Far East

Discussions regarding holidays in the Far East.
Hi
We were there about 18 months ago- and found it pretty cheap even in comparison to the rest of the area
We didn't really use taxis though, but food and drink very cheap- Bia Hoi you could get about 6 for a pound!
Bike hire was about a pound for a day, fresh sea food really cheap on the beach £2-3
Laundry was about $1 per kilo as well
Vietnam is pretty cheap, generally. I say generally, because I found that some shops, mostly the western franchises, in HCM (and I'm sure other main cities too) are exorbitantly expensive. For example, they charge USD4.50 for a roll at DeliFrance.

Beware also of the so-called boutique accommodation resorts, because they charge up to USD100+ per night, which is equivalent to something like 3 months' worth of salary in Vietnam; obviously a total rip-off, no matter how many flower petals they put on your bed ;)

That said, if you eat local food at local, yet reputable eateries and stay in locally-owned resort, you'll find Vietnam pleasantly affordable.
Also going in December after several years visiting India around the same time.
Been looking at the prices of excursions/days out and they seem to be considerably higher than similar types of outings in India.
Has anyone here done 'DIY' excursions, perhaps hiring a taxi or tuktuk privately rather than through agents?
What sort of prices did you pay?
We needed to get from Saigon to Ben Tre and found one of the easiest ways was to book a 'trip' through out Hotel, (Saigon Europe Hotel..room 301 ;) ). We were up early and checked out by 8.00am - picked up from our hotel by coach and off to Mekong Delta.

First stop was My Tho where we stopped for fruit/tea and local music/singing...then canoe up backwaters stopping at village making coconut fudge/honey. Python for those that wanted photostop holding it. Picked up another boat and up the Mekong River to village stop for lunch (beef/veg/rice/pork). Back onto boat and half hour looking around beautiful pagoda. The coach then met the rest and took them back to Saigon but the guide, Alex, organised a cab to pick us up and take us onto Ben Tre where we were staying at Oasis Hotel. Total of trip cost approx £12pp.

When we left Ben Tre two days later we got cab to bus station (approx £6) and three hour trip to Can Tho by local bus (complete with tree and three cockerels scattered around the 'bus') for £2pp.
Betty Boop wrote:
We needed to get from Saigon to Ben Tre and found one of the easiest ways was to book a 'trip' through out Hotel, (Saigon Europe Hotel..room 301 ;) ). We were up early and checked out by 8.00am - picked up from our hotel by coach and off to Mekong Delta.

First stop was My Tho where we stopped for fruit/tea and local music/singing...then canoe up backwaters stopping at village making coconut fudge/honey. Python for those that wanted photostop holding it. Picked up another boat and up the Mekong River to village stop for lunch (beef/veg/rice/pork). Back onto boat and half hour looking around beautiful pagoda. The coach then met the rest and took them back to Saigon but the guide, Alex, organised a cab to pick us up and take us onto Ben Tre where we were staying at Oasis Hotel. Total of trip cost approx £12pp.

When we left Ben Tre two days later we got cab to bus station (approx £6) and three hour trip to Can Tho by local bus (complete with tree and three cockerels scattered around the 'bus') for £2pp.

Like that idea :-) Will be going on to Ben Tre as well.
Was that python in the pics really photoshopped?! Looked convincing.
Was that python in the pics really photoshopped?! Looked convincing.

;) sorry I meant for a photo stop. Yep is was real enough LOL! Amazing feeling the muscles constricting as you held it :yikes :rofl Opportunity I couldn't miss LOL!
Hi All,

looking at Vietnam in Nov 13, what are the main resorts to look at for a good beach chill out with enough to do outside the hotel (bars and restaurants)
Hi all just booked for hoi an in nov. done Asia but not Vietnam. Wot are the price like for eating out and drinking, like to do local bars and restaurants. Need some advice on sights but not bothered bout the war memorials etc.
Also having 2 nights in ho chi Minh city so advice once again would be appreciated. Anything you've got on either (prices of taxis etc) would be helpful
Hi Peter
I can't believe its 7 years since my visit to Saigon but you might find the report handy for some trip ideas. It can be read here. We were so fortunate as we went at a time when prices were rock bottom and I know that that is no longer the case. We would love to return though, but see more of Vietnam.
I've edited the Vietnam part of my report to make it easier to read. When the site went through an upgrade, it left googledegook where ever dashes or apostrophes were used. You see what I mean on the HK part of the report.
Fiona wrote:
I've edited the Vietnam part of my report to make it easier to read. When the site went through an upgrade, it left googledegook where ever dashes or apostrophes were used. You see what I mean on the HK part of the report.

Thanks Fiona :tup
we are due to go to Nha Trang at xmas arriving on Boxing Day, we have to land in Ho Chi Mihn 1st, Could someone let me know if we get our visas here before travelling on ? and also if we get our visas in Ho Chi Mihn, Can we then go out of the airport as we have a 5 hour stopover ? any suggestions on what we could do.
hi Pitty
You get them from the Vietnamese embassy. Its been a few years since our trip but I do remember they came very quickly
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image