Holiday Complaints

Do you have a holiday complaint? For help and advice post in here.
I've checked my booking made in November and in the baggage allowance all it states is that I am allowed one piece of hand luggage (and their dimensions) and one piece of hold luggage weighing no more than 20k.
A quick check on their website states 15kg checked luggage and passengers may not use the unused allowance of others. there may be no pooling/sharing of allowances for parties travelling together.

fwh
My booking form states we can pool our baggage together as we are on one booking. Today on their website the information has changed and it is no longer allowed as oppsoed to last week when you could pool your baggage together.. So does this mean the info I have on my bookiing form is no longer valid?
My booking states only 15kg per person and we can pool the baggage as we are on one booking. Seems it may vary but what they now state on their web site differs to the info on my booking form.
Futurebride

Why not contact Ryanair, and ask them when they changed / amended the booking conditions on their website.

Driver02
Futurebride

As this is ryanair you are travelling with I would accept what you now see on their website.There is much written on various web sites about this outfit and baggage seems to be one of the top gripes.They appear to be very precise about baggage weights and their excess charges are Very high!!!..Be Aware..What they give at one end they try to recoup at the other............They are also the only loco with a 15kg linit as well
I'd have thought that the contract was made when you booked and paid for your flights and terms & conditions of carriage applying at that time would take precedence over future changes.

Are Ryanair permitted to retrospectively change contracts ?

Mike
Flybe have announced that from February 2006 they will be charging for checked luggage, £2 per bag if booked on internet and £4 per bag at the desk. They have increased their hand baggage to 10 kilos instead of 5 in the hope that it will encourage more people not to check in bags. Apparently it will mean a reduction of £1 a ticket. The trouble is, if they have a lot of people carrying all their belongings in hand baggage then surely they will need a lot more room in the lockers because some people have huge bags for just 5 kilos - I can see problems ahead.
Airlines are trying to encourage passengers to carry their luggage with them. But what will happen is delays on check-in as a result of bags being too large in size, having to re-pack etc etc.
Ryanair has recently increased its excess charges by £1 up to £5.50 and they will charge for every kilo!! The allowance has been 15kg for quite a while.
Many passengers that travel with the low-cost airlines for one reason or another do not travel with much luggage, therefore these so called 'reductions in tickets' as a result of less hold luggage or hold luggage charges is appealing to the majority of the market.
Its just another money making scheme, which unfortunately we all put up with because of the low prices :roll: :( :evil:
Its just another money making scheme, which unfortunately we all put up with because of the low prices

Whilst I understand what you are saying I cannot fully agree with your comment.
Here on HT we keep getting complaints of excess luggage charges, even when people have got a 20kg allowance. People often take with them far more than they need or use. The restrictions/charges do at least focus your mind when packing. The budget airlines serve a purpose by getting people from A to B. They have, with the reduced prices, made it possible for us to visit places that previously were out of reach due to the high cost that was involved. It costs them money to carry luggage just as much as passengers, something that does seem to escape people's minds at times. They have to recover the costs somewhere. I therefore do not see it as a money making scheme. I do agree that the idea of carrying your own luggage is a problem. It would be easier if everyone carried a bag of the same dimensions - we do however seem to upgrade it to larger and larger sizes. They do advertise as "No Frills" and that is what they are. You get what you pay for.

fwh
My flight with Ryanair didnt go off to a perfect start but I realise we do not live in a perfect world! We went from gate 13 to 8 then to 5 and then to 4 and then back to gate 13. Of course people were panicing because they wanted to either sit with family or get a good seat. So we were all mad rushing from one gate to another. I felt sorry for those with small babies.
It was pretty funny all of us running form A to B like we were being chased. The staff were friendly(better than Aerlingus whose staff never smile!) and the flight was lovely. Our baggage allowance was fine, we never went over.And as the flight was so cheap customers were not bothered about paying the excess.

