Far East

Discussions regarding holidays in the Far East.
I'm not sure there's enough to keep you interested for 2 weeks, but we were in Hong Kong for 5 days and didn't see and do everything we wanted to. I think 7-10 days might be enough.

As regards a package or flight and hotel separate, you try pricing a package on Expedia then pricing flights using http://www.kayak.co.uk and accommodation sites like Travel Republic, Alpharooms, etc.

luci :wave
I agree with Luci- 2 weeks would be too long. We also did 5 days the first time we went and didn't manage to do everything-but 7 days would be enough. Also its expensive, although the fact that you don't need to book trips or tours as you can do everything yourself does offset the accomodation costs a bit. My OH went there with the merchant navy at the same time as you and he did notice huge differences but still loves it.
As for package or DIY- explore all options as one is never always cheaper than the other.
Why not do a two centre holiday? We have combined it with Bangkok before. We found really cheap flights between the two- but it does take some research. Or you might prefer a beach for your second option. Any recommendations would depend on when you are looking to travel.
You are right not to get too bothered about where you stay, just make sure you are within reach of the mtr, which can get you anywhere in minutes.
I've just come back from a five night break in Hong Kong - I travelled as a single, and booked through LastMinute.com. Flight was out of Newcastle with Emirates, and the hotel was the 4 star Regal Oriental in Kowloon. I got a really good price just on £700 for flight and hotel even allowing single supplement!
Hotel was excellent (though views from the rooms in Kowloon are nothing to write home about).
Kowloon is approximately a 30 minute bus ride from central HK island - but public transport in this city is incredibly frequent, cheap, clean, and amazingly well organised. Many buses even provide free wifi so you can plan and track your travel on your smartphone.

Hong Kong is an amazing destination - there is so much to see. And most people don't even realise that there's much more than just the city and harbour. The other side of HK island, with Stanley and Aberdeen is worth exploring.
You can even go and spend time on the nice clean beaches of Lamma Island where cars are banned. It's only a 30 minute low cost ferry ride.
English (spoken) is fairly widely understood everywhere in HK - and if they don't understand you, you simply get a great big friendly beaming smile.
Yes the flight is an initial cost - but once there in HK street food is excellent, clean, and unbelievably cheap. And the markets - prepare to shop till you drop.
Actually probably one thing that always stays with one after coming home is just how clean HK is. You can go thro city underpasses - there are no cigarette buts or empty packets or chewing gum anywhere at all. There are posters everywhere pointing out fixed penalty fines for littering - but I reckon it's the HK culture which makes folk act as they do. In my whole time there I saw virtually zero police presence - it just doesn't seem to be needed.

I'm already planning a 2013 trip, and I found whilst there this time how easy and cheap it is to go on beyond HK to places like Cambodia, Vietnam, or into mainland China.
You got a brilliant price- well done :)
we have twice flown between Hong Kong and Thailand. We used Emirates and United. One of the times we then flew on to Saigon- again a cheap flight. You do have to check daily as both flights were less than the half of the price of normal ones. When we went to Saigon we couldn't get a flight directly from Hong Kong which didn't cost an arm and a leg.
I agree about Stanley and Aberdeen. We went on a double deck bus and the journey itself was interesting. We also actually went into Aberdeen after taking a boat round the harbour. Aberdeen was very different from Hong Kong. We also felt that we were the only tourists there( well nearly!)
Hi Cart583. We were in Hong Kong for 10 nights at the end of January for Chinese New Year. We certainly didn't run out of things to do, even though it was our 6th visit!

Some of the things we did this time:-

Ocean Park to see the pandas
The Mongkok markets - Ladies, Flower, Bird and Goldfish
Shopping and window shopping in Nathan Road
Visiting Stanley market and lunch on the promenade
Hong Kong Wetlands Park - a first for us, but probably not the last time!
Tramride up to North Point, walking around the open market stalls and on the waterfront
The zoo and botanical gardens - another first
A walk around Western Market and Central district, taking in the big escalator, Hollywood Road and the Man Mo Temple
A morning at the Science Museum - yet another first!

Bearing in mind that it was January and quite chilly, some of the things that we didn't do, but which we've either done in the past or plan to do on a future visit:-

Visiting the outlying islands of Lamma and Cheung Chau
Pink dolphin-spotting trip
A trip up to the Big Buddha on Lantau
Victoria Peak
A sail on the Duk Ling - the iconic red-sailed junk that's in so many photos of HK
The beaches and country walks on the south side of HK Island

I'm sure there's lots more, but you get the idea - given the weather I could happily spend 3 weeks in Hong Kong, never mind 2!
thanks xenosuk, i am sure i could easily fill 2 weeks, i was there for 2 years and on our days off from work we loved going out and about. it is my dream to show my sons this wonderful place. i know it will all have changed but i bet there will be plenty there i recognise. so glad u had a great time x
2 weeks does seem long but if you have spent plenty of time there before, then surely it will be wonderful to have all the time to give your sons a real feel of the place. I agree that finding some cheap flights online with the fare comparison sites will save you some money and give you the freedom to explore all the places close to your heart. But sometimes packages are easier when you have a family... I still would go for just the flight option, personally. The markets are still interesting, Oceanpark I hear is wonderful tho i've never been, Disneyland is good fun... and a little relaxation in Lantau. You should be all set for good times. Don't forget to eat lots of dim sum!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.