Egypt Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Egypt.
Tipping
38 Posts
Ive heard that a couple of English pounds is good enough to tip, also tip the maid when you see her as this will ensure a great service so ive heard.

A friend of mine also saved pound coins in bags before he went then gave them out to his favourite members of staff, barman,maid eg at the end of his holiday.

Have a fab time im going in April and can't wait. :sun2
pitsea shrimper

Thanks for that did you mean april??

So they are happy to recieve GBP then?

Many thanks
Not really they prefer Egyptian. Their banks wont change up pound coins so they have to plague holiday makers to change them into notes when they have collected enough together. Also if you tip in pound coins you will probably be overtipping in an AI. The only time I have used sterling is to give a 10 pound note to the room boy at the end of the holiday if I have run out of LE. (although if I have any LE left I still use this)This is OK as he can take it to the bank. Be careful at the airport they can try and drag your bags off you, to get a tip, dont be intimidated. The coaches are just across the car park so if you have a case on wheels you can just pull it along yourself.

Have a brilliant holiday. Most people who go tend to return which seems to say its a great place to holiday. :tup
Ive heard that they like English pound for the reason stated in the last post they get more money if you tip the pound but like doepsmc said they do try and change them up for notes as they can't change coins up.

Whatever you tip im sure they will be happy.
Hi All
I'm new to the forum so be gentle he he,taking my family to sharm in april staying at the hilton sharks bay hotel.we have been told different stories of tipping the staff in hotel.what would be a decent tip for waiters,cleaners,ect and in what currency.some say english pounds,euros,??????should we tip each day or at the end of holiday.
would also appreciate any DON'TS regards
Hi jonnybravo and welcome to HT :wave:

There is some info about tipping in this existing topic, if you carry out a search for tipping using the search tab at the top of the page you will also find a lot more info regarding tipping in Egypt.

One thing worth mentioning is that £1 coins can be used as a tip for staff but it is not easy for the locals to then exchange them in to the local currency and for this reason it is best to tip in Egyptian pounds, these can be obtained easily at the airport on arrival if required.

Graham
thanks for the reply graham everyone here has told me to take a bag of £1 coins glad you have put me right,thanks
Remember thought it is roughly £10LE (Egyptian pounds) to one of our pound coins, so therefore one of their pound coins (LE) is only worth 10p. If tipping in their own coins you will need a lot to make a pound of our money. Believe me you will not want to carry a load of Egyptian coins around with you, they way heavy and anyone will find it difficult to change them back to English currency, in fact they do not think they will.

Just remember to ask when you get your currency to get low notes, they are mucky but wash with gel.

We gave the porter/baggage lads £20 LE - for 2 suitcases = £2 sterling.

Didnt need to tip at airport.

Restaurant staff as they looked after us for all our holiday £50 LE (£5.00 UK sterling every 3 - 4 days.

Tips in restaurants are usually already added on, but that depends on your bill.

Pool lad and beach boy gave £20 LE = £2 sterling for saving our seats.

If you tip well especially if you want information they sometimes take you or get gifts for you from a cheaper place. They are on very very poor wages, a fiver to us means a weeks wages for some.

I have been to egypt 8 times, so if you need any more info, please ask :cheers

Michelle x
Hi Michelle
thanks for the info,my wife has asked if she will need anything warm for the evenings in april.also are there any definate No's that we should know about,there are four adults and my grandchildren going aged 11 and 15.i have heard lots of scary things about going out at night with grand kids.(mostly from people who have not visited Egypt)
thanks david
Hi David .

we have stayed a couple of times at HSB and there are 4 main people that we usually tip. The porter that takes your cases . Equivilent of a £1 or 2 . I've never any egypian currency at this point and they happily accept pound coins . It's better that than nothing and they will change them with the tourists for higher denomination notes that they can cash up. As has been said though their own money is always the best option.

The pool or beach towel guy . Same again every 2/3 days . he will reserve your sunbeds with nice fresh towels each day should you want .

Your favourite restaurant waiting staff . This will ensure attentive waiter service and a decent table. You will probably find that you have a favourite 2/3 . Same money again every couple of days .

And then the cleaning boy whom I normally give the equivilent of a few english pounds to at the start for our 2 rooms and a larger one at the end . Up to about £10.

Theres no need to overtip ,in fact it is discouraged , so enough to show your appreciation.

lyn

ps.forgot we usually go Easter and a light cargi, wrap or jumper will be fine for the evening should you need it . Depends on the wind really .
Thank's Lyn
Just the info I needed,sorry to be a pest but is it pretty safe for the grand children (age 11 and 15)
thanks David
perfectly safe . The Egyptians are lovely and always make a fuss of children particularly the hotel staff.

If you go down into naama bay just use common sense . The shopkeepers can be a little intimidating and somewhat annoying but all that is needed is a polite no thanks and keep walking . if theres something you actually want to buy haggle and chop the price at least in half.

lyn
Forgot David . If you are using the Dive centre , The lads that help you down to the jetty with your equipment and wash it all for you after work really hard and always appreciate a nice tip. lovely lads :)
When we first went the first time to Sharm it was very intimidating, but now i can walk into NB without any hassle at all, well almost, the shisha tents up near hard rock cafe found they are OTT trying to get you in for a drink. Don't get collared into bazaars where they ask you where you are from, and that they want to learn english so therefore before you know it, you are in a perfume shop !! I am always happy to be friendly to anyone especially Egyptians, but just be sensible. As for children, i agree that they are great with kids, if your 15 year old mind you is a girl, just keep with her, the young lads like to pinch bums etc, it freaked my daughter out when we went last year in June, she didn't come back last November with us, so not sure if this is their way of fun or not, but it was not appreciated.

We have been in April/May and found it to be in the 80s, never needed a cari, but it was a heat wave when we arrived, so i would pack one as Lynn says just in case. Women always seen to need a little coverage wear my hubby just wore t.shirts even in November.
Hi, I know there was a previous thread on tipping but this is the first time I've been to Egypt(Going 4th May) and I know what to tip for but not sure whether taking US $1 bills or LE 1/5 bills would be best for tips?
if you can get them take $ dollar bills in small amounts (ie 1 or 5), the egyptian money is a bit tatty. WE usually order the dollars before we go and ask specifically for small amounts so we can just hand the notes out as and when we want. :wave:

Ithink you will struggle to get small notes in egyptian in this country, they very rarely have less that 10le notes and more often its 20le notes or above.

You can take pound coins as well, you'll find the staff ask on a regular basis if you can change the coins for notes as they cannot exchange the coins.
generally, I usually take a few Eqyptian 10's and 20's for tipping..but they do love thier £ coins. I got collared at the airport in Hurghada by a lady who wanted me to change her collection of £1 coins into Egyptian..but she wanted a ridiculous exchange rate..and I refused..
I would say take Egyptian pounds (LE), if required you can obtain your currency at the small banks in the airport, yes the money is dirty but you will be dealing with it when you purchse anything and get change, tipping in LE saves them having to change any other currency back in to Egyptian pounds.
Remember that 10 LE is about £1 so generally tip either 10LE or 20LE.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.