Spain - Balearics - Majorca Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Majorca.
had a look on my map of Cala Millor Hotel Eureka not on. if you can give me a few clues I could see if its changed names or maybr someone else remembers it.
When we were in Cala Bona in May, I noticed a plaque on the promenade commemorating the building of the first hotel in Cala Millor in 1933 called the Eureka.This was at the beginning of Cala Millor (from the Cala Bona end). I tried to work out where the hotel was these days, but either it's been renovated and renamed or it's just been swamped.

At the Talyhot Hotel there is a very old photograph of Cala Millor showing the Talyhot and a few other buildings. The harbour at Cala Bona is shown with just a few small fishing boats on the shore (and the Cala Bona Hotel which I think is over 60 years old).
Hi,
All that I remember about the Hotels location was that it was on the seafront,in a pretty central position, there was a taxi rank in front of it also it was on a corner of a junction and on the other side of this junction was a fast food place something like a Macdonalds.
Underneath the Hotel was a few gift shops and a bar full of Football memorabilia.
Sorry if its a bit vague but its all that I can remember about it.
20 years is a long time.

Thanks in advance,Its very much appreciated.
tofog68

I've just found out that this is the name of the street it was on:
AVINGUDA DE JOAN SERVERA CAMPS.
Hope this helps.
Hi tofog68

From your description and given the street name, I think this hotel must have been located where there is a now Mango shop and a duty free perfume shop. It is a very central location and the taxi rank is still just outside (don't know about the fast food outlet, although there is a Kentucky about 5 minutes walk away). I don't believe the hotel is still there as I was speaking to someone in the Beachboys bar (a couple of minutes walk away) and they said they were staying in apartments over one of the shops on that strip and had been doing regularly for the last 20 years.

I reckon you must have been one of the last guests in the first hotel in Cala Millor!

If you wanted to return, I think the nearest hotel in the major English brochures would be the Talayot as previously mentioned.

Karen
I think you have nailed it Tippi.
If I am not mistaken there are some quite luxurious apartments over Mango etc and I am sure somewhere along there used to be booked out en-masse by PandoraSol until it went bump for the umpteenth time about 18months ago.
Going out again in Nov so will ask Andreas or Gabby at the Talayot - they are sure to know what happened to the hotel.
Martin
Hi All :wave

Long time no speak and all my fault - have been VERY VERY busy with a new job which involves a lot of work from home, my existing job and moving kids bedrooms and redecorating said bedrooms. Hope this finds you all well.

Anyway I waffle ...... the apartments above Mango to best of my knowledge were actually nothing to do with Pandora - they were just being finished when we were out in 1999 and as far as I know they were all for sale rather than rent (I can remember saying to my DH if we came into some money I wouldn't have minded buying a penthouse facing the sea as they were very luxurious looking).

Pandora did have several lots of apartments along that front stretch - the Med 1 above the bar on the next block down opposite the amusement arcade place (green/cream tables & chairs and green parasols), the Med 2 Apts next door (possibly under the tobbaconist - used to be a jewellery shop, last year sold booze) and the Samantha Apts a little further down past the Beachboys.

Pandora changed to Eurohotels-direct after they went bust and they still have the Samantha Apts on the front but no longer have the Med 1 & Med 2 (names have changed now incidently).

We stayed at the Med 2 Apts (first floor terrace facing sea) and we could see the Kentucky sign from the balcony so probably on a couple of minutes walk away.

Sounds like it could be that location - either the block where Mango/Amusements are or the block with the Med 1, Med 2 etc are.
Hi,
Thanks for the help :D .
I am staying in Cala Bona in September next year at the Bahia Azul Apartments,I was just looking forward to seeing the old hotel after all these years,It wasn't the best hotel i've stayed in but I have a lot of fond memories of it.
Once again thanks for your help.
tofog68
Have done a check on multimap and if AVINGUDA DE JOAN SERVERA CAMPS is the road then the hotel would be where the Mango shop, Duty Free Perfume shop, Amusement Arcade and Gift Shop is with the apartments above.

From memory the Mango shop was opening as we were there in 1999, the amusement arcade was already open as we have pics of our eldest on the rides outside and I know they were finishing off the apartments above and they were for sale - most were empty tho' so can have only recently been finished.
Where ever have you been Tis, I have'nt had any one to fall out with.

Glad your back to tell us about Cala Bona.

You aint half been missed !

best wishes from that grumpy old B

Dave
Awwww nice to know I've been missed David :D

Will hopefully get chance to be on here a bit more now - half term I'm off work altho' the kids are off so not getting much done anyway!

Speak soon!
Glad you are back Tis - thought you must be working hard. You'll have to email me and let me know about your new job!

What an education this site is, reading a Cala Millor website it mentions the Eureka and how the area around it just had huts for storing seaweed, which was then used for feeding farm animals. As anyone knows who goes to Cala Millor, the seaweed is still washed up (on the rocky areas - not the beach) and is allowed to build up a few days before being taken away by tractor. I had always assumed it was for fertiliser. I'm just glad something good comes from that disgusting smell! Actually, I was once told by a local that if you took some home and put it in your bath, your skin looks wonderful afterwards - don't know whether it was Mallorcan humour but I declined to try that one!

Also found a good website for anyone who hasn't download Google earth. http://www.fasttracksun.co.uk/sun-holidays/Majorca. It is actually a Tour company website but if you click the box saying interactive map underneath the hotel descriptions - you get a normal map plus satellite which you can zoom in on by pressing the plus sign. The good thing is you can look for a street on the normal map, then click satellite and you get the street you are looking for. (Hope the link works - have never done it before :oops: )
Just tried it and it doesn't seem to work :bhead - but if you just type http://www.fasttracksun.co.uk into the address bar - you'll get there! (but then you'll have to find the Mallorca holidays section)

Sorry :oops: :oops: :oops:
I was there in May 1988, still recall those dodgy lifts! Got some pics on my Facebook, unfortunately I can't seem to post them here!
It definetly was at the beginning of Av. Joan Servera Camps, I came across a couple of pics I took when we stayed at the Eureka in 1988. One view is towards the beach, the other of the entrance. A rather unique lift inside the hotel I seem to recall. Is there anyway I can post them up?
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.