Far East

Discussions regarding holidays in the Far East.
Vietnam
13 Posts
hi Lisa
there are quite a few members who have been to Vietnam. The costs once you are there are ridiculously cheap. For instance a day trip from Saigon to the Mekong Delta, involving transport, umpteen different boats and all the things we visited with lunch came to £5! We stayed in an executlve room in a 5 star hotel with breakfast, free drink for 2 hours and nibbles every night for approx £70 for the room!
For weather info have a look at this site. We went to Saigon in August and it was gorgeous weather but VERY humid. You need to take taxis everywhere during the day as it is difficult to walk for long. August if you look at the weather charts is not the ideal time to go but it was ok for us.
You do need a visa - apply to the Vietnamese embassy. Its not too bad but it does seem to put people off going.
I really want to return to Vietnam - sooner rather than later and would try Hanoi next.
My trip report
Goanaddicts report
Zabkas report
Hi Lisa

As Fiona mentioned, I went to Vietnam in September/October 06.

We went with THG (travel company). I found them on website and their itenary look the best and included all the places we wanted to see.

For 13 day tour of Vietnam plus 1 night in Bangkok on B&B we paid £2930.00 for two of us (we wanted to stay in the better hotels, the other option was around £ 70.00 cheaper per person but the hotels were one star less). We had all flights included (LHR to BKK to Hanoi, Hanoi to Danang, Danang to Saigon, Saigon to BKK and BKK to LHR :D ), all transfers, tour guides and drivers were included. We were very happy with everything (apart from one small problem on Halong Bay boat - but it is in my report).

For the whole stay in Vietnam we spend around £ 200.00 on food and souveniers (well.... and some clothes and shoes done in Hoi An) :wink: . We don't really drink much so that's maybe why we spent so little.. and brought back full suitcases :rofl

We wanted to see Vietnam before it becomes too touristy and I am glad I've been there. I am sure that you will like it.
Hi

I travelled to Vietnam in '98, independently whilst I was travelling around Thailand. Got a flight from BKK to Hanoi and back to BKK from Ho Chi Minh City.

I loved Vietnam. especially Hanoi and its french architecture. It wasnt really geared up fpr tourism, and not as much as HCMC which I thought was probably a bit like Bangkok was in the 60's. This was slightly more hard work as we were two guys travelling and were accosted all the time which got very irritating, however, I would go again with the family, and it was dirt cheap at the time.

Hope this helps,
Hi Lb

Again, has Fiona has posted holiday my report, we went in Oct 06 and made all the arrangements ourselves flights £1460.00 (which included stopover in Singapore)

Accommodation in Nha Trang was 5* at £75 per room per night incl breakfast (10nights) but there are lots of very nice hotels a lot cheaper just depends if you staying in one place or touring I guess.

Vietnam is a lovely place and hopefully we will return before it gets even more popular.

Jules
We are interested in going to Saigon Xmas 2007, will the weather be dry at that time of year also we are looking at staying at the Renaissance Hotel which have quoted me around £150.00 a night for executive room including benefits, does this seem high, the Sheraton was twice this. Maybe because it is Xmas time. I was going to book it myself, flying to Singapore then getting a Tiger Airways flight. Any advice would be helpful.
Hi Catfish, i`ve just returned from Vietnam, spent xmas and the new year there, it was my 3rd visit. Yes the weather will be very hot but not necessary sunny though. The prices you quoted are very high, perhaps it`s the xmas prices.

We stayed at the Rex again in Saigon, that was $100 a night for a family room, about £60. What are these benefits that charge that much? Do they tell you. There are literally hundreds of decent hotels in Saigon, so i wouldn`t bother booking, we choose the rex for it`s location and roof top bar, its been voted one of the top 5 bars in the world.

Only draw back xmas time are the price of the flights.
Catfish
we stayed there last April for under £70 per day in an executive club room with all the perks. Try some other booking agents and see what they come up with.
Thank you for your replies. I actually emailed the Sheraton and the renaissance direct and these are the prices they gave me. The Executive benefits just really include 2 hours of free cocktails that interest us. Maybe we should just go for a normal deluxe room. Do you have any agents that are worth going through.

Thanks again.
I stayed at the caravelle last year its just across the road from the rex

There roof top bar is called saigon sagon and was very popular with journalist during the war.
we liked Saigon Saigon as well :D
Hi we would really like to visit Vietnam.
Can you get package holidays and if so who with?
Are the flights from London only?

Thanks in advance
Spottiswoode
Hi Spottiswoode

We used THG for our holiday in Vietnam and would definitely recommend them! Everything was as planned. We were picked up at every airport, all our excursions were good.. we even had more lunches included than we expected. Our package included all transport (flights and car including a guide), all accomodation on B&B basis and excursions (like Cuchi tunnels, Mekong Delta or Halong Bay etc).
The only critisism we had was that some of the guides could do with a personality transplant :D
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image