Far East

Discussions regarding holidays in the Far East.
Hong Kong
26 Posts
I went to HK late June/early July. It was hot and humid and there was a fair bit of rain around with the odd sunny interval. Did not stop us enjoying the place. Its a dead easy and cheap city to get around, the underground is straight forward as are the trams and buses.
Thank you so much Sunbear, to be honest I am very excited at the prospect of going to Hong Kong!! Do you think 7 days will be to long, to short or just right? As we're on budget we're looking at the Metropole Hotel and the Eaton Hotel both seem pretty standard but as we're only sleeping there that doesn't really bother us, has anyone had any experience with either of these? I'm also hoping they're in a good location!

Also I was wondering has anyone had any experience with Hong Kong Oasis, they're the first low fare long haul flight I believe, their to cheap :?
Seven days sounds OK. There is plenty to do in HK, also some of the outlying islands are worth a visit, as a contrast to the hustle and bustle of the city. We were there for seven days and there was plenty to do...from doing the city, to a walk in the country side to sitting on a beach.

Don't know the hotels from personal experience but they feature in many operators brochures which usually indicates they are OK. They are far eastern hotels so standards should be quite high. We stayed at the Excelsior...got a good deal but it seems to have gone up in price of late.
I did hear someone mention the outlying islands, beaches etc... are these easily reached Via ferries etc... or is it more of a travel agent excursion??

I think if we do stay we will stay at the Eaton, it seems cheap compared to most Hotels in HK and it seems in easy reach of local attractions!!

Thank you so far sunbear, all you have said has been a great help and may have pushed me into going to HK this year!! :D
good to see you have decided to try something apart from Thomsons.
We have been in July.It was extremely humid but we were lucky in that it only rained once.
Have a look at the Hong Kong must dos at the top of the page. Ferries are easy to organise.
Are you planning and going somewhere apart from Hong Kong? We have teamed it with Bangkok and Koh Samui for example. 5 days was enough time for me- but then we did do a return trip!
Hi,
Hongkong is a great place, lots to see and do.Brilliant shopping.
I was there in oct for 4 nights, as a stop-over on the way to Aus.
Had a great time ,stayed at the newton inn on hong kong island.
In sept i am taking my daughter with me, she is 23 ,we are there for 7 nights , we are flying with oasis [have already booked]. We are staying at the royal garden hotel in kowloon, it looks really nice, and has a good pool area.We booked on the hotels own site, and got the best price.
Have fun
suzi
Well Fiona, I have flown with other Companies before, but I kind of found my comfort zone with Thomson, but I've decided to venture out of that, though i'll be very nervous :roll: !!

To be honest Fiona we were originally considering Koh samui but as we're on a tight budget I think we'll be quite happy to stay in Hong Kong!!

I was also wondering if we do decided to go the flight with Hong Kong Oasis back to LGW departs at 01:05 the day after we depart, what could we do for 13 hours?

And my last question..... I promise :D This might be the wrong place to post this bit but as it's a bit of a concern of mine I would greatly appreciate some help!! On two seperate occasions my g/f has experienced as she described as severe pain while flying, once it was in her Ear and the other time just above her Eyebrow (which lasted a while after the flight), now she visted her GP he told her she needs to drink more (this may be the problem), but I was wondering if anyone has ever had something like this before?? (as we're going long haul this time, I just want to make sure she'll be ok)
If you are on a very tight budget then you will have to think about how you are tackling Hong Kong because day to day it is expensive.Transport is cheap and you do spend a lot of time walking but a night out will really eat into the budget. Its certainly possible to do Hong Kong on a budget but you will have to plan it.
I wouldn't say Very tight, I don't think .... how much speanding money would you suggest is adequate for a week in HK Fiona?
I think I will leave that for others to answer. When we went in April we were only there 3 full days and going on to Vietnam and Bangkok( which are really cheap) so we probably "pushed the boat out " more than we would have had we been for a week. The first time we went(2002) Hong Kong was officially the most expensive city in the world!
Oh dear......... I hope this doesn't stop us from going, I hope our budget will allow us to go!!
If you like a drink at the end of a day look for places with a happy hour and try to not query whether they have forgotten it is happy hour when you get the bil :lol:
Seriously though, it will be possible to do Hong Kong on a budget. Others are bound to chip in with advise.
Thanks for all the help so far Fiona it is truly appreciated. Come on then others, roll in the advice :D ??
Have to agree with Fiona on this

Getting about is very cheap, but if you want a drink be prepared to pay for it, best stick to Happy Hours.

We were there for 3/4 days a few years ago and were happy to get back to Bangkok as its a lot cheaper.
I guess the best advice is to wander about to see things and experience things rather than actually "go anywhere" (hope that makes sense)

Get the octopus card for travel- and take trips out, at least that way your travel is paid for up front. get the bus round to Stanley and wander round the market, take the ferry out to lantau and have a wander about. Kowloon is generally cheaper than the island as well.

If you plan well you'll be fine, most of Hong Kong is about experiencing the place rather than visiting museums etc and that you can do very cheaply. I do remember the Space museum and the other one on the harbour (can't remember which) having one day a week when they're free- worth finding out as they were a good few hours spent.

The octopus card used to be valid for the Kowloon circle tour as well- which is a hop on- hop off bus which goes round Kowloon, gives you a chance to see another side of Hong Kong and you don't have to pay twice
ideas for cheap eats here - http://gohongkong.about.com/od/wheretoeatinhk/tp/cheaphkeats.htm

you'll find lots of info on the official HK tourist website, including things to see for free - http://www.discoverhongkong.com/eng/index.jsp

We usually had a drinks on Ashley Road in the evening and liked a bar there called Mes Amis. They also do great late night nibbles.
Sorry I forgot to say that we were staying on the Kowloon side and that it seemed cheaper over there than the HK side.

A day trip to Lantau Island is also worth it.
Thankyou for the info Puddleduck theres some interesting stuff there, I don't suppose you would know how much roughly to take for a week!
I wouldn't like to say Rich - HK was our luxury blow out at the end of a 3 week tour of China so we didn't have a budget as such.
ok- just had a look through my cc bills! We paid £55 for dinner at Cafe Deco ( on Victoria Peak). That would be starter, main course with a glass of wine each and probably one other drink. We were also that price for Indochine but £26 for Peking Garden Restuarant, which was great! We used the card once in a bar and during happy hour we were £7.88 for a small beer and a rum and coke. Dim Sum one lunchtime at the City Hall( an absolute must do) was £17 but we did stuff ourselves :lol:
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image