Caribbean Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Caribbean
Re - Dom rep
7 Posts
You can check hotel reviews HERE ;)

Pippy :)
1. When is the best time to go to avoid the rain or hurricaines

After November to be on the safe side. I went in December (2nd week) and weather was perfect. Usually rains for a short duration early morning and/or in the evening but this then clears. Also, its not peak season so the place wont be rammed with American's on their holidays. Remember its a tropical climate so you cant really avoid the rain, however, it usually does not rain during main sunbathing hours!!!

2. Wheres the best area to go

I stayed in Gran Ventana in Puerto Plata which is the north of the island which was lovely. The south of the island has the better white sand beaches, but the north has golden beaches and cheaper accomodation.

3. Whats the best hotel and resort to go to have heard iberostar are good we want a four star+ and all inclusive..

As I have only stayed in Gran Ventana I can only recommend this hotel - couldnt really fault it apart from evening entertainments, but it didnt really bother us. I would suggest selecting a resort and then reading about hotels in that area on this website and also on TripAdvisor website.
i have been to both Puerto Plata and Punta Cana over the last few years. Punta Cana has the best beaches by far, they are spectacular.
Each time i have stayed in a Riu hotel. They are all at least 4 star. Can't say enough positive things about them, we have been to Dom Rep 4 times and stayed in a Riu each time. Excellent service and quality. Have stayed in the Riu Bachata 3 times in Bahia Maimon and the Riu Bambu in Bavaro once.

We have travelled in May, June, September and October. All weather perfect except last October when we had 5 days of rain out of 7....boo.

With the Riu hotels they usually have several hotels in one place and you can use the facilities of all of them.
thanks so much for your replys.

Have decided to book to go to the Iberostar Costa Dorada in june 2009 has any one been if so what is it like and is the beach and area ok as some of the reviews are miss leading any info or help will be gratfully recieved bit worried about going early june as its bad weather have heard is this true has any one been in early june.
thanks phil and jacquie
hi claire have also been to the rius in mexico and also the Bachatta am thinking of punta cana next how do they rate against the Riu Bachatta thank you petaraven
Hi Petaraven

We stayed at the Bambu in Punta Cana and it is almost identical to the Bachata - the theme nights in the restaurant, the evening shows etc. even the way the shops are laid out in the lobby!!! The bambu is the 'Clubhotel' of the Punta Cana complex.
The other hotels (Taino etc) are not a patch on the mambo and merengue though, they look really tired and old and really need a facelift!! we did go to the Taino one night and had a great evening in their indoor theatre but were really glad we weren't staying there.
There are 2 palaces on the complex, the Palace Macao and Palace Punta Cana. The palace Macao is cheaper than the usual palaces and although we didnt go in from the outside it looked like it could have been one of the older ones. The Palace Punta Cana however looked absolutely stunning!!!!

The party in carribean street was much better here than in PP, possibly because there is more hotels in this complex which means more people to help with the party atmosphere.
The food was pretty much the same as PP - it was a little strange having things exactly the same!!!

Any specific Qs please let me know!!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.