General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
Sarongs
23 Posts
They are great thanks for the link definately going to be my next must haves. lol

Much better than fighting with sarongs when its a bit breezy on the beach.
HI, there is a topic on the Saress already running. Not sure where it is but somebody started it last year. Be great if the mods could merge ;)
Take a look at this Sarong ---->
.What Sarong?????? :que
.Nothing, What's wrong with you!!! :rofl
Do seem to remeber that people started to see these being sold in Lakeside, Bluewater, Romford and similar shopping malls for about half the price they are on the official site and I would hope the Up North malls would have them also.

So it might be worth shopping around if anyone still wants one. They were the genuine article apparently and not a repro.

Doe :wave
ive got lovely sarongs from Goa for £1-£2 each, and they're lovely. Ive still got a nice sarong which i bought a few years ago, and im taking it to Turkey with me this September.
Puchased one last year and thought it was useless for me . Not only did it take a lot of fathing I needed a full length mirror to adjust it over all my lumps and bumps and unfortunately my pool bag doesnt hold one .The darn thing also just slipped off both my sholders every time I bent over . :cry

I'm sticking with my sarong and my 2 short sleeved kaftans thatI purchased from M+S at Easter.

They also sold them on Ebay much cheaper :tup
I'm happy with sarongs after SMa I think it was told us how to tie them properly. I'd spent years looking a right old state until she instructed us!
I agree with lyn, a kaftan is much easier and comfortable to wear than a sarong, I have them in all lengths. I did learn how to tie a sarong, by sort of crossing the ends over and tying it around my neck, but it would still keep flapping open :( . So at my age I find kaftan is best to maintain my dignity :D
x lassi
I'm happy with sarongs after SMa I think it was told us how to tie them properly. I'd spent years looking a right old state until she instructed us!

Glad I could be of assistance, SandC, and even gladder that in my student days a fellow student who happened to be Kenyan told me :D
Sometimes I find kaftans a little too uncomfortable if it is too hot. That's why mine have to be short sleeved but a sarong I just wrap around me in the usual uncool way tying it over the top of my boobs to the side . I usually use a tiny little safety pin at the bottom if I'm going for a walk to stop it flapping open . Thats about as good as it gets for me , especially when I'm so hot and bothered I couldnt give a stuff what I look like :rofl Oh I am so unsophisticated (I can't even spell that :oops: )

lyn
That's my problem with sarongs, not got enough boobs to hold it up- :rofl
x lassi
I've found your post quite comforting Lyn. That is exactly how I tie my sarongs as well. So uncool :rofl but when you are as short as I am they still come down to your knees, so they are quite a good cover up for when you get off your sunbed, as I don't like waliking about anywhere in just my cossie, even if it's just to get a drink of water from the pool or beach bar.
I have a couple of pairs of shorts i use sometimes as well but just tried them on over the weekend and looks like they might be staying at home this year . BIT TIGHT :rofl
Glad I could be of assistance, SandC, and even gladder that in my student days a fellow student who happened to be Kenyan told me

Hi SMa!!! You were a great help to me with the hat in the cowboy hat thread - I wonder if you would be so kind as to repeat your sarong tying instructions - I didnt see it last year! :wave:
Tootsie, your wish is my command :D

PS re the 'how to look good in a sarong' question, the answer is not to take the two corners and tie them together. Doing this has the effect of pulling it tight, round and under your bum at the back - not a good look on anybody other than the really skinny - or those with the confidence to carry off the J-Lo look. A friend from Kenya demonstrated why African women always look so much better. The trick is to take one corner in your left hand and then with your right hand pull up just enough of the top edge of the sarong to form a little 'ear' and use this to tie the knot. This leaves you with the right hand corner and spare fabric hanging loose. You can then either leave this as it is to create a draping effect, pull it across as a wrap around panel and tuck it in and thus making sure that it doesn't flap and keeps your legs covered, or if it is long enough, pleat it before tucking it in in the way that saris are. This leaves it much looser around your bum whether you wear it at your waist or pulled up over you boobs.

Another way of doing it is to leave both top corners loose and just pull-up enough fabric from the top edge to form two 'ears' and tie these together leaving two drapes to either hang loose or be tucked in to right and left and hence overlapping either side of the knot. If you've tied it above your boobs, this is a really good way of avoiding the front opening up as you wlk along and making anything other than the flattest of tummies looking like a pregant bulge poking through the gap! But her best tip of all was to not buy the typical beach sarong sold in the UK unless you are quite thin because they are too small and for anybody who's a size 16 or bigger there just isn't enough fabric to tie them elegantly. Her advice was to buy a length of light fabric at least twice but preferably two and half times the size of your hips and hem the ends yourself because this then gives you enough spare fabric to tie it up the first way as suggested above and then either wrap the loose end right round you to give you the look of a complete wrap around skirt or else pleat it in the front and disguise your tummy.

SM
ooo cheers!

You would have :rofl at me last night trying to do that - it was like something from the Krypton Factor!

But I ended up with a nice shaped sarong - and getting better with practice :wave:
I feel more comfortable in a kaftan, think sarongs are sooooooo 20th century ;)
The saress is really a dress though....and as for sarongs...there are LOADS more 'uses' for them than just 'a sarong'! I've used them as bedlinen when sleeping in mud huts in India where the ORIGINAL bedlinen looks erm !!!!!

They're also an ideal garment to wear when travelling in places like Cambodia, India and Thailand when 'needs must' ;) - plus as a replacement 'towel' for sunbeds. Also to act as a 'cover' for shoulders when entering temples, travelling on public transport.

It's obviously personal preference, but I prefer not to cover completely ie sleeves plus the fact the only time I DID try a kaftan on the beach I had all sorts of problems trying to get it on and off when you're hot and sticky. :duh
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.