Caribbean - Cuba Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Cuba
Sailing in Cuba
2 Posts
I was told that nowhere in Cuba could you sail solo.

I don't think that can be the case because there are a number of companies that provide 'bareboat' ie crewless yachts for charter in Cuba. But I think that with regard to sailing solo from AI resorts it will vary depending on location. For example, I would expect the authorities to be very cautious watchful with regard to taking out boats on your own from resorts in the northwest of the island - after all its only a relatively short hop across the strait to Florida from that north coast of that end of the island and there could be worries that it you might plan to pick up Cuba nationals with a view to them making a dash for it. The American coastguards aren't keen on it either and patrol their waters very rigorously! I wouldn't want to chance it in a Hobbi but then it is a step up from a tractor innertube which many Cubans do attempt it in/on :yikes

I would also think that it would make a difference whether you are on the Atlantic coast (as Guardelavaca is) as opposed to the southern Caribbean coast. The Atlantic coastline has a reputation for being windier for much of the year and this will be a factor too.

But I think that compared to the Dominican Reepublic the biggest difference might be that the Cuban authorities are now very hot on safety when it comes to tourists. Thay are very reluctant to take chances when it comes to the possibility of tourists being put at risk and hence the industry as a whole being damaged. You might find that it will make a difference if you hold any RYA certification that you can take with you as evidence that you do know what you are doing. It can be difficult to find marinas or boat hirers here in the UK willing to let you take a boat out solo without that and in some ways I think it's a positive rather than a negative that these sort of things are being taken seriously elsewhere too.

In the end, if this is an important part of your holiday the only way you'll get a definitive answer is to contact the hotels direct as part of your research before booking.

SM

SM
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.