General Chat

Start a debate or just have a natter its all happening in the General Chat forum!
Tipping
8 Posts
I tip my hairdresser and she owns the salon, albeit a little village one, but even so she does a very good job and her prices are more than reasonable, so a few pounds tip is not going to break my bank, and it's always appreciated.
Sorry Miss Pink
Didn't see this post till now for some reason. Thanks- I do struggle, but often tip the one who colours my hair.
You don't need to apologise, I think tipping is a bit of a personal thing so a certain degree how much and to who and when.

I usually give my refuse collection people a Xmas tip, and also to my regular postman too and gardener, but some may not. I don't get tipped in my job😄
I still tip my barber (but only the round up, odd 50p or £1) - the only other occasion I might tip in this country is if I have a meal at a full service restaurant, having first checked that there isn't an automatic service charge added on, provided that I've actually had good service!
I find it insulting when I've had to a)find a table myself, b) go to the bar to order food and c) go to the bar again to seek/pay the bill, to be presented with a credit card receipt with a line for gratuities!!
Certainly don't tip the refuse collectors ,who fling the recycling containers back any old how or the postman -they change almost weekly anyway.
Hi Brewerdave, I am lucky enough to have a good local village postman who if I have a parcel (not signed for) will leave for me in a safe place rather than me go to the village post office to collect. My refuse collectors are good too, they put the bins back inside my gate after emptying them:)
I have a really good postman who knows I'm the only one at home ( as I work nights ) and will take in parcels for everyone else who is out ! My bin men are probably like most , the bin is correctly positioned at the end of the drive and just on the pavement on collection day , 4 blokes turn up in a lorry , 1 is driving the other 2 eating or reading a paper and the unlucky 1 chucking the bins on the back of the lorry and then rolling the bins back into one big random pile despite the householders labelling their bins with big stick on numbers to identify where they belong .
The hairdresser I use is the daughter of the owner , very nice family and she has obviously passed the hairdresser conversation course as she starts first of all about days off and then it goes onto holidays , luckily I don't have a full mop of hair otherwise the conversation might dry up , it's a pleasant and light experience and she ends up making me look a bit better , it's worth the 10% tip I give .
I think the local refuse disposal blokes must read this forum - they didn't even bother to empty my recycling yesterday!!!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.