Africa/Middle East Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Africa/Middle East inc.Dubai
HI Allyson,
If you read through previous posts you should find some useful info.
Yes there are plenty of hole in the walls, and if you're going H/B I don't see that you will need a lot of money. We took euros & changed them in the hotel.
You can eat very cheaply, BUT I would advise eating in recommended restaurants (buy a good guide book)as hygiene can be a problem. We had no tummy upsets at all & just took reasonable precautions. I would recommend the anitibacterial hand gel available fom chemists. No water needed, but useful if you're out on a day trip or whatever.
I don't know anything about Agadir as we stayed in Marrakesh. But because our flight was to Agadir we had to make the 5 hour bus transfer and because of that I would not recommend car hire. The road snakes through the mountains, & is bumper to bumper with lorries & overtaking is a nightmare. But the local coach drivers know the roads so well they are expert. Just my opinion...others may disagree but it was not for me!
DO do the trip to Marrakesh. It's a fascinating place set against the snow covered Atlas mountains with plenty to see.
Hope this has helped! :wink:
Dear Toastedmallow,
Thanks for the advise, anyone else who knows anything about Agadir or our hotel Argana we would be grateful for your views.
Thanks Allyson :)
Allyson2005, I too are in the same possition as you I have booked Agadir for next year and would love to find out as much of the place as I can. Alsacienne has helped me with a ot of questions why not send her a PM she answers you questions very accurately.
Don't take either the reps or a car, the easiest way is to go to supratours office (these are coaches run by the same folk that run the trains) a return ticket will cost a tenner per person on a coach. Sure you can get a taxi but its not as safe imo.

Book a hotel online (We stayed in the ibis moussafir, which is 100yds from the place where the bus drops you off) that cost 25 quid per night.

Then you are done, much cheaper than anything else ;)
Dont take the reps tours, they wanted 180 for 2 people on a 1 night package.
Sorry Khizman, but I beg to disagree on just one point. If this is your first time in Morocco you will be overwhelmed by the colours, the noise, the hustle and bustle and all the wonderful differences from life over there that makes the holiday so unique.

I would say take a guided tour of Marrakesh. (Even though I agree that the Ibis is a good hotel.)

There are several reasons for this;

You can certainly look up places on a map or in a guide book but it will make you 'noticeable' to all the hustler guides ... Better let yourself be guided - you will see so much more and in a short time frame such as two days (the minimum!) you will see the sites efficiently with coaching to the further-flung areas such as the Palmerie, and with a guide in front and a tour company 'sheepdog' at the rear to make sure you don't get too lost in the souks you will see loads, and the fact that you already have an official guide who will take you to different parts of the souks (and elsewhere should you ask nicely!) a great part of the hassle that can spoil the day is automatically avoided. You can just get on with enjoying yourselves.

There will certainly be spare time in the evening to revisit the Djemma el Fna square at your leisure.

Please make sure you stick to bottled water (even to do your teeth) I speak as one who had a really miserable tum and bum during my visit to Marrakesh (but still enjoyed it immensely!). You will need tissues for the loo and 1 or 5 dirham coins for the attendant. And DON'T believe the Saadian Tombs toilet attendant who insists on being paid in Euros!!!!

Have a really wonderful time - but don't forget that life is very different over there.
Personally I disagree with you, I have only ever been to morocco once. I never did any reading up while in morocco on what there is to see, nor did I do any specifically about marrakesh while I was there.

the decision to go was a spur of the moment kind of thing, we got bored after the second day in agadir :oops:

We spent 2 nights there and saw plenty, to find out what we wanted to see we went to the train station next door that had a little kiosk that sold newspapers etc, that also had this postcard that had a little map of marrakesh and all the things on it :oops: we just showed it to the taxi driver and we were on our way.

imo its totally not worth the extra £130 in my case to go with the tour op, that is where they make their money!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.