Flight Only / Airline and Airports

Discussions relating to flight only, airlines and airports.
We flew back from Palma on 16th August, we had the same experience as Tisonlymoi where an area was sectioned off to go through security. We put our hand luggage in trays and went through the scanner which I managed to set off. I was told to remove my shoes and go through again but again it started beeping, the security guy was getting a bit miffed with me so I took off my watch and bangles which went through the xray whilst I went through the scanner only to set it off again :oops: There was a queue forming at this time and I was getting very uncomfortable, having set it off 4 times he ran the hand held scanner over me and it turned out to be my belly bar :oops: the security guy did smile though when he realised what it was but not as much as me so I could run and hide my embrassasment :lol:
Hiya, it's what you wear when you've had your bellybutton pierced. I've have mine done for 9 years and it's never set any machine off before :D
Thanks Shell, you learn something everyday.
I wonder why a belly bar sets it off when ear-rings don't. I won't be getting mine done though!! I have a stainless steel rod in my spine and now a metal plate in my ankle and still don't set it off thankfully!

Pippa
Ooh Pippa that sounds painful. I couldn't work it out either as I was wearing rings and earrings :?
OUTBOUND : Flew from Bristol on 8 September.

All the currenct restrictions in place regarding one small piece of hand luggage per person and the size allowed in place. Had to remove shoes and jackets for separate xray scan and I think every other person was searched by hand, all pockets had to be empty. Daughter's buggy had to be folded and xrayed. All bags were xrayed (as normal). Took daughter's juice, I told them at each stage but I never had to taste it. Had paracetamol and other pills in bag - nothing mentioned about them. Didnt take any extra time than have experienced in previous years despite being told to be at the airport 3 hours before departure which was a pain since we were flying out at 5.30am (2.30am at the airport :( ) and the departure lounge not being open until 2 hours before said flight :!:

INBOUND : Flew from Mahon (Menorca) on 22 September

All baggage xrayed. No restriction on amount of hand luggage carried. Again, daughter's buggy had to be folded and xrayed separately. All pockets had to be empty. Beeper went off when husband went through, separate scan - beeped again. It was his belt. No other restrictions that I could see.

No delays on either flight. Relatively stress free in my opinion. :)
Flew Easyjet Belfast - Newcastle on Sat 23rd morning.

What a mess that was :( Arrived early (like we always do) There must have been about 5 or 6 queues to the check in desks but they were massive and queued right back along the hall. (worst I have ever seen it)

Very slow moving and I was starting to panic a bit, a lot of easyjet flights going out. Finally got checked in (about 40 mins later), went round to go through security and the queue was right down to the top of the travellator by the shops (if anyone has been in BFS they will know what I mean), then it was a snake line to the scanners, took about 25 mins getting through that. What kept the line slow was so many people had liquids and other banned substances in hand luggage, as well as more than 1 piece of hand luggage - Why is beyond me.

Got scanned everything ok, some people had to take shoes off, we didn't (but have in the past for USA), always take belts and coats off anyhow.

So then ran straight to the gate and straight onto the plane...PHEW!! Really thought we were going to miss it. There was people in the security queue as well who were on flights on final calls as well, hope they made them.

So Newcastle - Belfast last night.... A DODDLE!!!! no check in queues, no security queues, staff all friendly and helpful. Made you feel more relaxed. Perfect! (some people were taking shoes off again, but we didn't have too, though again belts and coats as always.)

Now off to NYC in 5 weeks :D
Jaime C :wave
Glasgow - Manchester - Mykonos

No long delays waiting to get to security but my goodness they were very thorough at Glasgow. My hand luggage only contained diabetic medicines, eg bottles of insulin, blood meters, blood test strips, insulin injection pens and needles etc. I had made sure I had a letter from my doctor explaining why I needed to carry it all plus all had the stuff had been properly labelled by the pharmacy. The security guy went through everything, opening the boxes of insulin and test strips and the spent a long time examining the insulin injection pen (the new style syringe most diabetics use now).

I was pretty pleased with myself that I had done it all correctly when he found my box of glucogel tubes that I carry, in case of a bad insulin attack. Taking them stops me from passing out. The box had had a pharmacy label but it wasn't on it now and I couldnt understand where the heck it had gone. After he searched through the bag and couldnt find it he said he would have to confiscate it. I said I wasn't going anywhere without it as it was a lifesaver to a diabetic but he read the rules out to me and wasn't going to change his mind.

Eventually a supervisor came over and she contacted Boots air-side who confirmed that diabetics use and need the product and she let me through but the guy didnt seem too happy.

No problems or delays at Manchester, although the search was just as thorough but they only looked at the glucogel and placed it back in my bag.

Coming home security seemed to be more relaxed and I had no problems at all.
We flew Prestwick to Balice (Krakow) on Saturday and the queues were horrific for security. They were removing drinks etc from bags and asking for cosmetics to be put in cases at check-in. The in-laws had waltzed through security at Girona last week with drinks etc so we sort of expected the same at Balice this moring but no such luck.
We went through the same security procedures as we had at Prestwick (and I had my bag searched after it had been x-rayed) and when we reached the departure gate we had our bags searched again and everyone was searched with a metal detector. Anyone who had bought drinks, toiletries from duty free, etc between the normal security and the departure gate had to dump it.
We flew out from stansted last Friday, they were still strict with security even at 4.30 in the morning !
Had to hand in my cigarette lighter ( sister in law had to hand in her lip gloss last Tuesday ) at security and it seemed to take ages to get through aswell !
Bag went through x-ray and was searched ............ although i knew there wasn't going to be a problem! man next to me had his bag searched and they found a can of spray ( some people will try and push their luck ! ) of course this was taken away !
After x-ray there was also an area where they were at random asking people to take off their shoes...........we was not asked maybe because i had flippy floppy 's on !
Once though to departures we were able to buy a new ciggie lighter and a bottle of water which we took on the plane !

Our return journey yesterday from Alicante was completely different.
Did not try water or any liquids at security although a girl in front of me had a bottle of water and was OK.
I had 2 lighters in my handbag and hubby had 1 in his pocket that he put in the tray with his wallet and car keys.......... nothing was said !
Just normal x-ray and passport/boarding card check !

IMO .........Stansted was very strict and thorough but Alicante to me was no different to last year or even 5/10 years ago.

lou x
Same as the above. Flew from STN on 13/09 and took 1.5 hrs from checking in to getting past security. The queues were doubled on themselves. Coming back from Larnaca last night was incredibly different. No queues and took lighter and water through.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.