Far East

Discussions regarding holidays in the Far East.
Hong Kong
5 Posts
Hey is Babs still on HT?

How did you get on in HL over last new year. Will be in HK this new year.

Nivsy
She is still posting Nivsy so I'm sure she'll answer your question before long.
I'm here :)

The Chinese celebrations last 3 days and during that time an awful lot of offices and some shops close, but not enough to stop you shopping!! People also come into the city to be with their family (a Chinese tradition apparently). This meant that the crowds were even more horrendous than usual. Check when you arrive because there are flower parades and fireworks during some, but not all, of the evenings (we missed them as we only had 1 night in Hong Kong). If you want to watch the Parade (Kowloon) you need to be in position early and again, be prepared for lots of pushing and shoving. To be honest, I was a little scared at the sheer volume of people and felt I was being carried along rather than making my own way, so we went back to the hotel and watched it on the TV! What we did see was good but weirdly enough the best view of the Parade was when we arrived in Sydney a couple of nights later and walked through ChinaTown!

We'd intended to visit the Peak the following day, but because the offices were closed there was a 2 hours wait in line just to get to the ticket office. I'm not sure if you can pre-purchase tickets, but if you can and you want to go up the Peak it's probably the best way. I don't know what you are intending to do, but if you don't mind lots of people you should be all right.

If I think of anything else, I'll post again.
Thanks Babs appreciate the post. I have been to HK before but not at new year time (well our new year time).

Ta. Nivsy
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image