Greece and other Greek Island Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Greece and other Greek Islands.
Why? We never had to get them before the EU.

They will still want Sterling every bit as much as they want it now.

If it does introduce a visa presumably it will be like the E-visa that you get for Turkey and takes a nano second to apply for. I can't see them wanting to stuff their tourist trade as it's one of the few things they have going for them.

They are unlikely to put themselves on the back foot compared to Turkey and Egypt who must be main competitors to their tourist trade offering cheap package holidays, and have risen to tourism success despite not being in the EU and the need for visas.

Sounds like you're putting out some propaganda here, and trying to scare people.

Really there are far more important things at stake than the British's ability to have an annual cheap package holiday or two which is after all not one of life's essentials but a luxury. Governments are more interested in controlling our overflowing borders, the inability of the NHS, Education system, infrastructure to cope and the ability to provide jobs for an ever growing populace; not you getting two cheap weeks on a beach (as indeed they should be).

We have had it pretty good for the last 40 years in that respect compared to most places - perhaps we should just be grateful for what we had, not mourn what we may not even be losing ! !

PS if they want to bring in visas for France and Benidorm I feel they should do LOL.
as one who has been following the financial difficulties in both Cyprus and Greece,My opinion is that neither can afford to pull out of the Euro, although it is still being speculated for both, Cyprus bail out funds have been frozen for a couple of months now as the politicians are still trying to protect themselves and their lackeys, Greek payments have been frozen since the leftist were elected, so why do i think they cant afford to pull out? simple really, any new currency would immediately loose value as neither country at the moment have the federal reserves or export trade to support it, Both rely on tourism for vast majority of their income, and so can't upset the apple cart by applying restrictions, Last year when on my last visit to Greek islands, the canny traders were falling over each other to acquire any sterling I had and received excellent exchange rates, those still holding sterling [they are not keen on banks] will have already made nearly 20% profit,
I agree. I think the poster is more worried about the cost of his holidays if we pull out of the EU.

Why would poorer Counties leave the EU and the Euro when they have Germany, Benelux, the UK and France shoring them up it would be madness on their part.
I travel to quite a few places outside the EU and don't have to endure any Visa fun , they do make a record of me entering and leaving their countries though ;)

There are many pros and c o n s to being in the EU , and I personally agree with some and disagree with others , but not going to make any of my political feelings on a holiday forum :D

In the future we might get a referendum on the EU , but even if we did leave , I don't think other EU countries like Spain for example would make entry for UK tourists awkward as the UK accounts for about 12m of 60m tourists that go there .

Anyway , do the Swiss have problems travelling around the EU ?
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.