EX-Pats and Owners Abroad

Discussions for EX-Pats and owners abroad or those who are considering this idea.
Hi

I think you will more than likely find that English schools are generally private.

AngloInfo usually has a lot of information and I've found this, which gives a basic explanation of the different levels of education: http://cyprus.angloinfo.com/information/10/schooling.asp

You may find your children will have to take an assessment test prior to starting school and often they will put your child back a level, which helps them to get a better understanding of Greek if you put them in the local school. They can move up if they progress quickly.

There is a Cyprus forum dedicated to the Eastern side of the island and there has been a thread on schooling there too, probably one of a number of threads I would imagine: http://www.easterncyprus.com/viewtopic.php?t=9421

Good luck!

It's a big step to take if you are a single parent with young children...

CwB
my sister has just enrolled her son into the local school and he loves it. :) She looked at all the options before hand. He is in a class of 10 and has 4 teachers.
thanks for that guys!
wow fiona .. 10 kids :really i think my girls would love that! how is he getting on with the cypriot kids? see the girls are the type of people who would think of the worst not the best " what if there saying something about me horrible and i dont understand " " what if i don't make any new friends " " how do i find my way around the school on my own i will walk in lessons late and everyone stare "

thanks for those websites ^ il have a look right now :)
CourtneeLouise X
my sister was set on putting her son to the American school. It had impressed her. The international school wasn't ideal as she felt that the academic side was all important to the headteacher and
1. my nephew will probably never excel in academic subjects
2. she heard from one or two others that their children had not settled at all.
However, they moved at the beginning of the summer and her son found friends who all went to the local school. She found there was a mixture of local and British children and the school was a happy place. However, children are expected to know some Greek before they start. She took on a tutor of the holidays and he took to the language surprisingly well. He got his way and enrolled at the local school :) They do put children in a class a year younger until they can speak Greek well.
Just an update, eldest is now living in Cyprus and we decided its too dear for private schools so she has been registered in Paralimni Gymnasium and starts on may 13th as a listener till 2010. she went to see the school today and said it was really nice with a mixture of cultures and the children seem waaaay more mature!.

The little one, we will be on the move late may/early june and she will be starting Paralimni 4 (or 3) which is also a public school just hoping they will settle in!. Seems like all the other new people do so they shall be fine!.
Thanks for letting me know about your nephew Fiona it has put my kids at ease!.

CourtneeLouise x
not be on here for a while so only just seen this post.
I have also to add that there have already been amazing results for my nephew- both in maths and language( English and Greek).
Yea my girls too.
I think its an amazing expeirence for the kids, my eldest has been at Paralimni Gymnasium for 6 weeks now and can understand most things, she has picked it up very fast.. She did speak basic before we moved here but has progressed really well :)

CourtneeLouise x
Your daughter's success is great to hear. I hope it makes you more relaxed too, because if the children who move are happy in their new environment, then their parents can feel more secure that they've made a good decision. Congratulations, and here's to more happiness ahead.
Yeah i totally agree with you on that 100%!!.
I am working full time too so we are sorted now :)
Thank you so much for that post. :)
CourtneeLouise xx.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.