Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
We have been to both Icmeler and Oludeniz and like each of them. But we would sugest Gumbet - if you like to be near to some night life - or Bitez for a quieter more relaxed holiday.

Marn and Mike.
I can only agree with above. If you like days spent relaxing on the beach, then maybe you could base yourselves in Bitez - and then there's Gumbet for a wider choice in the evenings. There's some great restaurants in both resorts - and you're also close to Bodrum for even more choice.

Another bonus is the short transfer time from the airport - 35 minutes to Bodrum, another 5 to Gumbet or 10 to Bitez. And it's easy to use the dolmus to get around the Bodrum peninsula - with other great places to see.

Don't let anybody tell you that Gumbet is an 18-30 resort. Yes, there's Bar Street but that really is only a very small part of the place. We have a house in Gumbet and visit regularly - and it's a good few years since I fitted into the 18-30 age group!!

Hope you find what you're looking for.

JAKKI xx
I went to Gumbet for a change,wish I hadnt,nothing as nice as Icmeler,but you could try it and form your own opinion.
i have to agree with crispy, ive been to most resorts in turkey and wasnt very keen on gumbet , much prefer icmeler and olu deniz, my favourite place is akyaka but thats too quiet for what you want, there arent many other resorts ive visited that i liked as much as icmeler and olu deniz, cesme was nice but again on the small side and altinkum was quite nice, didnt like any of the resorts in the antalya area either, have a good read up on the resorts as everyone likes different things , good luck

we are off to olu deniz on monday, cant wait :cheers
been to both icmeler and ouldeniz, and think for what your looking for Dalyan might be an option. Went ther this year for 2 weekes, and loved it. lots of nice restraunts and bars. Any plenty of trips, although trips are a little more expensive than icmeler/ouldeniz. The only other thing is the beach is about 30 minutes away but there are taxi boats leaving all day or the dolmus that goes there. Definatley have a look, i was really impressed with the resort.
I too would recommend Gumbet, it is a very popular resort but not too big. The beach is nice an there are loads of good restaurants and bars, ranging from lively ones to laid back places. You will find all age groups there, young families, singles, couples and older people too so something for everyone really.

There is plenty to do, lots of day trips and you can also get around and explore the Bodrum Peninsula very easily and cheaply by dolmus.

If you ike the sound of the resort and want to know anything else please just ask, I lived there for a few years so I should be able to help you.

Kedi
Thanks for all the replies. Gives me plenty ot condsider.

I went to Gumbet on an 18-30 holiday with the lads over 10 years ago, and I don't look back on it as being one of the better holidays we had, so had sort of ruled that out. However if you think its suitable I may be forced to reconsider! I'm sure its changed over the 10+ years and what I'm looking for now will be completely different to what I was looking for then anyway.

I don't remember a great deal about Gumbet to be honest other than a short strip of very lively bars mainly with groups of young people. I assume this is the Bar Street you refer to Jakki? I note that you say this is only a small part of the resort so is there another side with other bars and restaurants more for couples?

Thanks also for the suggestions of Dalyan and Altinkum. I'll read up on these aswell.
18-30 holidays actually pulled out of Gumbet a few years back, and although they have started again this year there are only a couple of hotels so it is nowhere near as bad as it was before.

The short strip is Bar Street but it is only a very small part of Gumbet and that is where the young people do tend to congregate. We have young children so we don't go to bar street and we still find plenty of nice places to go to. We tend to look for good restaurants, of which there are plenty. It is best to avoid bar street for restaurants anyway as they tend to be more expensive than elsewhere and not such good quality. There are also lots of decent bars where couples and families go too. My parents, who are in their 70s, have been a few times too and they loved it; they are certainly not into Bar Street type places.

There are lots of good hotels and apartments too so if you want any recommendations just ask.

Kedi
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.