Greece - Crete Discussion Forums

Discussions regarding holidays in Crete.
Hi - sorry I don't know if the hotel rooms have a separate back bedroom, but I did find the staff very responsive to emails (though sometimes it could be could be a day or so before they responded) - this is the email address ;

creta.panorama@iberostar.com.gr (take careful note of the '.'s !)

My main tips for this hotel would be;

- If you like peace & quiet, to use the smaller pool nearest the Rethmynon side (very far side)- often the bar here is closed so people don't tend to use the pool ...but it is only a few minutes walk to the main bar area. Often we had the whole pool to ourselves all day or shared with just a couple of other families ....it was like having your own pivate pool !

- take time to explore the whole site ...we kept findng new areas all week. We wished we had found the patio outside the main cocktail bar (above the restaurant) earlier..it was great for relaxing after dinner watching the sun go down looking across the sea. I also wish we'd gone for a nosey to the sister hotel next door the Creta Marine' - but some how we did not get round to it.

- If you have young kids they would really enjoy the replica pirate ship trip that leaves daily from the Old Harbour at Rethmynon.

- For older kids there is their own kids clubs (I think there actually 3 different clubs based on age) which is a rarity from our experience - they do fun stuff such as banana boat rides (extra cost but cheaper than normal rate), crazy golf, swimming activities, soccer, etc.

- Again, if you have kids, take or buy some inflatables ..they are safe to use in most of the little coves. We bought a little boat - the kids loved it.

- Buy your stamps with your postcards, or while you are off site - they seem to be a bit a funny about selling stamps on their own in the hotel shop if you have not purchased cards from them.

- do not buy mineral water - refill the complimentary bottles you get in your fringe at dinner - lots of people do this so don't feel embarrassed !!!

- there are no tea making facilities in your room so take your own and / or your own tea bags, if you can't do without your British cuppa !

That's all I can think of for now - I'll add to it if I think of anything ..or perhaps other people can help me out ?
When are you going in august? We are going with a 14 year old son from the 10th. I posted one of the earlier posts having been to the creta marne next door. It is a great hotel have no worries and they have excellent animation for all ages. We should have gone this year but moved to next due to moving house.
Hi violet123 and jdybnsn

So nice to hear from you both.

Jdybnsn - thanks so much for all your advice. It's lovely to hear good things about your holiday destination and great to have some tips.

violet123 - we are going on 12 Aug - from Gatwick. Glad to know you are going back for a 2nd time.
Sorry me again !

Just thought of another tip about this hotel.

..If any member of your party is terrified of creepy crawlies, I would book into the hotel block as the bugalows are quite literally in the (very beautiful) gardens .........and in gardens naturally, you are going to see the local bug life population.

Please don't get me wrong the rooms are not infested or anything, but obviously given the warm climate your patio doors are probably going to be left open quite a bit allowing the entry of these little (and in some cases, not so little) critters....we had loads of huge black millipedes which we would regularly find slowly scaling the walls...maybe this was just a seasonal thing (we went in October)..but you should be aware if you really don't like bugs & things.
We can't complain about them though - they kept our 8 year old boy amused all week, capturing these things, and releasing them back to the wild ! :roll:
Can any one tell me if the superior rooms have a hair dryer and if so what sort.
As far as I'm aware all rooms have hair dryers....these are normally the hand held type.
Thanks.

So long as they are not the fixed to the wall ones with a hose attachment as my wife can't get on with them.
Hmmmm.. :? now you come to mention it I think they might be that sort ,but I couldn't swear to it...my memory is fading as to the exact details :( Perhaps someone else could confirm ?

I'd say pack the travel drier just in case.
Thanks, we will play safe and take the hairdryer.
Another point, we are driving from the airport to the Hotel next Tuesday.
Is it easy to find coming along the main coast road from the airport.
I am at the Panorama at the moment. Weather only just got sunny after 3 days of storms.
Hotel is great , we are in one of the superior bungalows which means you get a pair of slippers a bathrobe and a bottle of wine.

Be aware if you have a sea view you will be facing north so not much sun on your balcony.

I will write a bit more about it when I get back.
Sorry Raymaher _ I did not see you post till today as I have been holidaying in Turkey (another Iberostar - the Grand Azur in Marmaris). Hope you are having a good time and the weather continues to improve (it was pretty awful in Turkey too, if any consolation :( .....and our 5* Iberostar was not as good as the Creta Mare / Panorama...or may be our expectation were too high after last year :cry: ).

Just for the benefit of other readers; the hotel is right on the main road (coast side) from Heraklion to Chania - about 2 miles out of Rethmynon, on the Heraklion side (and about equi-distance from either airport).
It is right next door to its sister hotel the Creta Marine which is much more visible from the road.
If coming from the Rethmynon direction you need to take the first right after seeing the Creta Marine - this takes you on a narrow road which then allows you to turn left, under the road, then left again to get back along to the hotel. Be careful, the hotel road is bumpy & narrow (it runs from Panormo to the hotel) and visibility turning from the underpass is poor - you need to watch out for coaches, other cars, pedestrians.... and not least the Noddy train that runs to Panormo !!!!

Enjoy the rest of your stay :D
Hi, we are going in August and have booked a superior bungalow sea front - there are 4 of us - 2 children aged 12 and 16. Could anyone please shed some light on the layout of the bungalow please? The website is limited with the room info...
Thanks in advance :-)
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.