Africa/Middle East Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Africa/Middle East inc.Dubai
Hi just got back from my 2nd trip. This time I was at South coast but my last trip was 4 years ago as a single lone female and I stayed at Travellers - next along to yours on North coast. I really didn't encounter any problems. You have to be sensible, as you would anywhere that has such poverty - I take off my necklaces etc when out and about, don't carry more cash than necessary, don't go out alone at night. If the British FCO did traveller advice for my home town (Bedford - and I doubt very different to most other towns) then I dread to think what it would say....several rapes, umpteen muggings and burglaries, a couple of murders in the last year and even a member of public shot by the police....

Last time in Kenya I spent a great deal of time out and about with the locals - I thoroughly enjoyed this and never felt threatened - the overwhelming majority of Kenyans are so warm and friendly and the majority of them are acutely aware that it's the likes of us that ensure their next meal's on the table. I wouldn't to be honest, have ventured out to any of these places completely on my own.

Security has also been stepped up tremendously in Kenya since my last visit and there are police check points everywhere. I am sure that if you just heed the usual traveller advice, hints and tips then you wil be absolutely fine. Oh and I never even noticed any prostitutes at all - maybe I've just led a sheltered life and didn't notice them :lol:

Have a super time - am sure you will!
Hi Shelly.Thanks, Glad you had a lovely time. To be honest I had wonderd whether these books (cant remember names) were a bit OTT as I hadnt heard anything on here and If there is something bad about somewhere then it is usually on here.
We will take the usuall precautions i.e, no jewellery etc. Maybe if anyone else has had good/bad experiences they'll be happy to share them with me too.
Thanks
Just be cautious as you would if you were in a busy city. Common sense is a must and I'm sure you will have a wonderful time.

I visited as a lone female last year with my daughter, who was six at he time of travel and turned seven while we were there. I'm sure you and your family will have a wonderful time!

Caroline & Kirsten :wave
Hi, changing the subject slghtly here, I have been to the Dr today and have been told the only malaria tabs the children can have for Kenya are malarone (£65 for 2 kids). He said that Larium is too strong for them and I'd need to cut the tab into about 8 bits for my 2 year old which is impossible. Anyone have any info on this or any alternatives that for any reason he wouldnt know about and you know of kids that have used them. Thanks (kids are 2 + 9).
Malarone paediatric are specially forulated for use in children, and if thats what your doctor is recomending then i would go or it - it does work out costly but its not worth taking the risk of them contracting malaria - i had a scare last year from not taking malaria tablets (not through my own choice, i booked a late and the nurse wouldnt see me at short notice, but i already had malarone paediatric in from another cancelled holiday for my little un).

Unfortunately Kenya can work out costly (with the extras!), you have the visa fee's to go on top of everything yet too!!

Caroline & Kirsten :wave
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.