Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
*~amy~*,

It's a 'how long is a piece of string' question realy! Are you looking at bed and breakfast, self catering? I would say about £100 a day should cover things but it depends on how many trips you want to go on, where you go for meals, how many drinks etc.

Darren
Hi, you will find prices in Turkey have risen quite considerably especially food and drink. There has been an increase in the tax on alcohol and unfortunately some places have also put soft drinks up quite a bit. The price of meat is also expensive and having recently returned we found meals out in the typical tourist restaurants cost much the same as we would expect to pay in UK. We self catered, usually had breakfast and lunch at home or took a picnic out and then sometimes ate out at night. Sometimes these were in cheap lokantas/pide houses and other times in more expensive restaurants. Most nights we went for a couple of drinks in a bar, husband usually drinks beer and I have soft drinks. We didn't go on trips but we did hire a car at 18 pounds a day. I no longer buy souveniers but husband did buy a hamam towel. We were there for 11 days and spent about 800 pounds, this included petrol for the car. If you are on a tight budget I suggest you consider an AI hotel or perhaps half board as it is the food which could cost you the most. If you are happy to cook and eat in, self catering is an option but many places have fairly restricted cooking facilities.
Depending on the hotel cooking in your apartment and taking food purchased from somewhere other than the place you are staying can cause problems I'm afraid.I have had situations where staff have been off to say the least because we were nit spending what they considered a reasonable amount on the premisies and choosing to eat at times in our apartment.Hotels are cheap in turkey and recuperate money by tourists spending in the bar and restauraunt,I have even on one occasion been asked to bring my receipt back from our evening out under the ruse that the hotel owner could use it for tax purposes,it was so he could estimate how much we were spending a night at other places .Set meals are very reasonable in marmaris if you like chicken,pizza or pasta dishes they will cost you about 16/19 lire maybe less in armutalan which I think is around 7 quid but I would try for an all inclusive personally due to past experience even if it's a cheap one and you don't use the facilities just to avoid any possible awkwardness.I have often wondered if it's coincidental that you usually have to walk past the bar to go out at most hotels
Hi Amy. We were in marmaris last week for 1 week. A set menu in most places was around 18 lira for soup, chicken pasta or pizza main and ice cream. efes was 5 lira in most places and a coke was 3.5 lira. The boat trip was excellent value again and gave you an all inclusive day out for 25 lira each. (with lunch and all drinks included, if you went everyday it would only cost you £70 each. lol). Things have definitely gone up in Turkey over the last ten years we have been going but still good value and a great time had by all. Do save up if you intend to spend at the airport on way home though. Mega expensive !!!!!!!
Oh yes I forgot to mention the aiport. We never buy food there. Just in case of delay or if you will be there at a meal time, take a sandwich etc with you. Prices for everything there are so expensive. We drink as much water as we can before we go in as you usually cannot take it in with you and we pack a few oranges with our picnic.
:cheers We go b&b then we look for trips that include lunch so average £10-15 in our money for booze cruise and most restaraunts do meals for 7lira during the afternoons(£3.50) and as said full course evening meals average about £8-10 in our money and effes and soft drinks are £2-3 in our money. Obviously if you head down to where its buzzing on the beach front for clubs etc theres plenty of competition.
Do double check when you exchange your money..make sure you watch the cashier and count your money out in front of them and be sure you have worked out what you should be getting,, as a few untrustworthy ones will keep 10-20lira back.
£70-100 a day will be fine as turkey can be done on a budget.
Good trips ,water during the day with the odd effes and a lovely meal and two for one cocktails on the night.
I love Turkey. :hols
I agree with the last poster. We have just come back from Turunc and after reading on here and in the press were expecting prices to be notably higher than last year. We didn't think we were paying much more at all for food, alcohol is a bit more expensive but not as much as we expected.
It is still possible to eat very cheaply even in Turunc, which tends to be a bit more expensive than bigger resorts. Some of the time we catered for ourselves during the day, but we also had some great cheap lunches. In particular in a couple of small places, one of which if they were cooking for the family that day, they would give you the same as the family one day Menemen, another day a lamb stew with green beans in tomato sauce - both of which were about 7 TL (less than £3) and very tasty.
We also went to a Turkish night at the Antik a very nice restaurant for 25TL, this included lovely home-made meze for starters, bbq chicken, lamb and meatballs with rice and salad followed by cherry pancakes - delicious! This price included the entertainment which was a bit more upmarket than some I have seen, more like folk dancing with whirling dervishers, and some very talented young dancers.
All I would say is if you are careful where you eat, stay away from the big touristy restaurants, look more for small family run places and a budget of £70 to £100 will be more than enough.
can you tell me about this all inclusive boat trip ? where can i reserve please and does the drinks inckude alcohols ?
Hi Maria
I have found prices online for £15 inclusive of beer, wine and soft drinks. It's probably better and even cheaper
to book once you get there.
:welcome to HT
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.