Greece - Corfu Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Corfu.
Ripped Off
24 Posts
Think you'll find it's not their fault and is in fact the fault of the Euro. Went to Kefalonia and was shocked by the prices, when i did a bit of delving i was speaking to a local who said that the Euro coming in has meant the cost of living in Greece has gone up by approximately 50 per cent but wages had not increased at all. Therefore they are forced to increase their prices, thats why we should avoid the Euro at all costs in UK.
We went to blue bay escape resort self catering with first choice then upgrade at the hotel when you get there all inclusive cost was 30 euros per adult a day for all food and drink and kids free food and drink 8)
I also know someone who says the same (He owned a bar and restaurant)t they also used the Olympic games as an excuse the reality though is that a small percentage was the euro maybe 5-10% but the rest they bunged on for themselves, my friend was also told to keep up with other prices in the town or there would be trouble he's englishman and in the end got hounded out because he wouldnt be part of it. so now i think they have just shot themselves in the foot. (Go to Goa its cheaper the people are great and the weather and the sites wonderful)

Paul
well i know people who wouldnt go to goa again, i think you just got to go where you enjoy regardless of cost if the holiday suits you and you get what you want from it be it cheapness or whatever then your going to enjoy it everyone has different tastes or we would all end up in the same place and hate it because its overcrowded hope you enjoy goa i will enjoy going back to blue bay escape again this year 8) 8) 8) 8)
Yes well said Louise I do agree i with you on everything you say. I am not afraid to spend my money where ever i go but I don,t like being taken for a mug or as one greek put it "stupid english tourists will pay anything !" If I go again i will go all inclusive hahaha wont feel the same.

Paul
I can see your point Paul and I do think you are right that some people are "on the make". But i still think you can have a really cheap holiday in Greece, this year we are off to Zante for a fortnight in mid june and have paid only £280 each for self catering through Kosmar. Zante is also one of the cheaper islands to eat and drink too. Saying that having just got back from America for the first time we are now going to interchange our hols so that one year we do the US and one year Greece. America is dirt cheap and loads cheaper than the UK, also they do 1.5 litre bottles of good wine for 4 quid which is excellent for alcoholics like me!
Hi showerdance been to zante a few times where are you going we always stay in tsilivi 8)
Hi Louise we are staying in Tsilivi at the Cosmopolitan Pension and Apartments through Kosmar. Got a great deal £280 quid each for a fortnight! Can't wait til June 12th!!!!

