to Phnom Penh and got the bus straight up to Sihanoukville..where we stayed at Reef Resort. There for about 7 nights..then bus back to Phnom Penh and stayed at Billabong for few nights..did S21 and killing fields then Bangkok.
Dont Have very good memories of Koh Chang unfortunately. A few years back we booked 4 nights there and it never stopped raining once. After two days we decided to bail out and head back to the mainland. We caught the last car ferry off the island before a major storm hit. I thought it was going to sink. Beautiful island but I think we will give it a miss in September.

Papa
Where did you stay Martin?? We stayed at Reef Resort.
We looked in there and it is very nice, but a new hotel just opened down the road towards the beach called Serendipity Beach hotel,which was only $30 per night, so we stayed there. It was OK, trying hard to be a luxury hotel,but falling short. Also the attitude of the staff is awful,they accused us of stealing towels and demanded to search our bags. I relented and let them,my wife told them where to go! Check out the reviews on tripadvisor!!
:yikes Will do Martin.

When we booked into the Reef their new manager had just arrived. English. But... :rofl he checked our passports...saw the Goa visas...and laughed saying he'd just left Goa where he had a job as a manager at a restaurant in Baga! :rofl
Quote:
Where did you stay Martin?? We stayed at Reef Resort.
We looked in there and it is very nice, but a new hotel just opened down the road towards the beach called Serendipity Beach hotel,which was only $30 per night, so we stayed there. It was OK, trying hard to be a luxury hotel,but falling short. Also the attitude of the staff is awful,they accused us of stealing towels and demanded to search our bags. I relented and let them,my wife told them where to go! Check out the reviews on tripadvisor!!

Saw your review.It is hard to believe in the days of internet reviews this sort of thing still happens.

Papa
When we booked into the Reef their new manager had just arrived. English. But... :rofl he checked our passports...saw the Goa visas...and laughed saying he'd just left Goa where he had a job as a manager at a restaurant in Baga! :rofl

Small world indeed.

Papa
papa - don't forget if you enter Thailand via land crossing you only get a visa for 14days.

Edited to say - forget the above - did not realise it was a 3 week holiday, just re-read original post ;)
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image