Greece - Crete Discussion Forums

Discussions regarding holidays in Crete.
Hi Liz,
we were in Stalis (4 adults) last August and had a fab holiday. I can't really recommend any restaurants to you because we didn't have a bad word to say about any of them. There are so many to choose from that we hardly went to any one place more than twice in the fortnight.

I'd say it's worth going into Malia Old town for the occassional meal. We found 'Elizabeth & Stablos' restaurant and 'San Giorgios' had beautiful traditional food, with an excellent choice of Menu. San Giorgios was a beautiful building, where we sat outside on the upper balcony and enjoyed the Greek atmosphere there. Old Malia isn't a long walk, depending on which end of Stalis you're staying.
Don't think you can go far wrong to be honest. I'd highly recommend most of places we visited. Amici, which is situated next to the little church on the beach road, is a fantastic Italian, Marias Golden Beach, towards the Hersonnissos end of the rssort was great value, had a good choice of dishes and had a lively atmosphere. Yannis Golden Heart did great Greek dishes and Jasmine House was a very very good Chinese, probably the best restaurant we visited in Stalis.

If you're looking for great views out to sea try Romantic Corner and Mythos. Both fantastic settings although we didn't eat in either of these places so can't comment on the food.

Also have to agree with Shirley H. Malia Old Town is definately worth a trip or two. We had one meal there and this was the best of the holiday. There were two or three restaurants that looked absolutely top class and we couldn't decide. We ended up in Poco Lotto and weren't disappointed. Superb.

As for bars theres plenty to choose from, as lively or as quiet as you like. A couple of Irish bars we enjoyed were Dwyers and The Irish House. Depending on what time you go there may be a live act on there. Another place for live music was The Beachcomber.
I can also recommend the Chinese steve mentioned. I was just trying to remember its name when I read Steve's post - Jasmine House. It was superb, for quality, price and service. When we booked Stalis, we were looking forward to seeing a few live acts. However, we found that they were on quite late and being early risers (to catch every minute of sunshine) we were always ready to go back to our hotel before they came on :really
The Cretan Corner is a lovely restaurant. While I would agree with the other posters that most of the restaurants were fabulous.

I would also recommend "Katrinas" which is up a sidestreet to the left walking towards Stalis from Malia, very personal service from George and his wife and children. We only found it two days before the end of our holiday and had we done so before, we would have eaten in there more often! Prices were good too!

The only small thing I would say is that some of the restaurants on the seafront were slightly overpriced for the quality of food, but I suppose you pays the money for the sea view!

Have fun! It was our first visit to Crete last July and we loved it! :wave:
Hi Liz
Went to Stalis last Aug. We went to Greek restaurants, can't pick a favourite. Had a good meal in everyone. Don't eat at Chinese, only bad meal we had. Think you will enjoy it here, not too big and crowded. And we found it cheap to eat and drink.
bbking,

Was the Chinese you went to Jasmine House or somewhere else? Really surpised if it was. It was full every night we were there and it was one of our best meals!
We had a lovely meal there too, but I can remember another chinese there which was quite often empty.
There were some lovely restaurants at the top end of Stalis as you headed into Malia. The 2 that Shirley h mentioned in the Old Town were superb.
Steve
Can't remember the name of restaurant. It was full but we had a horrible meal. We love chinese normally but the rice I had was like eating cardboard! Must have picked the wrong night.
Hi Liz, we are going to Stalis at the end of september, first time to Crete for us as well :)
try Africa bar in stalis, great for a few quiet drinks and great barman.
Judge a taverna by the amount of locals that eat there and you'll find the kreta absolutely
the best taverna stalis/malia way, right next to the gas station as you go into malia you'll miss
it unless you're actually looking for it book at weekends because the locals take it over.Agree
the katerina is very good George and his wife Irania always make everybody so welcome.To each
his own but find I petrinos next to san goigios in malia old town far superior san giogios too touristy.
Also a must go up to moxos village in the mountains and have a meal in the square really superb
atmosphere just aviod the greek night unless you're more interested in the dancing than the food.
Rick.
hi liz am off to stalis in september to staying where shirley said, really looking forward to it, dont think well be dissapointed. greece is a great place to go. enjoy.
I am totally intrigued by this thread. I have been many times to Crete, Athens and Beijing. Surely on of the main reasons to leave one's homeland is to experience the delights of foreign soil.....from local culture and customs through to local cuisine. The joy of Crete is in its fiercely independent character which is dramatically different from mainland Greece. Raki sums up that difference in 1 glass! What is the fascination with Chinese restaurants in Crete? I've yet to find a Chinese restaurant in England that has even a remote resemblance to the kind of place and food I love to eat in Beijing, or even Hong Kong come to that. The key to Cretan food is to be found in local tavernas away from the main tourist strips which are generally full of average food at above average prices. I have frends in Athens who love to eat in Italian and French restaurants but they still spend their vacations in places like Crete to enjoy the relaxed atmosphere and the traditional food. Crete is a goldmine of flavour experiences.......but Chinese? Did I miss something?
I can even spell "friends" and "one" when I haven't had a glass or 3 of the raki I bought in the White mountains last year!
Ooohh getting excited now...soon be September!!

Thanks for replies.
We stayed in Stalks June 2016 and had a fab time we stayed at Sergiani gardens superb. Anyway walking away from main resort we ate at 3 places Camelot, Socrates and one other on same side as these two but further down can't remember the name think it began with S. Can anyone help me with the name??
Trylooking on Google Earth. If going to somewhere new or as in your case trying to recall the name of a place then it is a handy tool.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.