What is Tsilivi like as i have previously stayed at Kalamaki and Lagana.
i have put a resort report about tsilivi but basically it has it all lots to do
lots of restaurants, bars lovely beech but it is not too loud at night i would say its more of a lively family resort that just an adult one i can recommend the Family restaurant say hi from Louise, Steve, Karen, Darren if you ask them they have pictures on the wall of us, see Frances at Tsilivi travel approx 15 mins walk from beach out up the main street she will sort any trips, scuba, car hire etc cheaper hope this helps have a good hol 8)
ps Tsilivi is more traditional greek than lagana 8)
Hi Louise, where is your resort report for tsilivi.
Last time we went was sept 2002 don't know how you get to older pages perhaps thats a question in the help section :roll:
Dont judge by the one who upsets you.
Yes prices have increased here as elsewhere in the Eurozone, but I have yet to meet anyone who does not feel that Greece is still good value for money.
I was IN ATHENS for the Olympics and there was absolutely NO PROFITEERING for the Olympics, with the possible exception of hotels. Restaurants, bars,taxis, transport, snacks......... all cheap. In fact I am dying to see if London gets the Olympics, and to see if the underground can cope with 100,000 people decsending onto the Circle line without a single queue or display of bad temper. I wonder if cokes will go on sale on street corners for 3 quid a tin as they did in one heat wave? NONE of that happened in Greece. I live in Corfu and we saw no profiteering, in fact we lost out because people were nervous that the Olympic country would have a get rich quick attitude... which it most certainly did not.
The Euro has raised our cost of living. In Italy they calculate the cost of living increase to be some 30% since the euro, ours is not quite so bad but certainly income is struggling to keep up with the increase.I reckon on spending around 10 pounds a head for a good 2 course meal with (quite alot) of wine and coffee. You can eat a lot cheaper if you need to budget and can spend a lot more if you like fish or other more expensive items on the menu. Have a look a in a couple of days when the updated site is on line at Travel with Friends we have done a shopping basket of sample prices to help people budget.
We always drink local wines and beers.. as sometimes they can be more than half price of imported stuff.
We spent some time with another couple and he would only drink his normal brew, it was costing him a fortune per drink.. I was on 2 for the price of 1 local beer... yee haaa
My partner and I had our first holiday in Corfu last September staying at Mirabello Appts in Dassia. We met a couple on our first night who directed us to Great Shakes bar run by Ken who originates from Scotland but has been there for probably 20 years. Whether we drank water or Smirnoff Vodka and Red Bull (normally expensive in any country) the bar prices were very reasonable. He was always prepared to help with directions, arranging restaurant reservations, tips and advice. He has even said that if we are going back this year and let him know what dates, he will get us a list of availability for appartments and contact telephone numbers. I cannot think of any bar in England where the owner would be so obliging as Ken. He also has a great night of clean FAMILY entertainment and it's all free. The meals are excellent value and overall, Great Shakes was a major contributor to the enjoyment of our holiday. Well worth a visit
We went to Sidari in 2001 and had a great time, in fact it was that good we booked up for 2002 as soon as we got home. 2002 came and off we went with Euros instead of Drachmas. Prices for drinks had almost doubled. Food had gone up about 30%. We hired a car and went to Corfu town as we did the year before and went to a Supermarket and the prices were about the same as the year before, so the Euro had not really affected the trade prices, just the ones for the tourists. We shall not go back there even though it is a beautiful island and most of the people really friendly.
A great pity greed has got the better of most of the bar owners.
Janet
We've been going to Corfu for the past six years to a little village in the North West. Yes, prices have gone up slightly, but last August we will still paying under £30 a night for a meal for two adults and two kids including drinks! Not bad in my book. Having been going to Greece for over 20 years I have never met a local who called the English "stupid" or tried to rip them off. Perhaps you're going to the wrong places?
I have worked in Greece for six years and absolutely know that the cost of living has not gone up by THAT much. I think what has happned is that the Greeks have just fallen in line and seen how much people are prepared to pay. for example an average beer in 1999 used to cost me 400 DRX (80p approx), 2004 season and you have to look around for a beer that costs around 2 euros (1.40p) which is an increase of 75%. The euro hasnt done that.
Also, and this makes us laugh alot, every year when we speak to the bar owner 'this year has been our worst for 15 years!!'. Different bar owners say it every year on a different island (naxos in 2004). They are the best people living in a great country but I feel money is getting to them a bit and its a shame.
I am working there this year and will look forward to it. I am not moaning just making a point!
Sorry have to disagree, (I have lived here for 25 years) the cost of living has definitely gone up since the Euro. For holiday makers, bear in mind, the exchange rate was initially 1.50 and more Euro to one pound , in 2002, now it barely touches 1.40. that is a big difference in the pound's buying power BUT I still maintain that holday makers find Greece a good value place to holiday, especially where in tavernas fresh home grown produce is the norm. I still maintain greed is not a motivation. I regret that lazy rounding up for convenience was a problem initially which I believe has evened out now.
With regards to the comment on the worst year in 15 years,they are not lying, or dramatising I have seen business in decline since around 1990.....and there is worse to come as the way people holiday has changed. As it stands, I think we are about to have the worst year in living memory in Corfu. Tour operators are cancelling contracts hand over fist. Independent travellers go where they can get to cheaply, that put us in the hands of the flight seat sellers.....
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.