Caribbean - Cuba Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Cuba
Thanks for sharing that SMa... always good to hear of your adventures in Cuba!!

What went wrong with the inbound sector?

ATB,J.
Oops! I forgot to come back to that! The inbound flight from Manchester is due to land at around 2.45pm local time so you would think that they would know by 11.00am whether it had left Manchester on time or not wouldn't you? Well, no, this is Cuba! We were told that it was expected on time so we left Santiago at around 11.30am and arrived at around 2.00pm at Holguin to find the airport deserted and that it was delayed by more than 2hrs and that instead of departing at 5.05pm we were unlikely to take off before 7pm! Those on Thomas Cook packages had clearly had their transfers re-scheduled as there was no sign of them arriving but we had no option other to hang around and wait for the check-in desks to open. They eventually did this at around 4.00pm just as the Thomas Cook transfer coaches were pulling up. So we literally ran across the terminal hall to get to the front of the queue! It meant that we could jump the queues for paying the departure tax and then immigration before going through the security checks to the departure lounge. Anybody who has been through Holguin will know that there isn't actually much to do there to pass the time other than queue for everything if you aren't at the front of the check-in queue!

They didn't actually start boarding until nearly 7.00pm and it took at least 45mins to get everybody aboard. Why? Well by now the daily late afternoon/early evening thunderstorm had started and the rain was coming down in torrents so as there are no airbridges they were loading everybody by bus so that passengers didn't get soaked. One bus carrying 45 people at a time to a fully booked out Airbus A330! The co-pilot was incredulous when apologising to passengers for the delay - he was audibly shocked to have been told by the ground crew with a shrug of the shoulders when he queried this process that 'This is Cuba'. I can only assume that he hadn't flown to Cuba much before! Apparently the plane had been delayed by 4 hrs the previous day on its flight from Las Vegas to Manchester due to a passenger being ill and having to be off-loaded.

Once we took off we did make up some time due to the strong tail winds but this was at the price of severe turbulence at one point in the journey. I actually slept through it because I was so exhausted that I eventually just collapsed into a deep sleep but the last thing I remember before doing so was hearing the toddler across the aisle sobbing and repeatedly wailing 'I don't like this, I don't like this'. 'You and me both, kid' was my final thought before falling into oblivion! I haven't yet got my act together to check whether we would be entitled to compensation but my guess would be that having to turn back shortly after take-off from Las Vegas with a sick passenger would count as exceptional circumstances.

All this meant of course that I missed my planned for train north home to Scotland etc and in the end the journey home from leaving Santiago to walking through my own front door took me exactly 24hrs and boy was I glad to be home!

SM
Many thanks for your trip report SMa I too always enjoy reading them :tup a great disappointment to find out you were going to miss the Festivale though, what a let down. But still it appears you had a good time albeit a little quieter than expected.

The home cooked food sounds good, and I sympathise with your rice and potatoes dilemma, how to get the correct amount without waste. Sounds lovely mind you.

Regarding your flight delay it's always worth a shot. The airline would have known that the incoming flight was going to have a knock on effect to the Manchester departure to Holguin. Didn't the airline have a mobile number that they could use to text you of the delay?

Here's some information regarding flight delays:-

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/travel/flight-delays

Good luck & thanks again for your report.
Yes, they did but didn't txt and more to the point the local tourist office that our transfer was booked through had phoned the airport agents Holguin at 11.00am local time (4.00pm UK time) to check whether the flight was on time and had been assured that it was. Hence why they collected us as previously arranged rather than delaying leaving Santiago. By that time it should have been very clear that the plane had not taken off on time at 10.00am UK time and would have been delayed arriving. Thanks for the link - I will look into it - but my gripe is less about ompensation - these things happen - but that we had a needless extra 2 hrs of hanging around Holguin airport. I could have had one last mojito in the terrace of the Casa Granda instead! And it certainly would have cost half the price of the one at the bar in the departure lounge at Holguin!

SM
I remember texting my friend somewhere in Spain ( can't remember where she was now) to inform her that the flight she was waiting at the airport for was going to be delayed by a few hours. I knew, because my SIL was stuck at LB airport waiting to board on the outbound journey.

My friend enquired at her departure airport and they didn't know a thing about it......result was it was my friend who was informing her fellow passengers what was happening when my SIL advised me they were boarding...
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.