Greece - Rhodes Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Rhodes.
Hi

Sounds awful! We will be travelling there next year, so hope they do manage to improve things! At least reading about how dreadful it is we won't get such a shock! Have only ever been to Palma International and Ibiza with the kids so it will be an experience for them!!!!! Years ago (before kids) we went to Zante and Crete and I remember they were certainly not the best either!!
Its not as bad as it sounds.

It will be our fourth time this year, 7 weeks today.

All Greek airports are a law unto themselves.

Kefalonia airport is mad in my opinion and Corfu.

Building work has been going on at Rhodes airport since we went first time 3 years ago, but hey its GMT (Greek Maybe time), after all they have had to sort the Olympics and the Eurovision so maybe the airport had to be put on the back burner for a while.

To me its all part of the holiday, you will love Rhodes and its people.

Regards

Sarah
Has anyone just returned and can tell me just what to expect from Rhodes airport. reviews have said that they have been building to expand and improve over the last year. I've never been before, but it sounds like a nightmare, we've got private transfer organized and I had hoped that would swiftly get us away and into our hotel, but having read the reviews perhaps this wont be the case ! And what about returning, should extra time be allowed to get through check-in etc ?
Like any airport it is there for a purpose. YES it does get crowded, YES it is disorganised and there are queues but you have to remember that they process 1000s of folks of different nationalities and ages every single day, this also includes domestic Olympic flighst as well as cargo and charters.
Last year we noted that the building had certainly improved, they have added air conditioning which was working when we were there around the luggage carousels, and the toilets are very good - cleaned regularly and well supplied with paper. There are still not enough seats but there were plenty of trolleys. The snack bar / food facilities are - as most airports - expensive and of poor quality so take your own snacks and drinks. The gift shop sells the usual last minute gifts that you had forgotten to get (wine, honey , sweets etc) and they are priced competitively.
If you have booked transportation great ! you will get away speedily.
If you chance getting a taxi as we did - you will wait for probably upwards of half an hour - but at least you will be waiting in the sunshine or warm night air ! and then be crammed in with other holidaymakers - my husband and I were crammed into a Mercedes with a Spanish family- mum , dad & 2 children AND masses of luggage for a journey to Stegna and the cab driver will charge each party the same fare. (effectively getting two for one on his terms!)
When we arrived at Rhodes Airport we had to que to get into the terminal building.
I don't think it is a great airport, but its okay and does the job.
You will have to que for a taxi,we waited about ten minutes.
Didn't share it with any others and didn't see any others sharing.
If i paid for the taxi i wouldn't be sharing it with others,there wouldn't be any room anyway.
Believe me they will pack you in if they can along with mum, dad, kids and the family goat!!!!!!
We went to Rhodes in 2004 and 2005, the airport was a lot better the second time around. Just make sure that on your departure you take lots of bottled water as it is very hot and crowded. Both times we went in August and lived to tell the tale so its not that bad, you will survive. Just tell the taxi driver that you won't share a cab and you should be fine.
Done several DIY hols to Rhodes now. Always book a flight that gets there early afternoon then taxi to Lindos. So far we have walked out of the airport to see a line of taxis waiting so have not had to wait or share yet. There are 4 of us and the taxis are normally only licenced to carry 4. Never done a DIY night flight so they might be different as far as waiting goes. Arrivals has got better over the years and you seem to get baggage quicker on day flights than night flights. The fact that the baggage screening machines have been installed about 30 metres in front of the check in desks is one of the main reasons coachfuls of people are held outside the door at departures by reps in an attempt to control the chaos inside. When you travel independantly there is nobody to make you stand outside in the sun :lol:. Although we were flight only and checked in at the front of the queue last year the delay with the x-ray machine meant reps ended up running up and down the queue putting the baggage labels on cases to save time and make sure everybody cleared check in on time. once through check in watch the monitors or keep your ears open for calls to board as the PA system is not the clearest. Dont worry to much about the airport there are far worse ones you could be flying too
Rhodes airport is fine - Please dont worry. Some people dont half winge - it aint exactly manchester, but its nothing like Lagos :lol:
I'll second that Rob. Manchester it ain't but hey! when you arrive it's a means to an end and on the way home-----well you've got to leave anyway to come back again!
Rhodes airport is good compared to some of the other "Greek island" airports. Just take plenty of water.Last time 04 we started queuing outside in the afternoon sun!!!!
Roll on Pefkos in September. Can`t wait to sample the Stifado at Spitaki, with a Mythos or three :lol:

Don
Just arrived back after a wonderful week in Stegna.
The airport in rhodes was great got off plane in rhodes at 1.15 got luggage almost straight away we got a taxi to our resort and we were on the beach in Stegna at 2.30.
Coming back had taxi again (as we were the only people going to and from the resort) no hanging around straight through check in and into departure lounge within 15 mins - perhaps we were lucky.
Have been to Rhodes a couple of times before but found the airport at bit full but no major problems.
The bulding work in Rhodes Airport has been going on for years. It seems to be a never ending project and from one year to the next it is sometimes difficilt to see any progress. The Airport is the worst part of Rhodes, but just accept it for what it is and don't worry about the airport, as once you are in Rodos you will slow down into the Greek pace of life.
Here here Don

6 weeks tomorow and I will be having a Mythos or 3, or even a Grants Vodka or 4.

The airport is a means to an end.

Have a lovely time in September.

Regards

Sarah
Oh for goodness sake, another thread about Rhodes airport. It's okay, stop whingeing and enjoy ya hols.
I've been to Rhodes three times now and never had a problem with it. I don't sleep there and what is 1 hour out of anybodies holiday? Go with the flow.

I intend to go back next year as well. I'm with you Rob - no more whingeing.

Parky :) :)
I've never found Rhodes airport to be particularly bad - the worst one I've come across is Corfu. All Greek airports that I've been to in the last couple of years - Chania, Rhodes, Heraklion, Kos - have luggage scanning in place prior to check in, none have enough scanners...but I've no objection to the extra security checks!

The secret is (if you're travelling independently as we do) to lurk inside and scan/check in as soon as it's allowed for your flight!
:offtop GALLION YOU HAVE A PM IN YOUR IN BOX

sorry to hi-jack the thread

wizard
got back yesterday.when we landed at the airport it took just 1 hour from getting off the plane and onto the coach.it took longer to get to the hotel in kolymbia.we were 9th drop and there was still people on the bus after us.coming back was just the same till we got to the airport.we got dropped off and had to wait about an hour outside ,i got the cat with one familly they just got out of a taxi and took their place in front of us.by the time we got through passport control we only had less than an hour before take off :roll: from hotel to departure lounge took about 2 1/2 hours.by the way it was 2-35 am dep
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.