My original question was that on booking and receiving confirmation we were allowed to pool our luggage. At a later date Ryanair changed their pooling allowance so I was wondering where I stood.

I would use Ryanair again for a cheap weekend away but would warn people to read their terms and condition on their website to be aware of excess baggage amongst other things such as disabled customers which was highlighted in Watch dog recently.
At a later date Ryanair changed their pooling allowance so I was wondering where I stood.

I would use Ryanair again for a cheap weekend away but would warn people to read their terms and condition on their website to be aware of excess baggage amongst other things

You highlight how important it is to read the terms and conditions each time and not assume that it will be the same as before. People often complain that something has changed and they were not told. We all at times do not really listen when we are told. We think we have heard it all before. In your case they changed the conditions after you had made the booking. I do think if people took a little more care that there would be less complaints.

fwh
Hi Fwh

I am a nightmare for reading terms and conditions and yes sometimes people do willy, nilly :shock: fly over the terms and conditions. Luckily I had my printed conformation which stated we were allowed to pool however they also state they can change their term and conditions at any time. Still though it was not a problem and the flight was good.
Hubby and I flew with ryanair on 3rd january and check in staff pooled our baggage allowance as we were on same booking reference. If they've changed the policy and it's now 15kgs per person with no pooling allowed even if 2 people are on same booking then it could cause problems for hubby and I.
I think it is our old friend " Discretion" that may often apply. We have never had any problems, although we have always been under anyway. Several years ago my hand luggage was weighed at just over 5kg - my wife only had a handbag which weighed 1kg. Everything had been put in my backpack as usual. They insisted that I reduce the weight. I took out a book (thats what it was all about and put it in my wifes bag. They were happy - put it back in mine when we left the desk. When youngest went to work in Germany he was 20kg over and they did not charge him. Luck of the draw. If the terms say 15kg then that is what it is.

fwh
My son as recently booked flights from Liverpool to Londonderry for a friends wedding next year. He booked for 7 persons and was charged credit card charges for each separate person, I think this is wrong as it is just one transaction, but thats maybe how they recoup some money back when they offer cheap flights. The flight was just £5.99 each way per person plus taxes, worked out at £35 total but the are having to pay just over £40 with this credit card charge. I know its still cheap flight but its the principle that matters. Regards Jayjan
Hubby and I have used RyanAir many times without trouble with luggage. We usually have one suitcase only for the two of us. Average 20 kgs. I wonder what RyanAir would do then as 1 person would be 5 kgs over limit and the other travelling with only hand luggage. Or do we have to take 2 suitcases with us? Not logical as there would be twice the amount of handling and checking in.

Cic
What's logic got to do with it...........it's the money they want :lol:

Being sensible now, Ryanair are, like most budget airlines, trying to get the traveler to carry ONLY hand-luggage. They have increased the hand-luggage weight (and I believe some airlines have removed any hand-luggage weight imit) and providing the bag does not exceed reasonably generous dimensions they are happy.

You get to do the lifting and carrying and I expect that saves them money on the baggage handling services at airports.

I can accept this in principle if you are on a few day's city break or travelling to your private apartment, villa where clothes are stored but for a two week hotel break (we fly Jet2 for 17 night stay in French Riviera in summer) you need to take more than just hand-luggage.
Hubby and I have used RyanAir many times without trouble with luggage. We usually have one suitcase only for the two of us. Average 20 kgs. I wonder what RyanAir would do then as 1 person would be 5 kgs over limit and the other travelling with only hand luggage. Or do we have to take 2 suitcases with us? Not logical as there would be twice the amount of handling and checking in.

We have just experienced exactly your description. Ryanair at Girona said if we wanted to avoid extra charges at checkin, we needed to remove 5 KG from the bag. We did this and I carried a plastic bag around with me. I find this very confusing as we have previously travelled as a couple and used 1 bag to check in.
Now we will use 2 bags, weighing more in total and requiring extra effort to administer. I find this new rule totally confusing.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.