Greece - Crete Discussion Forums

Discussions regarding holidays in Crete.
Mossies
9 Posts
Hi there

My advice would be " be prepared"!!! we travel to Crete every month throughout the summer and I can honestly say I never quite know when is the "best" or "Worst" times :-( I get bitten very badly too....so the usual preparation really, keep doors and windows closed at dusk and use the plug in repellants...I also use repellant lotion, and take this out with me in the evening, just in case I can feel that I am getting bitten!!!! some weeks I have come home without one single bite!!! :-) bonus :tup
Thanks for your reply,I will I vest on a couple more plug ins cheers :tup
Eat Vegemite. Ha well that is what the Aussies told me when I was fruit picking out there when I was a youngster and it actually seemed to work....I think!? Anyway years later I read that apparently the Vitamin B helps somehow. Maybe old wives tale?
Mossie repellent bands are 89p for two in Home Bargains - I find them good :tup
There's a 44 page thread here, spanning a good few years! You'll probably find all the help you need in HERE
Hi Vic
Mozzies were a slight problem last week. They are definately around at the minute and quite a few people round the hotel had a dozen bites or more. We didn't take plug-ins this time (simply due to lack of organisation) and were going to buy them there but when we arrived at 4am I just covered us and the kids in repellant and put a few drops of citronella oil on a tissue next to each bed - it worked quite well so that's wat I did every night after showering.

We each got one bite each in the 10 days but much less than normal. We used a mix of Boots on brand DEET repellant and a "natural" one we bought at a pharmacy there.
Thanks zeb will definitely stock up on some repellant :tup
Having a property in the olive groves they are always a problem and really seem to love me. I use Boots own repellant with 50% DEET.

Also, look in your local branch of 'Poundland', if you have one, and buy a 'bug bat' for £1 (on the camping fixture). Lightweight to pack and ideal for when you are sitting out in the evening enjoying a drink or two. It makes a satisfying sizzle when you get one of the blighters! :tup

Camilla
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.