Spain - Costa Brava Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Costa Brava.
there are plenty of resorts along that coastline,,,,,,,,,,but at the risk of repeatin me self,,, we stayed at Santa susanna and travelling to barcelona was really easy from there, one train at 6 euros return each,,,,,,, it was really easy travelling to any resort there, took us about 30 mins by bus to get there, less for lloret and less for tossa?
Public transport in Spain is very cheap and you will find that your savings on the ticket will not have been wiped out. I would recommend the train for which a ticket between the two will cost between five and fifteen euros depending on which train you use. You will be to ascertain exactly what the options are and what they cost from http://www.spanish-airport-guide.com/girona-barcelona.html

Barcelona is not as bad as it can appear to be. Las Ramblas can be tricky but as long as you keep your wits about you, it's not too much of a problem. Just don't walk down there if it worries you too much! As far as the rest of the city is concerned then if you take the same precautions that you would take in any major world city including British cities then you shouldn't go far wrong.

Sitges is not near Girona! It's the other side of Barcelona from Girona and so it isn't near to the airport!

I've stayed in Santa Susanna too and it's not a bad place but it isn't Barcelona and you will not get the city buzz there as you would in Barcelona. It takes just over an hour to get into the city from there, so that's two hours out of your sightseeing time, which if only a few days would mount up to a large proportion of the time available.

Personally, I found Barcelona a friendly, beautiful, wonderful city and did not encounter any problems but then we deliberately avoided the really touristy areas such as Las Ramblas.
There is a bus service run by Ryanair that stops right outside the terminal door call Barcelona Bus and it goes none stop to the centre of Barcelona not sure on the price though.

If you go by train from Girona to Barcelona you will have to get a taxi from the airport to Girona train station to be able to get the train.

Barcelona is a great city but like all cities you need to keep you eyes and ears open provided you do this you will have a very nice time.

I hope you have a good time and enjoy yourself.
  • Edited by a1gjv 2006-10-18 22:45:11
Charliegirl,
Stay in Sitges! We had a week there a couple of years ago as an alternative to staying in Barcelona. I find 4 days enough in any city as they are so exhausting.
Sitges is WONDERFUL! Full of character, lovely windy traffic-free streets and great restaurants and a lovely promenade.
Probably the gay capital of Spain, so a very liberal carefree atmosphere.
We travelled into Barcelona about 3 times by train ( 40 Minutes) and very reasonable (can't remember price) & also to Tarragona another lovely city.
Hope this helps! :wink:
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.