Far East

Discussions regarding holidays in the Far East.
With less than a week in country I wouldn't bother with the train from Hong Kong. Your idea of flying to Shanghai and Beijing seems about right, two days in Shanghai would allow you to see a fair amount and four days in Beijing would give you time to see the main sights, even enough time to take a day tour out to the Great Wall.
There are some interesting places not too far from Shanghai, Hangzou, Suzhou and maybe Wuxi but they would take far too much out of your already limited time in country and travelling through China can be somewhat frustrating with delays at times.
Main sites to see in Beijing are the Forbidden City with Tiananmen Square. The Temple of Heaven, The Summer Palace on Kunming Lake and of course the Great Wall. Try and visit a traditional Beijing Duck restaurant. You might find it helpful to book a 3 day packet of excursions for when you are in Beijing, you would most likely be picked up at your hotel. If you go out to the Wall do allow a full day as there are often bad traffic jams.
It's over 20 years since I was last in Shanghai and I expect it has changed somewhat but I do remember the
Yuyuan Garden and the Nanjing Road. I believe you can now take a cruise on the Huangpu River which will give you views of both old and modern Shanghai and do take a walk along the Bund.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.