Far East

Discussions regarding holidays in the Far East.
Sihanoukville
30 Posts
Hi Shirley
Off to Sihanoukville in Nov for 2nd time thought we would revisit before it get's to commercialized so hoping it has not changed much it is very laid back with no hustle and bustle at all.
Not really many big hotel's around it is mainly guest house's and alot of these look really nice, we stayed at the Golden Sand's hotel last time which was a bit dated but OK for the time we spend in the room, but this time at Reef Resort as that has a pool and alot of the other place's don't.
There is not alot to do there just chill, the nightlife is mainly around the beach shack's or on what they call the beach road so there are a few music bar's if you want them. All the restaurant's are very much the same none what you call up market, but all sell great food and very cheap. If you are looking for somewhere to do shopping then this is not the place, no shop's around the beach area only a couple of small supermarket's and the shop's that are in the town are for the local's, so you won't be pestered on the beach with all that tourist tack you just get the people doing massage, pedicure's and the people selling seafood or fruit.
It is 2 year since we were there last so thing's may have changed abit but not too much I hope.
Counting the week's down now can't come quick enough starting the holiday off in Bangkok.
What no shopping ??????????? :yikes oh well we can shop in Bangkok, thanks so much sheppo for the advice, I was looking at the acommodation on some websites and the RR looks good, have you booked it direct with the hotel ? many thanks, shirley.
:( Still hunting for my little blue book Shirley!

Stayed at Reef Resort in March Sheppo...excellent choice! :tup There's an ATM maching RIGHT outside - with a 24hr guard so added security for the hotel! They had a new manager when we were there...just arrived..English....who had previously ran a bar in.....BAGA :rofl Goa! Nothing was too much trouble. I'll put some pics up later of Reef.
http://www.sihanoukvilleonline.com/
Hi Shirley,check out this website....mostly expats who live in Snooky but sure they will give you lots of info.
thanks Spaldy :tup still a toss up between Sihanoukville and Goa for next Xmas ... decisions, decisions :think
;) Goa!

Will have another look for my book! LOL!
Depending on how long you have Shirley you could split your time..Thailand/Cambodia.You can get the bus back to the Thai border any day of the week. Would be ideal if you just had a return flight ticket to Bangkok then you could do as you wish,not sure if you would want to do it that way. Could also work out a lot cheaper aswell. :tup
I'll be in Sihanoukville around 27 November, can't wait. It's the first time for years I haven't been in Goa December but am looking forward to a change and hopefully Goa that was!
I look forward to hearing how your holiday goes. Its yet another place I have down in my "must dos"- trouble is the list never gets any shorter :D
Likewise- we are looking at going to Cambodia next year
Went to Sihanoukville last year as a change from Goa and Thailand.
After an independent trip through Siam Reap and Phnom Penh we stayed at the Reef Resort. Fabulous position...little cinema over the road, big bar showing football...lots of other bars/restaurants and dive shops on your doorstep.
Very chilled and laid back, small rooms but by the pool....the Reef Resort bar was really good. Fabulous breakfasts.
There's a shop about 50 feet away for drinks, groceries etc...

We didn't like Serendipity Beach (which is 5 mins walk down the hill)...lots of backpackers on extreme budgets (ie...hand out flyers and sleep on the floor for nothing), bugs in the sunbed mattresses, beach wasn't particularly clean and we were offered weed every time we walked onto the beach!

10 mins around the coast is Victory Beach....much better sand, calmer sea and better shacks. More like a Thai or South Goa beach...no backpackers rolling joints and living on £2 a day.
How would Sihanoukville be for 2 females travelling alone, safety wise ?
Anyone?? safe for 2 females , I have been to Cambodia before but not Sihanoukville so I wondered about crime levels.
Hi you usually find me skulling on the Goa site but we have had enough and want to try something else and Sihanoukville looks good. We usually stay in Candolim - so prefer the queiter end of town - ie few bars/nice places to eat etc. What is Otres like - is it difficult to move around from there or should we stay at the quiter end of Ocht/Serendipity beach(if there is one)??? Help please
We are off to Cambodia in September for three weeks. Doing the usual Siem Reap Pnomh Penn trip and then heading down to snooky.

Our first time but my brother is just back and had a great time. He described it as a bit like Goa used to be.

Really looking forward to it as this is our first three week trip. We have pushed the boat out and splashed out on businees class seats albeit with China Airlines.

Will of course post a report on my return.

Papa
Papa - Hi
albeit with China Airlines.

We had a great trip to BKK Bus Class with China Airlines via AMS(and a great price). The only problem was BA who did the LHR to AMS leg. They would not check the baggage through, so this meant collecting bags and going through immigration in AMS and then checking in at China Airlines desk. On the return we managed to get bags checked through to LHR but could not get boarding passes for the AMS to LHR leg and this was a problem as the BA transfer desk was closed. The BA lounge was unhelpful (to say the least) and they told us that we must pick up boarding passes at the gate. A pain in the butt and VERY unhelpful if you wanted duty free. The gate said yes - they would issue a boarding pass, but we had to go through to the final departure area.

I don't believe that BA have a formal relationship with China Airlines (and are doing their best to break any threads of a relationship with their passengers).

Allow time in AMS (if that is the way you are going) and be prepared to chase BA - If you are prepared for the worst and the best happens, great.

:tup

Hope that this helps - Best wishes and enjoy

Peter
Thanks peter.

We fly Manchester with KLM who have a codeshare with China Airlines so our bags are checked through to BKK. Leaving us more time to enjoy the lounge.

Papa
Hi Fred
Both beache's meet no quiet or busy end to it. Sihanoukville is really only two long road's with a few restaurant's and bar's on them and not much of anything else no shop's as such only a couple of supermarket's it is a great place just to chill out.We are off back there in Nov for the 3rd time and hoping there has'nt been too much change.
I'm just back, and wouldnt recommend it at all. The place is a building site,rubbish everywhere and open sewers running into the sea. We ended up moving on after 4 days and wont be back. Otres beach was the nicest beach if you still intend on going,but not much accomodation down that way.

just to say,it's nothing like how Goa used to be either, I think those days are long gone if it ever was.
  • Edited by Martin_d 2011-06-14 19:20:36
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image