America/Canada Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in America and Canada
Hi Cadge

Have you had a look at some of the posts on our NY section, lots of useful info there.

Staying on 43rd/8th you are within easy walking distance of many of the activities around Times Square. You could walk to the Rockefeller Center and go up to the Top of the Rock, which I preferred to the Empire State Building. I went to the top late afternoon and stayed up there until it was dark and watched all the lights come on all over the city, quite magical, though a bit cold.

I felt quite safe walking (on my own) even late at night after going to a show as long as I kept to the main areas. No problems riding the subway, though I didn't use it at night.

Many tourists ride the hop on hop off bus I think there is both a one or two day ticket on offer, it would give you a good idea where everything is. I chose to book a 6hr guided tour of Manhattan with lots of stops, on my first day there. It departed from Time Square around 9am. and we were given the option of being dropped off at Macy's Department Store. at the end of the tour. I would highly recommend the tour. The guide was extremely knowleagable and I was able to find my way around quite easily after the tour. When I was there Macy's were giving a discount to foreign tourists, I don't know whether it's still available but worth researching. You just had to take your passport to the info. office in the shop and you were issued with a card.

I ate in various places around Times Square, can't really remember any names, but do try to eat in one of the Delis, they are a New York institution and it's worth trying one of their huge hot sandwiches. (big enough for two people) There are as you can imagine lots of places to eat and you will have loads to choose from. Being on my own I didn't do much in the evening other than eat or go to a couple of shows though I did take a taxi to a Blues Club in Greenwich village on one evening.

I bought the AA essential Guide to New York it's quite small and fitted into my handbag and gave me lots of ideas and I also bought the New York Popout Map from Amazon it's also small and I found it invaluable for finding my way around.

New York is an exciting though tiring city and I hope that you and your daughter enjoy your trip as much as I did mine.
Thanks for all the info Judith. The Rockefeller Centre is on our list of things to do and taking your advice we'll go late afternoon, have dinner in the area and spend the evening on the observation deck. Would you suggest reserving tickets online before we go? Same question for a show, would you pre-book? Looking forward to trying the deli sandwiches, especially pastrami. :)
Hi Cadge

I went to two shows during my visit, I booked one on the internet before going. I used a discount site Theatermania.com and just picked the ticket up at the Theater Box Office, all went very smoothly The other one I booked on the day of the performance. I bought it from the TKTS Booth in Times Square it's open every afternoon (I think) and sells tickets at huge discounts, though of course you may not be able to get ones to every show.
I bought my ticket for the Top of the Rock at the entrance to the center, buying it online may save you queueing but there wasn't anyone waiting when I went up and there are often people giving out discount coupons around the building.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.